Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson GS6000 Error Code  (Read 4991 times)

na goodman

Epson GS6000 Error Code
« on: October 25, 2010, 06:48:51 pm »

I was wondering if anyone hear knows what error code 3000 is for an Epson GS6000. It went away after restarting the printer but I am still wondering what it was referring to. I know it is an eco solvent printer and I should probably ask at the wide format group but I thought I would check here first.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Epson GS6000 Error Code
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:18:47 pm »

Nancy,
Did you just get a new GS6000? Do you have an existing market for it's output,or is this a new area for you.

My apologies in advance,no intent to hijack the thread.

na goodman

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »

No, I did not get a new GS6000. I have a client that I maintain their mac stations and make new environments for them thru the Colorburst Rip that comes with that machine. I do all of their fine art printing on an Epson 9800 and they do all their vehicle wraps and other outdoor exhibition stuff on the GS. The GS is run on a windows machine with Colorburst. Probably more information than you wanted to know. Now, go find me what that error code means.

dgberg

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 07:52:43 pm »

Ask and ye shall receive.
Page 103 of the GS 6000 manual.
The power cord is not plugged in properly. It says to power down the printer for 30 seconds and reset your plug. If you still get the warning it says to contact Epson.

na goodman

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:57:22 pm »

Thank you, thank you - I owe you one.

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:18:46 pm »

Specifically, it's an AC power failure.  If checking the plug doesn't resolve it then it may be a fault with the power supply board or the main board.

Also, try to ensure that the printer doesn't have all three AC leads plugged into a single power board.  It's better if each has its own socket (unless you have a suitably rated powerboard, but given the full draw of the GS6000 with the heaters running and the take up reel running, it's unlikely).

Finally, bear in mind it has a peak power draw of 680W, so if you continue to have issues you may want to check the electrical supply (ie have an electrician check).

Dan - do you have a GS or are you wondering about their application in photography?
Phil Brown

dgberg

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:06:26 am »

Phil,
Do not have one. But would love to have one if it were not for its pricepoint. (Down from 25k to about 20k now)
With my large shop and big overhead bay door the vehicle wrap business has intrigued me of late.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:22:17 am by Dan Berg »

na goodman

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 06:17:19 am »

Specifically, it's an AC power failure.  If checking the plug doesn't resolve it then it may be a fault with the power supply board or the main board.

Also, try to ensure that the printer doesn't have all three AC leads plugged into a single power board.  It's better if each has its own socket (unless you have a suitably rated powerboard, but given the full draw of the GS6000 with the heaters running and the take up reel running, it's unlikely).

Finally, bear in mind it has a peak power draw of 680W, so if you continue to have issues you may want to check the electrical supply (ie have an electrician check).

Dan - do you have a GS or are you wondering about their application in photography?

Thank you, I'll have them check into that. It really is a beast of a printer.

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 06:34:44 am »

Dan,

Vehicle wraps are something that it's particularly good for with its gamut and output quality.  They're not cheap, but they're designed for a whole different part of the printing industry (where the price point is quite attractive).
Phil Brown

NWFAP

• Matthew S. - From NW Fine Art Printing
    • Northwest Fine Art Printing
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 12:57:59 pm »

I agree.  Our shop loves the GS6000s we have.  The machine is so versatile it can do fine canvas prints one day, large outdoor scrim banners the next day, and vehicle and window graphics the day after.  I've recently expanded into the local window graphic markets and it's paying for my machines almost every week.  In my area we have lots of new buildings that are retail on the bottom and residential above and since the economy is so bad they are sitting almost completely empty and one of the ways they are advertising is to do window graphics... MORE opportunity in that area then any other printing opportunity in my opinion because you don't have to compete with online pricing.  You can't buy installation from these hack stores doing decal and sticker printing for a dollar a sq. ft. because they are not local.  Also, you can typically make money doing the digital artwork if you have a talented graphic designer in your operation (or you can contract with a local designer if you can't afford a full time employee).  Also, this market isn't over saturated yet like the on demand canvas and fine art printing markets.  The downside to this market though is the high initial cost to get into it: 1 solent/eco-solvent printer ($20,000-$50,000), 1 roll laminator ($5,000-$28,000), a graphics vinyl cutter ($2000, to $10,000).  If you go with a machine for printing like the GS6000 or another 64" wide printer you will need to get a lainator that is also 64" wide so that is a minimum of $8,000 if you want a decent brand (which trust me you do!), and a graphics vinyl cutter will also need to be 64" wide so you're gonna be at $10,000 for that and I recommend a Summa or Graphtec (We are bias to Graphtecs).  so you are talking about 35-50K to start up with vehicle and window graphics (before the cost of training and materials to learn how to print/finish/install vehicle wraps or window graphics). 

The other downside is the number of media suppliers that will bombard you with annoying sales pitches.  When we got into the large format game somehow people got my name and number and I received calls/drop ins for MONTHS promising they had the "Best media" and almost all of it wasn't compatible with the light solvent inks of the GS6000.  A rep from Pitman Co. came and gave me a book with several solvent medias that he "Guaranteed will work beautifully on the GS6000, after all Pitman sells more 6000s then any company in America."  We said great get us samples of 7-9 different medias for different applications and two days later we get an email from the Media Manufacturer (Intelicoat) saying that all the medias we requested samples of are not compatible with the GS6000 because of the light solvent ink.  He came back with his regional sales manager a few weeks later and we were talking about that vary situation but didn't mention to his sales manager that it was the Pitman rep who did this and the sales manager went on for like 10 minutes how Pitman's sales reps are so well trained and that kind of situation would never happen at Pitman! Really enjoyable.             

On a side note, I've only had one issue with the 6000 (green head stopped firing after a headstrike) and Decision one came out two days later and replaced it for me (I'm glad it was under warranty - $800.00 for a new print head, almost $900.00 in ink, and 1500.00 in labor costs).  Our warranty is now up and we bought extended warranties from the sales rep who sold us the G6000s.   
Matthew S.<br />Business Development<br /> G7 Expert
Pages: [1]   Go Up