Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Detail in Dark areas  (Read 6948 times)

kenben

Re: Detail in Dark areas
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 06:47:24 pm »

I will probably work on the island in camera raw then load into photoshop as a smart object.Then bring it back into camera raw to open the exposure in the background. Bring this copy into photoshop as another layer and brush out the background.I really do not want to change the island much.Then go from there.

Aristoc

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 03:01:42 pm »

I would love to know what happened with printing this image. Did it work out the way you wanted? I realized you said that your monitor was set to R=50 G=50 B=50 in an earlier post. Seems very wrong.
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:05:54 pm by Aristoc »

kenben

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 05:29:21 pm »

Hi Arisotoc.I got a beautiful print.I created 2 separate files one of the island and one for the background.I then brought them in to Photoshop as separate layers.By masking and brushing in the background I achieved what I wanted.I then did a test print and from there I made some adjustments a nd I ended up with an excellent print.I am also more aware of the problems matt paper will cause.Especially in thbe dark areas.

kenben

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 07:53:43 am »

This week I got back to basics and dug out my copy of Scott Kelby's 7-Point System for Photoshop.Due to the fact I was doing a lot of shooting with very dark backgrounds I went back to the basics.Working much better.

I like the darker backgrounds when I get the right lighting in the foreground but plays havoc when it comes to printing.

ChasP505

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 12:55:44 pm »

...I realized you said that your monitor was set to R=50 G=50 B=50 in an earlier post. Seems very wrong.

For many monitors, this is the default factory settings for R-G-B.
Chas P.

Aristoc

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 05:43:58 pm »

from everything I read about what the RBG number should be on y our monitor, I definitely have come to the conslusion that if you are that low, then you have the improper settings. My dafault settings on my Dell 2209wa were 100-100-100. AFter hardware calibration the are 100-100-92. Something seems wroing about that and I think it may have added to the difference between monitor and print.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 02:03:02 pm »

I print with an Epson 4800 and have long suffered poor shadow rendition on print.  Any image data lower than Photoshop level 25 or 30  prints as pure black.  I can work around this with layers and masks, but it all takes time.

If I print a colour test chart in colour mode, the chart's monochrome steps are clipped from about level 25 down to zero.

If I print the same chart in Epson's "Advanced Black and White" mode, the blacks are perfect.  I see detail right down to about level 5.

For both tests, I use the same printing software (Qimage) same paper, same inks.  Only the printer "mode" has changed.

I see the same problem unchanged with several profiles and on several papers, both matt and lustre, but the problem disappears in ABW mode with the same settings and media. 

HALP! : )

thanks!

Peter

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up