Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passage  (Read 3056 times)

Patricia Sheley

Passage
« on: October 27, 2010, 11:35:31 am »

a moment in tidal alternation...

A common woman~

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Passage
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 01:00:56 pm »

I like the dark, moody tonality and the warm tint.

Nitpicking: not so sure about the figure's central placing… nor the pose itself… tops of the foreground boats merge with the horizon… the same goes for the sailing ship in the distance… a slight change in camera height would have resulted in a clearer separation.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 01:56:48 pm »

Absolutely correct Slobodan...and I did not see it...so obvious now . I should have been on my stomach with that wide and the passage from fore to mid to horizon would have been so much more an invitation for the viewer in this moment. I took a quick look at the other shots as I tried to include changing tether for the rapidly filling tide, and while I have two nice shots with crew in a lovely serpentine focal end, disappointingly I never saw the the missed opportunity of cracking the horizon with the dories, or conversely raising up in the triangulation to bring the ketch down...

I full appreciate such nits for the voice it puts inside my head for not only future shooting but current editing...I will being making the concerted effort to address these in my thinking/sensing process...I very much appreciate your notes on this.  P.
A common woman~

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:31:37 pm »

I like the dark, moody tonality and the warm tint.

Nitpicking: not so sure about the figure's central placing… nor the pose itself… tops of the foreground boats merge with the horizon… the same goes for the sailing ship in the distance… a slight change in camera height would have resulted in a clearer separation.
Such nitpicking is precisely what I hope for when I post shots here: I gain from it. Do more.

Jeremy

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 05:37:28 pm »

Such nitpicking is precisely what I hope for when I post shots here: I gain from it. Do more.

I agree, because it gave me a different perspective from which to view this image.  Personally I was caught up in the emotion of it as I saw a woman standing on the shore, eager in her anticipation to go out on the water - and it left me wondering whether or not her dream would be realized.  It put me in mind of how sometimes a child can be so excited in anticipation that they're literally trembling.  The pose could be better, but was the image staged, or was it candid?  That one I don't know.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 06:27:14 pm »

Hi Mike...We anchored here for only 2 hours...there was a break in the series of storms that had been with us or opposing us the entire time out. The outer bands of a northeaster were just beginning to fill on the horizon so the captain elected to sieze the opportunity to anchor off this long shallow shoal...I had carried my tripoded camera to the other side to see what I could see and on returning over the crest the rapidly filling high tide had the crew moving tender lines every 5 minutes. I set up at water level and continually found the water over my deck boots... I was watching that sky and the juxtposition of mother ship and tenders in the changing light...then I started seeing the crew working back and forth and pushed the ISO up in hopes of placing them in the equation with very little light remaining...in 29 minutes I shot 8-10 images but this , in the moment looked like momentary awe on the glass...not staged, just grabbed a split second later than I'd have liked...I'll post a few thumbs so that you can see what I mean... the sad thing is that even as I moved in the rising tide, I did not raise (or lower and lie on my stomach in the water) the tripod for a more delineating position/composition, as Slobodan noted...this crew has become so used to my middle of the night and twilights antics that they do not even see me anymore..and I would  NEVER distract or interrupt them from their appointed duties...we slept in driving rain that night and sailed northeasters the next two days...I would give almost anything to be back in that moment...and as to that child...it is almost exactly the excitement I felt as I saw and snapped that moment, though late...Pat  The North Sea produced one of the most remarkable sail configurations when it produced the gaff rigged ketch...it can handle almost anything with infinite sail configuring possible...perfectly suited to the Northeasterncoast of North America

and a
A common woman~

John R

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 07:34:56 pm »

Not so sure about that nitpicking on this particular image. And don't get me wrong, critique has its place, but for this shot and for me, those nitpics just don't arise and are not obvious.  I think, whatever faults this image may have, they are subsumed, almost unnoticeable, by it's great emotional impact. We all strive for shots that are more than pretty and have some kind of impact, especially emotive or psychological impact. Mike himself said that he was immediately taken by the feeling of what he perceived the woman was trying to do. At first sight, I was immediately intrigued and drawn in. But unlike Mike, I could not cystalize what I was feeling. When I sometimes feel that I have great shot, it is almost always connected to some kind of emotional feeling. This a great image IMO.

JMR

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:11:04 pm »

… for this shot and for me, those nitpics just don't arise and are not obvious...

Ahmm… that's why they are called nitpicks ;)

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 10:09:58 pm »

So here are a few thumbs from that tidal interlude...as you can see the two crew were working back and forth to keep our access (egress) possible and as I was shooting with a wireless remote at ISO 100 with a 2 second lag I just did not think quickly enough to change a few settings and let the one get away that just blew me away in the moment...and can draw it, I can here the audible gasp at the moment and the sickening realization that the 2 second lag got the better of me...but I can still breathe in deeply and feel it at this moment as I send you this note... thankyou for your impressions...I hope you know how  I value them...Pat

..and as I'm sure you will see as I have posted the color unprocessed thumbs, I pour a lot of my ancient history into my conversions...one of true joys of being an ancient common woman....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:13:41 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 11:07:32 pm »

I'll echo what John R said: It's a great image, very expressive. And I can see from the thumbnails that it was a magical time to be trying to capture images rather than thinking about what's the best approach. Sometimes you just gotta shoot and trust your instincts.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 01:29:17 pm »

This a great image IMO.

JMR
John, I agree. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been made even better.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up