Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help with desisti HMI  (Read 2761 times)

michaelnotar

need help with desisti HMI
« on: October 30, 2010, 01:01:55 am »

just bought a 2.5k desisti leonardo fresnel HMI light and a lightmaker electronic ballast (combo 2.5/4k). its my first HMI but i have lots of experience with tungsten lighting, having 10 Mole lights.

was looking for advice on general use/safety precautions specific to using a HMI vs tungsten.

also after installing the bulb, connecting head to ballast, ballast to power, turning on ballast, i hit ignite , nothing happens, any ideas? there is a fuse on the ignite circuit but it checks out of with a continuity meter.

also there is 2 switches on the back of the head, any idea of what they do? they just have a ON (I) and off (O) labels on them.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: need help with desisti HMI
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 04:14:15 am »

Sorry I haven't used the Desisti HMI so can't help you with the details of switches etc.

With respect to the safety of HIMIs, the most important consideration when working with them is to never run the light without it's safety glass(lens). They emit high levels of UV that can give nasty skin burns.
Other than that the usual common sense rules apply, be careful as they run very hot, don't touch the bulbs, leave them running in rain rather than switching them on and off and be aware they need a period to cool down before you can restrike them after switching them off.

ggriswold

Re: need help with desisti HMI
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:18:09 am »

The Lighhtmaker ballasts can be prone to unexpected failure and/or popping fuses.  In California there is a service Company:

Galaxy Repair Service
Tel: 661.946.3373
Fax: 661.793.7393
E-mail: hmi@usa.com
E-card: go.to/hmi

My Lightmaker has been there twice.

First trip was due to a faulty feeder cable.  Second trip was because someone
unplugged the HMI when it was running and then plugged it right back in.

Reasonable, fairly fast.  You could call them and someone will walk you through the operation of the light.
There is an interlock on the light head that has a micro switch that tells the ballast that the front of the fixture is closed and safe to operate.  If that circuit is open the light will not strike.  Some HMIs will "hot restrike" and others will not.  Previous post is correct in that once on you are better off leaving it on... it is the on/ off that gets you. 

Hope this helps,
George
Pages: [1]   Go Up