Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Slate 500  (Read 2166 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
HP Slate 500
« on: October 26, 2010, 02:30:59 pm »

I don't know if this has been posted before, I couldn't find it....it runs Win7 by the way

" The Slate 500 has an SD card slot, both a front-facing VGA camera and a rear-facing 3MP camera, a USB port, and a docking connector. The included dock has an HDMI output, two more USB ports, and a second headphone/mic jack. Internally, there's a 1.86GHz Intel Atom Z540 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 64GB SSD hard drive, and a Broadcom Crystal HD chip for HD video playback (via the 8.9-inch 1,024x600-pixel display)."

It's definitely not an straight competitor to the Ipad, more of a Slate or Pad version of a Netbook.  The HD size is disappointing, but with an external 2.5" HD it could easily become my portable trip PC to replace my aging 12" Lenovo and has the advantage that I can install Lightroom (if the screen size is not a limiter) and my thumbnail and slideshow app.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20020363-1.html

JonathanBenoit

Re: HP Slate 500
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:40:23 am »

looks promising. The 64 GB SSD drive should be more than enough for on location use. I'm assuming it isn't going to be your main computer and you will end up transferring files to be edited to your main machine. 2GB of ram is a little slow for my editing needs.
I just bought an SSD drive for my macbook and they are everything they claim to be. huge increase with read/write operations.

Matthew Wilks

• Crystal City Photography
Re: HP Slate 500
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:53:00 am »

The HP Slate 500 looks intriguing, but with a relatively slow single core processor I think it will be painfully slow for any sort of photo work.  I will look forward to future iterations that utilize a faster processor.
Matthew
Pages: [1]   Go Up