Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spectraview II and P221w Unable to communicate with any monitors  (Read 12060 times)

samalama

I have just received a NEC P221W 22" monitor from B and H the other day. And for the life of me I can't get Spectraview II 1.1.05 (Current version) to talk to my monitor.
Here is my setup
Windows 7 64 bit
Nvidia 9500 geforce gt with current drivers as of this morning.
I have reinstalled both the program and the nvidia drivers 3 times with no good results.
I also, downloaded Spectraview from NEC in case the CD version I have is corrupted. No go on that one.
When going to the display configuration page, The monitor I have doesn't even show up in the pull down list. It just says Display 1 : None
On the main page, the Display pulldown list shows the P221W as (No Communications)
When installing Spectraview, The installer does recognize the monitor, graphics card, and the NEC xrite calibrator.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Roy

• http://
Re: Spectraview II and P221w Unable to communicate with any monitors
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:05:47 pm »

Do you have a USB connection between the monitor and your computer? If not, try that.
Roy

samalama

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:05:23 pm »

This model does not come with a USB port.
I am using DVI cable too.
Or course NEC's site is lacking in the help dept.
So if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great!

samalama

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 01:05:14 am »

So I just plugged the DVI cable into my On Board Graphics card. Intel Mobo dq35joe and updated the video graphics drivers and chipset while I was at it. I still can't get the dang monitor to recognize spectraview. It's driving me crazy!

Brad Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:26:06 am »

I had essentially the same problem with my NEC MultiSync 3090W monitor and the color calibrator/Spectraview II that came with it. I solved it by plugging the color calibrator into a usb port on the computer, not on the monitor as the NEC setup instructions would imply.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:04:18 am »

So I just plugged the DVI cable into my On Board Graphics card. Intel Mobo dq35joe and updated the video graphics drivers and chipset while I was at it. I still can't get the dang monitor to recognize spectraview. It's driving me crazy!

There must be a problem with DDC/CI implementation on your graphics card, I usually had such problems with on board cards, so maybe it interracts somehow with your nVidia? Try to disable the on board GC in BIOS, and try again. I'd also open Device Manager>Monitors and update monitor driver.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

samalama

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:48:29 pm »

I went into the BIOS and selected Peg only as the graphics card. No go. I think the Nvdia update killed my ability to use this software. I was able to use it before I updated the software, but it was flaky at best. More often than not it would not be able to find the monitor. That is why I updated the drivers etc.
Now, I also moved everything to the on board graphics card and told it to do only the on board stuff. That worked but get this, The NEC xrite device is now crashing the calibration software.
If anyone has any ideas as to what the heck is going on I would appreciate it.

Or do I have to shell out more cash for another video card? If so, what do I get?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 11:10:50 am »

My experience with NEC's tech support is that they are very responsive. I recommend you get in touch with them and ask them for advice.

DDC compliance is a difficult area, but it should work with NEC's own software. That said, you may wish to download a demo of BasicColor Display, install it and see whether using that program allows DDC to be recognized and operated. Before doing this, make sure your OS is reset to its default conditions in the graphics area and make sure you have correctly loaded the latest drivers for your video card. I would recommend using the DVI to DVI connection directly from the video card to the monitor, and pluf your colorimeter into a USB Port which is on the computer itself, hence directly connected to the motherboard. When you set-up BasicColor, make sure it is set to LUT V4 profile generation, that the correct colorimeter is selected, and the operation mode is set to allow the program to recognize DDC. Read the Manual before starting.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 12:13:02 am »

We are still looking into this, but there may be a chance that the latest Nvidia drivers break DDC/CI communications on some board+OS combinations. For now I would recommend trying to find a video driver from a few months ago and trying that.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

walter.sk

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 10:41:15 am »

We are still looking into this, but there may be a chance that the latest Nvidia drivers break DDC/CI communications on some board+OS combinations. For now I would recommend trying to find a video driver from a few months ago and trying that.

Since you are already in this thread I would like to ask what might be a related question.  I am using the NEC 3090 with the most recent Spectraview II software, and have not been having problems until I go my new computer (i7 930, 6Gb DDR3 RAM, and a pair of nVidia GTX 460 video cards (1Gb each) in SLI configuration.  Everything seems to work well until I have one or more external hard drives, or one or more thumb drives, connected to the front USB ports on the computer.

The drives work fine if I hot-plug them.  However, if I leave them plugged in, shut the computer down and then reboot, Windows loads at a very low resolution and I get a message (sometimes) saying that Windows has detected a problem and shut down the nVidia cards.  The Control Panel>Display or Control Panel>Color Management dialogues cannot find the NEC 3090.  If I unplug the USB drive or thumb drive from the computer's front USB port, when I reboot everything is fine, except that I have to go into the Spectraview software and re-select the NEC display as Display 1.

What are your thoughts on this?

nilo

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:21:14 am »

Hi samalama,

I have/had the same problem with my PA241w on win7/64. The only workaround I found is to run Spectraview (as administrator) and in the tool-box, to click "auto detect". There it goes.

Hope that helps

regards
nino

skipcooney

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 03:01:34 pm »

OK so where do I look for an older Nvidia driver? I have 260.99 and it will not communicate with my P221W in Spectraview II.

skipcooney

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 11:31:20 pm »

I uninstalled all 3 Nvidia programs/drivers in control panel then restarted. An older Nvidia driver installed automatically on restart and my P221W was now detected by Spectraview II. Calibration went smoothly after that.

Now I just have to learn how to use all this wonderful equipment to get accurate color on my prints.

BruceGordon

• http://
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:06:04 pm »

...Or course NEC's site is lacking in the help dept. ...
LOL,

Where else but here could someone like Will H. from NEC magically appear and help disprove this?

I've been running the P221W for a few months now and am amazed at how much ink I'm not wasting.

IMHO the cost of this monitor will pay for itself in a few years.  Now if I only read LuLa before buying my 2880 and bought the 3880 instead I might be able to afford that Leitz lens sooner ...

chaspfrank

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 09:19:53 pm »

Newbie here with the same issues described by Samalama in his (or hers) original post. I have an NVidia GE GTS450 video adapter, with the latest drivers. This machine is a new (Newegg piece parts ) build.  Windows 7 4 bit.  Just got the NEC P221W monitor and cannot get either the Naviset nor the SpectraView software to recognize the monitor.  Exactly same issues as Sam described.  Driver is up to date, but I have no idea how to find an older one, or how to install it. If there is any help someone can lend it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Chasp

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 10:58:01 pm »

1. Be sure to download the latest "v1.1.07 rev 1" version of SpectraView which addresses some issues with the detection of the P221W on Windows 7. Hint: Use the "Help" menu -> "Check for updates" feature.

2. You can try the Nvidia v266.58 drivers. I believe Nvidia has fixed the issues with the 260.xx drivers in this version.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

andygock

• Andy Gock Photography
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 08:44:03 am »

I also had the same problem about a month ago with P221W as discussed here. Took a while to figure it out. But I can confirm doing what WillH posted here, made it all good!

It is somewhat confusing, and I would suggest to NEC to do something about this. That on the Spectraview II download page on NECs web site, it says the latest download is 1.1.07, but its not! It is 1.1.07 rev 1.

So when I was checking what version I have was by going to "About...", it says 1.1.07, then I check the web site to see if I have the latest version, it says latest download is 1.1.07, so I must have the latest version then! Umm no, the web site is lying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up