Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GH2 First Look  (Read 8166 times)

John Camp

GH2 First Look
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:09:49 am »

I've been working with a Panasonic system since they first came out, first with a G1 (since passed on to my son) and currently a GH1 and a GF1. The 14 will be a perfect complement to the 20 and the 45 primes with the GF1; You can walk around all day with that system in your pockets. As an all-around shooter, I think the GH1 is terrific -- I love the twistable LCD - and will upgrade to the GH2 as soon as it comes out (and my son gets another gift.) As somebody who grew up with ASA 400 film, a clean 1600 seems almost miraculous, and with an effective 16mp sensor, I really don't think I need much more -- I'm getting to the point where I may not buy much more equipment. (Yeah, right; pass the joint.)

I used to travel a lot internationally with a Nikon system, and it was always a terrific pain in the ass. I just don't feel like being a burro anymore. I not long ago got a green nylon Pelican case which can taken an entire Panasonic system (2 bodies, five lenses, chargers, accessory viewfinder for the GF1) with space for a laptop (the Mac Air fits just fine) plus personal papers, extra glasses, etc. -- and it is, to all intents and purposes a *briefcase.* And not a huge briefcase. With the Nikon system, I needed a roller case, and sometimes had to check it on regional airlines. I really don't use the Nikon much anymore. For my uses, I'm better off with the low weight than any extended functionality.

Your review of the GH2 is much appreciated; I'm gonna get one.

JC     

kwalsh

Re: GH2 First Look
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:34:13 am »

Yes, thanks for the review, Michael! 

I'm particularly interested in how the sensor performs as far as DR goes compared to the G1/GF1 sensor.  Based on your impression of the noise performance compared to the GH1 it sounds like it is probably a winner in that department.  Hopefully DXOMark will get some measurements when the production cameras become available.

One small quibble, the review states a 16MP imager compared to a 12MP imager is "one stop".  Actually, it would take a 24MP to be "one stop" as this is a pixel density measurement.  If we were comparing the linear pixel dimensions then the factor for "one stop" would be 1.4 like for numerical aperture.  But in the case of the total number of pixels it is a factor of 2, just like the it is for the area of an aperture.  As it is the 16MP vs 12MP difference is a little under "half a stop" (or to be more accurate 0.41 stops).  I know, stupid pedantic quibble, but I figured I'd share anyway.

Again, thanks for posting the review.  I've been anxiously awaiting it since we were "teased" a few days ago :).  Always very much enjoy the pragmatic reviews written here.

Ken

grantyale

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:37:21 am »

Played with a GH1 a while ago and liked the handling.  The only reason I'm not getting an M4/3 yet is lack of lenses.  Still waiting for at least two lenses to appear (in 35mm equivalent): 50/2 and 24-120/whatever aperture.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 05:38:26 am »

Interesting article. I would say ergonomics are a very personal thing though and having tried the G range before I can see some weaker points and agree with some of the pro points. To me the increasing LCD size has cramped controls on some bodies too much. And the G models don't have a lot of space on the right hand side. I'm not crazy about the strap lugs as they can dig into your hand too..and I think the left hand dial could be put to better use (like an ISO selection)

Have to give credit to Panasonic as they've come from nowhere years past and are now taken seriously..at least by some. A few things that I don't approve of (restricting battery choices is a def no no) Still not convinced models such as this will have mainstream appeal v more traditional DSLR's (at the GH2's price you can get something rather good DSLR wise)

No question micro 4/3's is the place for the sensor format. Problem is it's fairly obvious that APS-C dominates the industry for many users. I take Panasonic seriously of course. Not sure I believe the future belongs to Panasonic and Sony..def not that later company anyway. Time will tell anyway.
To me models such as this will appeal to serious video users more than to those who only have a passing video interest and look mostly for a stills camera.

billh

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 07:47:18 am »

Thanks very much for the review Michael. I agree with the industry executive that this is the future in the industry. If I am going to take either video or stills, I take the EX1R (plus heavy tripod and fluid head) or the Nikon D3s with large, heavy lenses - but there are so many times when I want both, or I am not sure which will be more appropriate, or simply do not want to lug all that bulk and weight with me.

How does the video quality compare between the hacked GH1 and the GH2? Do you have any video samples you can post? And....Do you plan to try the AF100 and share your take on it with us?

