Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477677 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #1280 on: October 02, 2012, 04:47:46 am »

I met this waitress a couple of weeks ago and wondered how her unconventional looks would work on film. Naturally, I’d forgotten that I wouldn’t be using film, and also that being autumn, the weather can’t be depended upon to co-operate. I also wondered how my eyes would cope since starting on the drops to contain pressure.

Well, focussing didn’t become any the more easy; the weather held up for enough time to fill a rapid Sandisk with 77 snaps, and I still don’t really buy into the conversion of digital capture into b/white. I’d rather convert Kodachromes or, better yet, have my old 500s back and recommission my darkroom at least far enough to permit the processing of b/white film! Having written which, I realise I’d forgotten the horrifying cost of a worthwhile MF scanner!

Digital capture converts quite well for non-human subject matter, but I lack the PS skills to do it properly (convincingly) with skin. I guess you just can’t fake skin easily like you can brick, stone or water.

Anyway, here are two that I decided to spend time pimping. The camera was the D700; the colour shot a 1.8/50 Nikkor manual, hand-held at f4 and 1/2500, with the b/w via a 2.8/135 Nikkor manual, tripoded, at f4 and 1/250. Quick fall away in light over about thirty minutes!

Rob C

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:29:26 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #1281 on: October 02, 2012, 05:57:23 am »

Great to see you back at the grind Rob.  Quite an interesting looking damsel.  "Interesting" is far more appealing than beautiful for me these days.  In fact, beautiful is a bot of a bore, really.  Innit?

Cheers,

Walter

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1282 on: October 02, 2012, 09:40:47 am »

Great to see you back at the grind Rob.  Quite an interesting looking damsel.  "Interesting" is far more appealing than beautiful for me these days.  In fact, beautiful is a bot of a bore, really.  Innit?

Cheers,

Walter

I agree there Walter. By the way, I really liked the first two pics in the cellphone thread Rob.

Rob C

« Reply #1283 on: October 02, 2012, 01:32:46 pm »

I agree there Walter. By the way, I really liked the first two pics in the cellphone thread Rob.

Thanks, guys, it would be perfect if a continuous supply of 'damsels' were available, but it's taken me over a decade to find this one here! And she's already departed to the mainland and whatever fresh adventures may await.

I'm also back in the middle of Internet/router/etc. problems, and I am hoping to change to a different contract. I was without connection most of the weekend at the times I wanted it, and the router has cost me a fortune in non-Telefonica assistance with it; worse, the thing won't work with the little UK-sourced notebook that I have, a thing which worked perfectly all right when I had the fixed, non-router setup, to which I shall return. The current failure was, I was told, because such machines don't work in Spain with their UK-compatible software, which is clearly rubbish, as it did for ages  before the router came here to destroy my calm. The problem is, Telefonica spends all its money on Formula 1 racing and forgets mugs like me.

Oh well, that's progress, as I always console myself by repeating mantra-like, for ten minutes or so until I forget why I'm repeating it, and cease.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1284 on: October 03, 2012, 12:11:04 pm »

Cheers,

Walter

Well, I was awaiting a replacement battery for my portable flash unit - a Metz 60 CT 1/2 - from England, and when I enquired about its  slow progress through the mails today, I was told I'm getting a refund: they won't allow it to pass at the airport X-Ray! Thank you, assorted terrorists, you've made my friggin' day.

Beautiful a bore? Can't say I quite agree with that - a rarity, would be closer to the truth...

;-)

Rob C

degrub

« Reply #1285 on: October 03, 2012, 10:16:38 pm »

Maybe this is an option ? i found it in an old thread here :
http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00440M

Bob Salomon , Nov 20, 2002; 02:55 p.m.

If you have the NiCd battery for the 60 series get the Gel Cell battery.

Or simply get rid of the memory effect by discharging the pack, under the proper load, and recharging it 3 or 4 times.

Frank Kimble , Nov 20, 2002; 07:50 p.m.

Get the "dryfit" battery, its a gel cell type battery. No memory, can be topped off jut before you need it. When you switch, there's a "tab" that must be switched inside the battery housing, takes couple seconds.

Jay . , Nov 21, 2002; 04:41 a.m.

Only get the dryfit if you use the flash regularly. That battery is "use it or lose it". One of the reasons I never bought a Metz 60-series, much as I liked it, was that there was no disposable-battery option for occasional use.

Scott Walton , Nov 21, 2002; 08:45 a.m.

Sorry to say but this is why I went with the 45 series and not the 60 when I started with Metz. Not to many choices with the 60.

Jack Chase , Nov 22, 2002; 01:28 p.m.

