Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Persistence, autumn winds and multiple exposures  (Read 1964 times)

John R

Persistence, autumn winds and multiple exposures
« on: October 26, 2010, 05:53:38 pm »

Years ago I saw an image which looked like a painting (now more commonplace) and the photographer said that he took it on one frame at a slow shutter speed while the wind was blowing. I tried in vain to produce similar results, but always ended up with poor to mediocre images. I could never produce what I really wanted in the camera with any consistent results. Finally, with the onset of multiple exposure capability and the camera doing all the proper exposure calculations, I was able to produce more images with more consistent results. Yesterday, at High Park in Toronto, everything came together, autumn, gusting winds, colour and good light, and this is the result. The irony is, that this not a maple tree, but a Japanese Cherry from that now famous cherry lane hill at High Park where, justifiably hundreds come in Spring to see the breathtaking blossoms.

JMR

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Persistence, autumn winds and multiple exposures
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:47:26 pm »

That's a really beautiful image. Coming from me, this means a lot - I have always been indisposed to efforts to use photography to create painting-like images. But, you have really nailed it!

LoisWakeman

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:56:23 am »

I like it! I have tried similar effects, but manually sandwiching several longish tripod exposures (in this case, of barley). I have not tried it in camera  - and am not even sure my modest kit would allow it anyway. But lightening each frame and using soft light to combine layers, then playing with transparency, seems to work well enough for me. Multiply is another option.

(Yep, that piece of horizontal grass in the top left middle has to go. Other have suggested that a scarecrow would improve it ;) )

Glenn NK

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:44:28 pm »

John:

I think you really have it.

Persistence isn't supposed to be creative, but in this instance it is.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

John R

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:16:44 pm »

Well, thanks, Peter, Lois and Glen.

Let's face it Peter, if it wasn't any good, I would not have posted it. It takes a while to get an idea of how mulitiple image shots will look, especially when the subject is moving or the camera itself. And the results are not always predictable, even with experience.

Lois, I don't think you need my advice on such images. You have many lovely images yourself. But, I will pass on that you try a range of 1-2 seconds per shot, as this seems to produce a good combination of motion blur and recognizable subject-matter.

Glen, I have many similarly fine images, but this is the first time I was able to produce in-camera without a sandwich, results that good, and/or acceptable on more regular basis.

Thanks all for the comments.

Ifocus4u

• Constant Sound and Imaging Studio
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:15:41 pm »

Well John.. it was finally well worth the effort!  I love the soft pastel nature of the leaves and overall shot.  Very, very nice indeed!!  Freeman Patterson would be proud!

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 06:08:25 pm »

Very nice picture, and an inspirational technique too; thanks.

John R

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:04:55 pm »

Very nice picture, and an inspirational technique too; thanks.

Well John.. it was finally well worth the effort!  I love the soft pastel nature of the leaves and overall shot.  Very, very nice indeed!!  Freeman Patterson would be proud!

Thanks you Ed and Ifocus. I confess that I have been following Freeman Patterson for many years. And, among other, he has inspired me. It's not so much the techniques, but finding ways to express yourself that matters.

I am adding two more which were also produced using camera motion. Of course one has to hone their skills and practice, practice, practice.

JMR

Pages: [1]   Go Up