Thanks,

Bill

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:07:50 am »

Thanks Michael, well done as usual. I cannot wait to get mine! And Fred, I DO own a 5D Mark II.
Bob
 ht

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 01:24:45 pm »

Still not convinced models such as this will have mainstream appeal v more traditional DSLR's (at the GH2's price you can get something rather good DSLR wise)

MFT cameras are selling like crazy in Japan, UK and rest of Europe. Not sure if the sales are coming from DSLR owners or P&S shooters, though.

I'm in the same camp as John (couldn't resist): I've always shot SLRs (analog and digital), but after being so impressed by the size, weight and IQ of Olympus E-PL1 am seriously considering selling my DSLR kit. I do mostly travel photography, and the diminutive size and weight of a full MFT kit is non-issue when packing. And my E-PL1 produces photos which have arguably higher IQ than my first DSLR (30D).

Lens selection lacks an UWA prime and a fast portrait prime. Portrait lenses can be had with an adapter (I just acquired a Hexanon 57mm f/1.4), but an UWA around 7mm is something I'd really like to see in the near future.

John Camp

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 01:37:42 pm »

Why was the GH2 compared with the NEX-5? I would have thought a comparison with the Sony A55 would have been more appropriate.

Interesting question, for which I'm sure Michael has his own answer.

From my point of view, there is really only one reason to use the Panasonic/NEX style cameras, and that is the combination of larger sensor with small, light-weight bodies. If somebody were to put a gun at my head and tell me I had to choose one system to use for the rest of my life, I'd probably go with a FF Nikon (Nikon because it's my preference, but it could be a FF Canon, etc.) for ultimate image-quality and durability reasons. But since there is no gun, I can have all of it: a Nikon system for heavy work, a light-weight/larger sensor camera for travel and daily carry-around in the car, and a small-sensor camera for the pocket.

BUT -- here's my answer to your question -- size is THE critical element in selecting one of these systems. If size isn't important to you, go with a heavier system for the image quality. The GH2 is about as large as I'd want a body in this middle system to get, and the A55 is just a bit larger and heavier, with distinctly larger and heavier lenses. The GH2, on the other hand, has a much smaller companion body, the GF1, that uses the same (smaller) lenses. That keeps the whole *system* much more compact. With the GF1, you can carry the body with one lens in a jacket pocket, and, with the addition of the 14mm pancake, two other lenses (with the 45) in another jacket pocket...and still go to the more flexible, but still small GH2 if you need that. All of this also pertains to the NEX -- the NEX body is smaller than the GH2, but the lenses are notably bigger all the way down the line, leaving the two systems somewhat comparable.

EasyEd

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 08:23:25 pm »

Hey All,

Nice review I look forward to more.

I too would like to hear Michael's thoughts on GH2 vs A55. I have had an A33 and a G1 side by side in a store and they are for all practical intents and purposes the same size - the A33 being just a bit chubbier - but outside dimension wise the same size. Ergonomically the G1 was better but a person could get used to the A33. I believe the A55 is identical in size and layout to the A33.

My question to Michael is - if you were going to use one or the other - A55 or GH2 - mostly for stills photography (landscape of course  :)) with some video and given the lenses available and likely (your best guess) future development of the two systems  - which would you buy?

Thanks in advance!

-Ed-

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 10:11:44 pm »

I have handled the first Panasonic mirrorless 4/3 camera and I was impressed by its size. However, I'm waiting for a mirrorless APS sensor camera that is pocketable and doesn't have shutter lag. So far no one manufacturer has managed to manufacture this holy grail enabling 'the decisive moment' to be captured. When this happens I will be happy to be a convert.

hoodlum

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 10:18:24 pm »

I had the chance to play around with the A55 and GH2 at a recent show.  I found the weight and size to be similar, but I found the grip on the GH2 to be 1/2" taller than the grip on the A55.  This made the handling of the GH2 easier than the A55.  Also, due to the lens mount protuding further on the A55 due the A-mount, the lenses stuck out much further on the A55 (A55 lens weighed heavier too).

michael

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 06:51:01 am »

While the GH2 and the A55 are both mirrorless cameras and similar in size, the GH2 is in a different class because it uses a new lens mount designed for mirrorless, rather than the A55's traditional full-frame Sony A mount. This means that the lenses on the GH2 are MUCH smaller for any given focal length equivalent.

That's the reason for comparing with the NEX 5... because it too uses a new lens mount specially designed for the shorter back focus of mirrorless.

Michael

Hey All,

Nice review I look forward to more.

I too would like to hear Michael's thoughts on GH2 vs A55. I have had an A33 and a G1 side by side in a store and they are for all practical intents and purposes the same size - the A33 being just a bit chubbier - but outside dimension wise the same size. Ergonomically the G1 was better but a person could get used to the A33. I believe the A55 is identical in size and layout to the A33.