Short-term, follow Mr. Solomon's advice. Long-term, get the dry-fit. I have both a 60 and a 45. I use the 45 when I don't need the power of the 60, & when I don't want the inconvenience of the external pack, as well as taking it along as a back-up for the 60. (Though the 60 is so reliable, I've never needed to use the 45 in the back-up role.) The 60 with dry-fit is good for lots and lots of full-power flashes, and like the other poster said, you can top it off just before using it without worrying about memory effect. With the nicads in the 45, I have to remember to drain them all the way when I am done, then recharge them just before use to avoid having to deal with the memory effect.

Rob C

« Reply #1286 on: October 04, 2012, 03:59:00 am »

Hi, and thanks for your response about the Metz!

I bought it with the Dryfit as standard, and it's worked very well for many active years, both in Scotland and abroad where it frequently found itself - the trouble is really of my own making: I forgot all about it and the fact that you are supposed to keep the batteries charged up if not used over long periods of time; I think it says as much in the original instructions booklet.

I did try the recharging over and over again route - was advised to give that a whirl by the Metz agents in England - but it must be too far gone to recover. At least, I am assuming it's the battery that's died, because it takes forever for the little charging lights to indicate anything's happening other than that the power supply is getting through.

Put onto half-power, the number of flashes available was astronomical: far more than I ever needed on any single shoot! It's a grand unit and seems to have a pretty fast flash duration, too, making for crisper shots (people) than with my still working monoboc, which is also very old if unused in recent years.

Rob C

John R

« Reply #1287 on: October 04, 2012, 08:49:56 am »

Visited the Algonquin Park Art centre and saw some really inspiring art work. From the "Group of Seven" to our current crop crop fine artists. I have always marvelled at how much better painters can capture the wonderful nuances of what we see so much better than film or a digital sensor. Anyway, here a few more.

JMR

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1288 on: October 04, 2012, 09:38:00 am »

Lovely, John.
My favorite is the first.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #1289 on: October 04, 2012, 10:15:22 am »

Enjoyed all three.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1290 on: October 04, 2012, 04:04:04 pm »

John,

Your lens is a truly wonderful conduit through which the viewer and the subject make connection via your creative juices.

For me, you work is a validation for coming and nosing about.

WalterEG

« Reply #1291 on: October 04, 2012, 06:49:53 pm »

A header for an invitation.

Rob C

« Reply #1292 on: October 05, 2012, 03:28:24 am »

A very pleasing shape, and proof that with the right content those wide pictures can sometimes acually make for interesting rather than forced images.

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1293 on: October 05, 2012, 04:24:17 am »

Lovely stuff John..

Rob, I've eventually gotten Harry to join here. I must still goad the bugger to start reading as he has the same situation with the Metzes as you have and could maybe get them to work by following the advise.

Rob C

« Reply #1294 on: October 05, 2012, 09:56:45 am »

Lovely stuff John..

Rob, I've eventually gotten Harry to join here. I must still goad the bugger to start reading as he has the same situation with the Metzes as you have and could maybe get them to work by following the advise.

But Riann, I don't want to see his Metzes, I want to see his pix!

I've tracked down the Spanish importer of the batteries (Dryfit 60-38; Code: MZ6038) and tried to get my wholesaler on the line this morning, but there was no reply. I've known them since '81 and bought a lot from them, but what with the current crisis and the advent of digital, no film or chemicals sales, the story unfolds most bleakly. Hope I'm mistaken!

(I did mention that the suppliers in the UK couldn't get the battery through X-Ray security at the airport, and that the Post Office had to return it, causing a refund situation with the credit card company?)

Looking forward to Harry's posts 'n' pix.

Rob C

John R

« Reply #1295 on: October 08, 2012, 02:03:31 pm »

This first one has the beautiful gold light of a setting sun. Taken at Ragged Falls on the very path that most people walked over and ignored. I found it amusing, that when I started shooting with my camera pointed at the ground, others started to do the same.

JMR

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:22:11 pm by John R »

WalterEG

« Reply #1296 on: October 08, 2012, 06:02:19 pm »

Something a little different from you John, but equally adept.  Thanks for sharing.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1297 on: October 08, 2012, 11:29:10 pm »

You've got a great eye, John.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #1298 on: October 09, 2012, 11:41:15 am »

Rob C

« Reply #1299 on: October 11, 2012, 06:11:15 pm »

Came across this Kodachrome. Shot in Cyprus in May/June 1978; model was Beverley Pilkington; job was the 1979 Teacher's Whisky Calendar.

Nice work, when you could get it, and was a time I could.

Sweet days, indeed.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:28:54 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 75   Go Up