Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Successfully moved a 44" Z3100 across the country  (Read 1592 times)

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Successfully moved a 44" Z3100 across the country
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:24:59 pm »

Just thought I would share this positive story. I had to move at the end of September from northern Arizona to Indianapolis, IN, a trip I was dreading for a number of reasons, but mostly because I was afraid of trashing my wonderful 44" Z3100. Well, the move was successful and even though my boot drive on my main computer failed, the driver reloads on the new drive worked flawlessly the first time I turned on my Z after 3 weeks of inactivity, a trip across the country, moving it upstairs in the new house and getting the stand re-mounted.

Here's all I did:

1) Followed HP's suggestion of leaving heads and ink carts in place and taped the rear paper door in place.
2) Propped the printer by its ends on full book boxes that were a little taller than the print stand then removed the stand, disassembled it and packed all the parts well.
3) Since we moved ourselves using a 26' U-Haul truck (and a separate trailer) the 44" printer fit perfectly in the "Mom's Attic" area of the truck which is the part that extends out over the truck cab. We used our couch cushions under the brinter and around the back and sides, shoved it all the way forward and then put book boxes in behind it to hold it in place. It was a bit of a pain to get it down from there at this end of the move, but it stayed put. I didn't wrap or crate the printer.
4) At this end, after the movers managed to get the printer up the stairs (without tilting it more than 10 or 15 degrees) and around some serious corners into the room it lives in, I propped it up on some book boxes again, assembled and attached the stand. The printer was lowered off the boxes and rolled into place. The movers were sweating and straining all the way up the stairs and through the three sharp turns into the room and got a nice big tip from me for their outstanding effort.
5) I turned on the printer without being connected to the computer just to see if it would boot up. It did and what a great feeling that was.
6) After dealing with the replacement of the C: drive (Yes, I had a ghost, but it failed as well) and loading up the latest driver and printer utility, I connected the printer, ran a calibration on some HM Photo Rag and made a print. Everything worked flawessly.

I just thought I would pass this along to anyone contemplating moving their Z printer. I really dreaded it, but the printer is more robust than I had anticipated. Now my computer on the other hand...
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

deanwork

Re: Successfully moved a 44" Z3100 across the country
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:30:58 pm »

Yes, I moved mine across town and left my inks in. It was very easy to move and one of those cases where you were thrilled it didn't take 4 big men to move, only myself and my smallish girlfriend.  It is quite light for such capability of a 44" machine. I was printing again in 10 minutes of unpacking without as much as a nozzle check being needed.

john

LeiMeng

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:37:06 pm »

thanks for sharing this!  I have been planning to move my Epson 9900 across the city.  Your story gives me confidence.

My plan is to replace ink cartridges by empty ones, not draining the whole ink line.  However the printer has to be turned 90 degrees to an upright position in order to pass a narrow corner.  Does anyone know if this is too risky?

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:45:22 pm »

I know HP says if one does this with the Z, ink will get all over everything making a mess and possibly ruining the printer. You may want to google "moving the Epson 9900" and see what you find.

thanks for sharing this!  I have been planning to move my Epson 9900 across the city.  Your story gives me confidence.

My plan is to replace ink cartridges by empty ones, not draining the whole ink line.  However the printer has to be turned 90 degrees to an upright position in order to pass a narrow corner.  Does anyone know if this is too risky?
Jim Cole

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:35:48 pm »

I live in SoCal, and when I sold my 7600 on CraigsList a couple of guys came to complete the purchase.  They loaded it into the back of a pickup truck.  Their ultimate destination...Mexico City!!!  Never heard a thing from them, so I assume they made it!

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 07:52:53 pm »

Welcome to Indiana ! Just in time for Winter :)  Indy is a nice town.
Craig Lamson Photo

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 08:28:11 pm »

Thanks Craig. This is my wife's home town and we're here to help out her aging parents. I'm looking forward to photographing the area.

Welcome to Indiana ! Just in time for Winter :)  Indy is a nice town.
Jim Cole

andyadler

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 10:34:22 pm »

Three weeks ago I drove a smaller (16-foot) U-Haul truck and car-trailer when I moved from Louisville to New Orleans. My Epson 4000 also perched on "Mom's Attic," though it's now in storage as I prepare to take delivery (tomorrow, 10/29) of a 3880 from B&H. That section of the truck really did make a perfect spot for the printer, and various pieces of electronic gear.

Enjoy Indianapolis...A.
Pages: [1]   Go Up