Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clogged nozzels MSG (9900)  (Read 2000 times)

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Clogged nozzels MSG (9900)
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:12:42 am »

I have one short question, my Epson 9900 shows the Massage that some nozzles are clogged, however the printed nozzle check looks perfect, not even one missing line.

So is there a way to turn the massage off or another solution for it ? I already turned of the Auto cleaning, because right now my beloved printer had the urge to clean itself before the last few prints. (Which I cancled before turing it off)

The prints are perfect as well.

What do you think?

Thanks
Christopher
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:16:22 am by Christopher »
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Re: Clogged nozzels MSG (9900)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 09:18:17 am »

Well it seems I solved it by just turning it off and on again. Looks like it behaves again ;-)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 05:45:04 pm »

Christopher,

You may want to check your firmware revision.  The latest version will say some nozzles "may" be clogged and give you the option to clear the message.  It should also clear if you perform a manual nozzle check.

It's important to know that the AID is far more sensitive than the human eye in checking droplets.  A very minor variation in droplets (for example, a droplet is split on firing but both parts land so close that the manual check looks fine) might trigger the warning.

I'd recommend using setting 1 - that way you have control over when to clean but still have the alert message to warn you that a nozzle check may be a good idea.
Phil Brown

JimGoshorn

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:08:00 pm »

I can't seem to find my notes on how to change that setting. What's the procedure for that?

Thanks!

Jim

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:10:11 pm »

I can't seem to find my notes on how to change that setting. What's the procedure for that?

There are some release notes on the Epson Australia site (no direct link) under the 7900 and 9900.  From that document:

New Auto Nozzle Check Process

There are now 3 modes to choose from to operate the automatic nozzle check process with the AID system.

These are set under the Auto Cleaning Times menu option under the Maintenance Menu in the printers. 

To enter the Maintenance Menu, hold down the Pause Button while you switch the printer on.

Setting 1

This is the new default setting.  This setting also benefits from the improved AID accuracy.

Under Setting 1, the printer will perform an AID Check and if there are no blockages detected, the printer will print as normal.

In the event that an AID check does detect a blockage, the printer will display a warning on the LCD panel that Some Nozzles Are Clogged and then continue printing without performing any cleans.

You can choose to print a manual nozzle check pattern and perform manual cleans if desired.

Setting 2

This is the second new setting available and as with the other settings, it also benefits from the improved AID accuracy.

Under Setting 2, the printer will perform an AID Check and if there are no blockages detected, the printer will print as normal.

In the event that an AID check does detect a blockage, the printer will perform a cleaning cycle appropriate for the level of blockages detected.  It will then perform another AID check to determine if the blockage has been cleared.  If it still exists, the printer will display a warning on the LCD panel that Some Nozzles Are Clogged and then continue printing without performing any additional cleans.

You can choose to print a manual nozzle check pattern and perform manual cleans if desired.

Setting 3

This is the same as the previous setting on the printer, but it is no longer the default setting.  Even under Setting 3 the accuracy of the AID function has been improved and so better results should be obtained.

Under Setting 3, the printer will perform an AID Check and if there are no blockages detected, the printer will print as normal. 

In the event that an AID check does detect a blockage, the printer will perform a cleaning cycle appropriate for the level of blockages detected.  It will then perform another AID check to determine if the blockage has been cleared.  If it still exists, the printer will continue to cycle through clean and check a maximum of 3 cleaning cycles.  If the blockage has not been cleared by that time, the printer will display an error and offer to retry or not.

If you choose to retry, the sequence of up to three cleaning cycles will repeat.  If you choose not to continue, you can do a manual check yourself and perform manual cleaning if desired.

The difference with the latest firmware is that it says "may" be clogged.
Phil Brown

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:14:17 pm »

Could be you "may" be wasting ink.

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:04:31 am »

With option 1, you wouldn't be wasting ink if you see the alert and do a nozzle check.
Phil Brown

JimGoshorn

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:17:06 pm »

Thanks Phil.

You mentioned that the sensors are more sensitive than our vision is so how are we supposed to be sure that what looks to be a good nozzle check is really good? Up to this point, I have relied on nozzle checks to determine cleanings. Is the system now accurate enough so we just let the printer run cleaning cycles whenever it says that nozzles may be clogged?

Jim

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:39:17 pm »

It really depends on your application, Jim.  For photographers, I would always suggest setting 1 and use the alert purely as that - an alert that something might not be quite right and do a manual check.  If the nozzle check looks fine, then you won't see any problems with your images.  Feel free to check it under a loupe, too (you could even print one when there's no warning to keep as a reference).

It's a bit like pixel peeping, I guess.  A 2.95 picolitre drop is unlikely to make any visible difference in the real world compared to a perfect 3.0 picolitre drop, but the system may detect it as a problem.  Of course, you don't want to see that message constantly, but if you do see it, try a nozzle check and if you're happy then print away.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up