Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conversion from >cr2 to edit.tif  (Read 1642 times)

thewanderer

Conversion from >cr2 to edit.tif
« on: October 29, 2010, 09:57:17 pm »

When I download/import from photomechanic to LR 3,  the thumbs show the photograph.  its a .cr2 file (canon)  i hightlight and hit ctrl E, and it sends to PS, but it first creates an Edit.tiff file.   Now, my question is, does that edit.tif files use space on my harddrive, and if i delete it, will it affect the cr2 file?  Is it just a converted copy of the Raw and as long as i dont delete the .cr2 file, I will be ok, Right? and clean up my hardrive a bit. 

frugal

• http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/
Re: Conversion from >cr2 to edit.tif
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:56:09 pm »

If you're getting an edit.tiff file as soon as you go to edit in Photoshop then that sounds like you're using an older version of Photoshop (such as CS4) that doesn't have the newer ACR engine. Not really an issue, Lightroom generates the tiff (or PSD, you can set this in your preferences) on the fly but this does slow things down (if you have CS5 then it will send the RAW file to PS and open it with the LR edits applied, which is faster).

To answer your questions, yes this file is taking up space on your hard drive. And no, you can't delete it to free up space, at least not if you want to keep any edits that you performed in PS.

Generally speaking, it's best to do as many of the edits as you can in LR as these will be non-destructive. Then save Photoshop for only those changes that you can't do in LR and try to keep these until the end (you really don't want to end up editing in LR, sending that to PS, doing further edits on that edited file in LR then sending back to PS, etc).

thewanderer

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:05:05 pm »

thanks for the input, I am using PS 2, sad to say, but it seems so simple and my adjustments are usually minor, so I ever rely saw the need to get anything higher.  but did go to LR..I will keep your information in mind in the future working

jpegman

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:46:30 pm »

If your tweaks are minor, have you considered going to Photoshop Elements 9 which supports ACR v6 (and LR 3.x)? 

Currently (starting 11/11/2011) , Costco has a coupon for $30 off starting next week ($50), and is at least 6 years newer than CS2. 

As a side note- Adobe only allows updates of Photoshop going back 3 versions, so if you decide to stay with the full Photoshop, this is your last chance to get an upgrade price - when CS6 ships (probably at the end of 2011), if you want CS6, you will be forced to pay full price as CS2 will not allow for an update price.

------------
Here's another thought on Supercharging Photoshop Elements for an extra $12, if you go that route.

Andrei Doubrovski (who publishes the As Simple as Photoshop series (ASAP)) also has a new Photoshop Elements tool to unleash paths, soft proofing, etc. Apparently, Adobe has developed Elements using the full Photoshop core, and if you know how, you can unlock some major features that would otherwise be off limits to Elements users. Sounds like a good deal to Elements users who don't want (need) to spend the money on the full Photoshop, but, can come pretty close for an additional $12.
----------------------
ITEM: Andrei Doubrovski (http://elementsplus.net) has released his $12 *Elements+* 3.0 [M] to unlock undocumented advanced functions in the program through dedicated dialog boxes. Features include paths, Smart Filters, channel mixer, soft proofing, layer groups, Smart Object functions and  more.
-----------------------
Check out the hot link above for a list of all the features that can be "unlocked" from Elements versions 1 - 9.

As expected, unlocking is very version specific, with the most features to unlock in the latest Elements version (v9).

Good for people who want a great processing program cheap, with a lot of advanced Photoshop features they can work their way into using Photoshop Elements.

Jpegman

Pages: [1]   Go Up