Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477707 times)

tokengirl

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 07:17:05 pm »

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 07:26:20 pm »

Ouch!

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 09:12:46 pm »

This taught me not to stack my cylindrical panos.  Bruce

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 05:40:14 am »

This taught me not to stack my cylindrical panos.  Bruce

That's no mistake: that should get you into the gallery world!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 05:42:01 am »

I know the feeling; happens after the morning shower each and every winter, into which Mallorca has suddenly dipped!

Thanks for playing!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 04:14:12 pm »

This conversion was from a very early shot on the venerable D200; does anybody know if it is possible, or even worthwhile having the thing converted exclusively for b/w and removing that filter that sits in front of the sensor?

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:11:30 pm by Rob C »

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 05:46:33 am »

No: I think he is talking about the "Bayer filter", so each photo-sensor receives the full spectrum of light.
But I am afraid that "filter" is so deeply embedded into the sensor, that I do not think it can be removed.

fredjeang

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 11:30:24 am »

Ah, in this case there's not a lot of choice: A Leica M or Sigma Foveon or MF.
Rob, you could try a Foveon for very cheap, 300 euros for a DP1. The camera is slow and basically a manual camera.
But the file render is very Kodachrome. In prints it performs bloody well.
Different planet but worth a try.
http://www.sigma-dp1.com/

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 12:08:25 pm »

The M9 would be very nice, but only as a present!

I'd thought of my D200 because since I got the D700 it has done next to nothing at all but sit around in a box. So, converting it to b/w seemed a sort of 'dedicated' function for it. But, perhaps that's all crazy: I still own a perfect F3. Trouble is, I gave away my processing tanks etc. and stripped the office of all its darkroom conversion kit.

But still, I can probably find another tank for films and the toilet can easily be lightproofed. I had used sheets of that silver/grey material that they use here for making curtains as protection in windows against sunlight - my wife had sewn them to size and fitted velcro to a large such sheet, and I stuck 'n' stapled the mating side of velcro onto the wooden frame of the window in the office. It was very quick and very light-light. A similar sheet on the doorway into the office and I was as blind as a bat but without radar.

But, I think I would probably prefer to use tranny material and scan, even though it is a real pain in the ass. Better still would be a 500C-type, but that would mean a hugely expensive scanner - I wouldn't use an Epson. I would also like an M film model, but digi has a way of corrupting the soul... that three-minute mind.

Rob C

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 08:16:32 am »

@ tokengirl, priceless picture
@ Rob C, doesn't only happen in Mallorca, also in Lier (Belgium)

Translation of the sign:
YOU DON"T SEE US, BUT WE SEE YOU
Pls. use the public toilet further down the street

apparently some people don't mind to be "seen"
pieter, aka pegelli

fredjeang

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 08:25:15 am »

2 for Rob Taken with my mobile phone, to convince him to go to the beaches...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:28:33 am by fredjeang »

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 10:46:58 am »

1+

That's a beautiful black/white shot. You have created an exceptional sense of curiosity in me. HC-B did the same to me with some of his street life shots too.

Regarding the later colour shots with the mobile: I had no idea you could get that sort of quality (at least, on a monitor) out of them. My movil has no camera. Yet.

A question: why the hell are you assisting? You don't need to learn anything more. All that techie stuff about different post systems: leave that to your assistant once you get shooting. Your eye already sees all you need to see.

A word of advice from my personal experience: I got work because of my 'book' - they used to call them portfolios - but I was seldom expected/required/allowed to shoot in a similar manner. It only proved I could think photographically and provided would-be clients with a sense of security. Fred, concentrate on making your book. Once you have that...

Go for it.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 11:00:41 am »

@ tokengirl, priceless picture
@ Rob C, doesn't only happen in Mallorca, also in Lier (Belgium)

Translation of the sign:
YOU DON"T SEE US, BUT WE SEE YOU
Pls. use the public toilet further down the street

apparently some people don't mind to be "seen"

To be brutally honest, it isn't so much the tourist that make the mess - there are no football hordes looking for somewhere to leak up in the north, either. What we do have, is a strange mindset that allows dogs to shit anywhere they feel like it. Some are small and you might just skid; others are rocks and you could break your leg.

There are indeed laws about it, as well as stands on some streets where you can get a plastic wrapper bag, but they don't seem to be enforced. Just like bicycles: one-way street signs apparently don't apply to cyclists. I don't suppose the dogs use bikes, but you never know what's going on while you are looking the other way.

However, the worst place I ever saw for rubbish was Sardinia. Amazing display of total lack of concern about space and environment out there in the sticks...

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 11:21:18 am »

That's a beautiful black/white shot. You have created an exceptional sense of curiosity in me. HC-B did the same to me with some of his street life shots too.

Regarding the later colour shots with the mobile: I had no idea you could get that sort of quality (at least, on a monitor) out of them. My movil has no camera. Yet.

A question: why the hell are you assisting? You don't need to learn anything more. All that techie stuff about different post systems: leave that to your assistant once you get shooting. Your eye already sees all you need to see.

A word of advice from my personal experience: I got work because of my 'book' - they used to call them portfolios - but I was seldom expected/required/allowed to shoot in a similar manner. It only proved I could think photographically and provided would-be clients with a sense of security. Fred, concentrate on making your book. Once you have that...

Go for it.

Rob C
Thanks for the kind words Rob.

Assisting? Well, I learn in 2 different areas: 1 is the lightning, my knowledge on lightning and how to use it was lacking, and then I learn about a side of the business. Also, it gives me money, the hability to work to a level with all the means and probably the most important was to be aware of the field reality in a working team. But you're right about the personal portfolio. And also right about giving the tech and pp to others. Now that I'm starting to feel more confident it's time to build my own imagery in serious.

Mobile phone, the "nacked photographer" is downsampled twicish and zero pp. It's right out the box.  You can see the pixelised blue, so quality is not that much, not that bad either but there are better mobile phones now, mine is rather old. The first beach pic is post producted so much cleaner.

Cheers.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 12:17:07 pm »

To be brutally honest, it isn't so much the tourist that make the mess - there are no football hordes looking for somewhere to leak up in the north, either. What we do have, is a strange mindset that allows dogs to shit anywhere they feel like it. Some are small and you might just skid; others are rocks and you could break your leg.
Rob C

This is indeed "local mess", no tourists around.
Also agree on the dogs, but it's their bosses who need a lesson.

Photographed this sign at a cemetary:

I'm shocked there is a need to put it up there....... 
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 03:13:56 pm »

This is indeed "local mess", no tourists around.
Also agree on the dogs, but it's their bosses who need a lesson.

Photographed this sign at a cemetary:

I'm shocked there is a need to put it up there....... 

Holy shit!

But really, I think the problem is often the other way around: the dogs are the bosses.

;-)

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 03:21:12 pm »

Bugwood Forest ....

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 03:53:37 pm »

Holy shit!

But really, I think the problem is often the other way around: the dogs are the bosses.

;-)

Rob C
It's the same the whole world over, to quote the song: I took the one below outside Cape Town.

Jeremy

grouchomarx

• http://portostreetshooting.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 05:58:39 pm »

Shopping mall restroom signs:

Last weekend @ Porto:

Train Station:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:43:36 pm by grouchomarx »
"It's all so boring here, Margo - there's nothing but playboys and tennis pros."
http://portostreetshooting.blogspot.com/

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 03:45:29 am »

Hi Rob. Good idea. Here's an orphan shot from earlier this year in Scotland.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 75   Go Up