My question to Michael is - if you were going to use one or the other - A55 or GH2 - mostly for stills photography (landscape of course  :)) with some video and given the lenses available and likely (your best guess) future development of the two systems  - which would you buy?

Thanks in advance!

-Ed-

stever

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 09:42:39 am »

Michael's comment on taking the GH2 on Safari has an implication that Panasonic has brought contrast-detection to the point of really useable follow focus.  i hope this is true as the consequences for all compact cameras are enormous (and maybe for SLRs as well - making video really useful for those of us not able to manually pull focus). 

allenmacaulay

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 07:27:15 pm »

However, I'm waiting for a mirrorless APS sensor camera that is pocketable and doesn't have shutter lag. So far no one manufacturer has managed to manufacture this holy grail enabling 'the decisive moment' to be captured. When this happens I will be happy to be a convert.

That's what I'm looking for as well, preferably with a built-in optical viewfinder.  The closest I've seen to date is the Samsung NX100, I handled one briefly but didn't pay much attention to the shutter lag (can't remember if it had any or how much) since that's not a big priority for me.

Mike L.

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 12:22:02 am »

In his look at the GH2, I noticed Mr. Reichmann's complaint about the lack of printed user's manuals for most cameras.  I really don't know why camera manufacturers don't put at least a concise copy of the manual onto a bit (no pun intended) of internal camera memory.  With today's high resolution LCD screens (and ability to zoom in on the image), an in-camera manual is eminently readable.  For my Samsung TL500/EX1, I've loaded the pertinent parts of the manual into the camera's memory, and it's very handy to be able to refer to it in the field, right on the camera's LCD screen, for those occasional times when I don't remember how to access some seldom-used function.  I've posted a brief article about it here >>>  http://home.earthlink.net/~mikelevyonline/On-Camera_Users_Manual.html .

Mike

Rostislav Alexandrovich

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 11:30:24 am »

Hi Michael, thanx for your review!

How will the GH2 compete against A55? (lenses size aside)

While the GH2 and the A55 are both mirrorless cameras and similar in size, the GH2 is in a different class because it uses a new lens mount designed for mirrorless, rather than the A55's traditional full-frame Sony A mount. This means that the lenses on the GH2 are MUCH smaller for any given focal length equivalent.

That's the reason for comparing with the NEX 5... because it too uses a new lens mount specially designed for the shorter back focus of mirrorless.

Michael

edgy

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 11:39:01 am »

Thanks for the preview.  It sounds like a great camera.

I have a question about the autofocus.  I have a GF1 and my main problem is not the focus speed (though I'm happy to hear that the GH2 is faster), but a particular kind of inaccuracy.  Let me see if I can explain this clearly:

When spot-focusing on a subject that is relatively small in the viewfinder (a bird at some distance, for example) the camera often reports that is has focus when it clearly does not--in fact it has focused on some area of the background, even though the focus box is all within the subject I'm trying to focus on.  It appears to me that the focus area is larger than the box on screen, and/or the CDAF algorithm is doing something very strange.

I hope that makes sense.  My question:  have you also noticed this behavior on the previous Panasonic m4/3 cameras, and if so, is the GH2 any better in those situations?

If Panasonic has licked that problem, I'll be very happy indeed.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 01:57:31 pm »

There is one simple reason why µ4/3 in the moment would not be for me:
One of the big advantages, the short distance between lens and sensor together with the crop factor
which allows small fast lenses is not yet fully utilized. There are two moderately fast pancakes, but I miss something like a
40 mm (80 mm at FF) F1.4 and an 18 mm (35 mm at FF) F1.4, or even faster which would allow for some compensation of the huge DOF
of that format. I still do not understand why there are no more FF Rangefinders à la M9.

jdkreuzberg

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 08:36:59 am »

I just ordered my GH2 (with the 14-140 mm lens plus the 20 mm pancake) this morning. I graduated from my Sony/Minolta- SLR-system (which I still keep) to a Canon Powershot G11 which I always have in my pocket. This is a great little photographers' tool but like all compact sensors has its shortcomings when it comes to available light shooting. MFT-cameras with a great weight-size-ratio have appearently almost caught up to the APS-C-league. So I am really looking forward to my Lumix as a new always-carry-around package. On top I will still adhere to the full format world and hope that Sony will not betray the Minolta legacy.

So long
jd kreuzberg
Pages: [1]   Go Up