Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anas platyrhynchos  (Read 11485 times)

Dale Villeponteaux

Anas platyrhynchos
« on: October 24, 2010, 07:46:20 pm »

The ubiquitous mallard.  Capture sharpened with the head dodged.  C&C appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

popnfresh

Re: Anas platyrhynchos
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:36:24 pm »

Your anas is out of focus.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:22:23 pm »

Assuming it were in focus, why are we looking at it? This is not a zoology class, or a bird-watching forum. What is the story, what are you trying to communicate with the picture?

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:18:14 pm »

A whimsy really.  As in the picture title, a bird sifting light and water, looking for gold.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:25:17 pm by DaleVilleponteaux »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 03:41:08 am »

A whimsy really.  As in the picture title, a bird sifting light and water, looking for gold.
It takes more imagination than I have to derive that thought from the image, I'm afraid. I can't help wondering if without the duck it might have been an interesting abstract.

Jeremy

shutterpup

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 12:31:31 pm »

It takes more imagination than I have to derive that thought from the image, I'm afraid. I can't help wondering if without the duck it might have been an interesting abstract.

Jeremy

My thought exactly when I looked at it yesterday.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 12:56:04 pm »

Jeremy
Aha! A job for Content-Aware Fill!!!
(Apologies, Dale.)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 05:49:12 pm »

Aha! A job for Content-Aware Fill!!!
(Apologies, Dale.)

Prefer the brain surgery idea, myself.

Rob C

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 06:34:27 pm »

Ah well, I fear this picture is a child only a parent could love. "'Tis a poor thing, but mine own."
Thanks for looking
Dale

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 07:28:05 pm »

Prefer the brain surgery idea, myself.

Rob C
I would have used the chainsaw but I couldn't find it buried under my pile of recent prints and discarded body parts. So I used CS5 instead.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

fredjeang

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 07:43:05 pm »

...I read first the OP Anal platyrhynchos,
I Happily thought there was finally a little bit of sex and depravation in the forum...then I saw the blured duck.
Oh well.

stamper

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 04:01:20 am »

I often look at images on here and other sites and then at the comments and insights attributed to them by posters and wonder at what they have "seen". Either their imagination is a lot better than mine or their imagination is illusory. I sometimes think that they see something for the sake of it rather than what is "real" I know that everybody has and is entitled to their opinions but I am often left head scratching. Either I have a lot to learn - a distinct possibility - or some of them are exacting the P.  :(

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 04:06:25 am »

I often look at images on here and other sites and then at the comments and insights attributed to them by posters and wonder at what they have "seen". Either their imagination is a lot better than mine or their imagination is illusory. I sometimes think that they see something for the sake of it rather than what is "real" I know that everybody has and is entitled to their opinions but I am often left head scratching. Either I have a lot to learn - a distinct possibility - or some of them are exacting the P.  :(

As that famous line in Apocalypse Now almost went: I love the smell of urine in the morning.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 04:16:56 am »

...I read first the OP Anal platyrhynchos,
I Happily thought there was finally a little bit of sex and depravation in the forum...then I saw the blured duck.
Oh well.

Fred, you frighten me: yet another experience we shared!

Rob C

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 06:23:51 am »

One last to show I can occasionally get the focus right.  Less gold on the water, too, so less trouble to the imagination.
Thanks,
Dale

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 08:57:19 am »

What escapes me is why these shots should be considered any less worthy of serious consideration than many others I have seen here.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 10:06:21 am »

What escapes me is why these shots should be considered any less worthy of serious consideration than many others I have seen here.

Since this section is "The Art of Photography," and since this particular board is "User Critiques" as they pertain to this art, it seems the overwhelming consensus is there is nothing "artsy" in the original image (nor, in my mind, the second image). And I don't mean any disrespect.

To me, there are 3 potential payoffs to photographing a duck in the water: (1) an exceptional photo of the duck, showing either exquisite shape or color [or both], (2) something compelling about the water itself that surrounds the duck, or (3) something interesting about the duck and its relationship to the water [e.g., flapping & spraying the water, etc.].

I don't think either photo achieves any of these 3 potential elements well at all. The quality of the duck image is (at best) common; the quality of the water is (again, at best) common; and the way the duck is sitting on the water is nothing out of the ordinary either. I personally see nothing in either photo that I haven't seen in the hundreds of times I've seen ducks on the water.

I think a compelling nature shot has to capture either the form ... or the color ... or the action of wildlife in its environment in some kind of attention-grabbing way that we don't get to see every day.

And, with all due respect, I don't think any of these images does this well at all.

Or at least not for me ...

Jack

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:08:39 am by John Koerner »

stamper

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 10:25:32 am »

I think the various opinions sums up why. Are you bucking the trend and stating that you find them worthy? If so why? ???

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 10:58:25 am »

To John Koerner,

This is helpful.
Thanks,
Dale

stamper

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 11:51:03 am »

To John Koerner,

This is helpful.
Thanks,

Dale did you think the image was good? At the end of the day that is all that counts. :)
Dale
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up