Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Hot Press sheet paper: which side?  (Read 9772 times)

LeiMeng

Epson Hot Press sheet paper: which side?
« on: October 28, 2010, 04:15:22 pm »

Ordered some letter-size Epson Hot Press sheet paper (both bright and natural type) to try. I could not tell which side is the printable side. The two sides looked identical to me (for both bright and natural).  Is it double-sided?

(I can try printing on both sides the same image and see if there's difference, but I'd like to ask at here too).

EBBS

• http://www.mattebbers.com
Re: Epson Hot Press sheet paper: which side?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:43:37 pm »

There should have been a sheet that said "print this side".  Otherwise lick your finger and grab a corner.  The printable side will grab or stick slightly.
Every day is a good day, just some are b

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:43:54 pm »

There should be a very subtle difference in the surface. You can often gently drag your fingernail over the surface at the edges. The coated print side will have a slight bit more drag than the backside. It's subtle though. You can also try the lick test...the coated side sucks liquid more than the backside. Once you determine the correct side, the rest of the paper will have the same order.

LeiMeng

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 04:58:48 pm »

Thanks for the replies!  I did notice the "print this side" sheet but I forgot which side it was after I took out a sheet.  ??? I will try the lick test  :)

Dano Steinhardt

• Dan Steinhardt Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:37:53 am »

Dano from Epson America here:

Per earlier posts, with Hot Press and Cold Press papers the "Printable Side" is the preferred side on which to print.

While we do not market these papers as double-sided, surprisingly good results can be obtained printing on the other side.

This is due to how these particular papers are manufactured.  Its not the case with other papers.

There is a slight difference in the coating on both sides, thus the labeling and recommendation to use the Printable Side for the highest quality.

LeiMeng

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:40:57 pm »

thanks for your information, Dano. This weekend I tried printing on both side and indeed the difference is so minimum. The only difference I could notice with my eyes is that the "printable side" has slightly more shadow detail.  But this difference is so slight; slight enough that the paper, effectively, can be treated as double-sided for most of my work.

Dano from Epson America here:

Per earlier posts, with Hot Press and Cold Press papers the "Printable Side" is the preferred side on which to print.

While we do not market these papers as double-sided, surprisingly good results can be obtained printing on the other side.

This is due to how these particular papers are manufactured.  Its not the case with other papers.

There is a slight difference in the coating on both sides, thus the labeling and recommendation to use the Printable Side for the highest quality.

Dano Steinhardt

• Dan Steinhardt Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 01:57:36 pm »

For critical work in an optimized workflow, a discerning eye will see the difference thus the continued recommendation to print on the preferred printable side.

But if in a jam, the other side is remarkably good.

Because both sides are coated, the traditional "lick" test (on these particular papers) to identify the preferred printable side may not work.

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Epson America, Inc.

wayne hiebert

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 11:38:46 am »

Dano .... I was having the same debate with myself as to which was the "printable" side on Epson Hot Press Natural.  I seem to notice a slightly more textured surface on the printable side (as indicated by the sticker on the plastic bag the paper is in).  Is this in fact the case?  There was a slight mark on the printable side of a sheet so rather then throw it out I turned it over and printed on the back (smoother side) and it seemed to turn out quite well.

IWC Doppel

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 01:49:53 am »

I use Cold press Natural and the 'rougher side' is the right side. I always check if I'm stuck with the lick test.

Fortunately or unfortunately Cold Press Natural prints very well using the wrong side !

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 03:18:08 am »

The Epson information is a bit ambiguous on the coatings. I have seen the sheets described as dual side coated but in Dano's comment it looks like the coatings are not equal.

For the natural versions Sihl and Papergraphics have very similar papers that are single side coated in the manufacturers' description and the weight difference to the Epson papers suggest that is the case.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Stephen G

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 07:41:29 am »

Is the roll version of these papers also coated on both sides? Lick test says probably not...

aduke

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 11:08:04 am »

Is the roll version of these papers also coated on both sides? Lick test says probably not...

No. The other side is, apparently, plain paper.javascript:void(0);

Alan

John Caldwell

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 08:43:43 pm »

Cold Press Natural is our greeting card media - that is, printable on both sides. The rougher side, face up in the box or on a roll - is the "right" side but both sides take ink equally well to my eye.

John Caldwell

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 06:15:34 pm »

I use Hot Press Natural sheets for almost all of my color work.  Sometimes, I will print on the back side of an old print just for proofing.  If there is a difference, it is very slight.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up