Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Fine Art Paper by Genre/type  (Read 3691 times)

NWFAP

• Matthew S. - From NW Fine Art Printing
    • Northwest Fine Art Printing
Favorite Fine Art Paper by Genre/type
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:16:24 pm »

I've recently been testing medias from several manufacturers (Epson, Hahnemuhle, Ilford, Museo, and Moab - I'm still testing papers from Canson, Breathing color, and Magiclee).  So far my results have been very positive and eye opening.  I've tried to make comparisions between manufactueres to determine the best papers for the different uses.  My tests were run on my Epson Stylus Pro 9900s in my production facility in a clean room+climate controlled environment with just the Epson driver and profiles downloaded from the Manufacturer's websites.  When I start selling prints on these papers I will be running my 9900s with the Colorbyte Rip v. 8.0.  For testing I used two different photographs that are from Seattle Photographers who we make prints for, two different test prints (the Outback Test Print image and another test image similar in characteristics, and a watercolor painting we did reproductions for).  Another thing worth noting is that I did this testing for my photo lab/fine art printing company so I only tested medias that can be bought in 44" rolls for my 9900s.  This may have made me miss out on a few great papers.   My list is below, but I'd like to hear if anyone has different preferences.

Traditional Photo paper:
- Epson Premium Luster 270gsm
- Epson Premium Glossy 260gsm

Metallic:
- Mitsubishi Grace Pearlescent Metallic Inkjet Photo Paper 255gsm ( I know there has been a lot of discussion between the different Metallic papers for Inkjet printers but I've found they all print about the same and this one is the cheapest from ITsupplies.com about a 1.00 per sq. ft.)[/b]

Fine Art Textured Matte Paper:
- Hahnemuhle William Turner 190/310gsm

Fine Art Velvet Paper:
- Moab Somerset Enhanced Velvet 330gsm (This is an expensive paper - anyone compared this head to head with Breathing Color's Elegance Velvet 310gsm?)

Fine Art Smooth Paper:
- Museo Portfolio Rag 300 gsm

Fine Art Pearl:
- Hahnemuhle FineArt Pearl, 285 gsm

Fine Art Glossy/Baryta:
- Museo Silver Rag 300gsm

RC Papers:
Not tested the Canson Yet - Expect some exciting results. 
Matthew S.<br />Business Development<br /> G7 Expert

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Favorite Fine Art Paper by Genre/type
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 11:12:11 pm »

Check out Moab's new Somerset Museum Rag. It is also very expensive - but after trying it I have switched to it as my primary paper for fine art images. I have already ranted about how gorgeous it is in another thread; so will spare you further repetitive prose. Make sure you try it.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 01:14:41 am »

Metallic:
Mitsubishi Grace Pearlescent Metallic Inkjet Photo Paper 255gsm ( I know there has been a lot of discussion between the different Metallic papers for Inkjet printers but I've found they all print about the same and this one is the cheapest from ITsupplies.com about a 1.00 per sq. ft.)

Actually, there's a cheaper option. Try Proofline Photo Chrome from www.shadesofpaper.com (I have a review posted). Make sure you call or e-mail Shades of Paper for pricing, you'll get a better deal than what's listed on the site.

And I second Josh's comments on Museum Rag. I've got a review on that too, if you're interested in reading more about it.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 01:18:35 am »

I should also add that the Grace Pearlescent is the one metalic paper that actually looks different than the others. In the batch I tested the paper had what can only be described as glitter in it. I didn't like the look, personally. All the others are rebranded Mitsubishi/Pictorico Opalescent.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:29:41 am »

While textured paper is not everybody's choice, my favorite is HP Hahnemuhle Textured Fine Art, 310 gsm.  I find the William Turner to be similar by I prefer the HP Hahn's texture.

Second to that, I like the Bergger Fine Art paper, PN33.  It is textured as well, but somewhat more regular in the texture.

NWFAP

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 02:21:27 pm »

thanks for that info.  Please keep it coming!  Also, anyone have suggestions for coating prints?  My Drytac rep has told me about their new Giclee Coater that will be released in December. It's about 11,000 and can do roll or sheet up to 44" wide by 3" to 100' in length.  It uses their EnduraCoat Giclee liquid coatings.  It has two Reservoirs so I can have a Satin and Gloss finish running by just choosing the finish I want.  Cost is about 1/2 a penny per sq. ft.  The machine also recycles the coating that isn't used back into the correct reservoir so there is very little waste.  Not sure what type of clean up there is.   

NWFAP

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 02:31:00 pm »

I forgot to mention I've also considered coating prints with Hahnemuhle's can spray, Moab's Desert varnish spray, and I have a can of Premier Art's coating.  These different sprays work, but are very expensive and not an efficient way to apply a varinish for my company. 

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 07:11:53 am »

While textured paper is not everybody's choice, my favorite is HP Hahnemuhle Textured Fine Art, 310 gsm.  I find the William Turner to be similar by I prefer the HP Hahn's texture.

Did you compare several batches of each in time?  Even within batches the texture can change per roll. I think the 310 gsm versions of the papers are identical.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 01:12:56 pm »

If I felt I had a definitive opinion on this question, my studio wouldn't stock about 17 different papers! I'm a firm believer in picking a paper to compliment the image. That said, If I had to pick one favorite (OK, 2) my matte choice would be Canson Rag Photographique and Museo Silver Rag for a glossy/luster finish. Both are OBA-free and have pleasing surfaces. The Canson is smoother than Hahnemühle Photo Rag and almost as bright (Photo Rag contains a small amount of OBAs.) I love the lush look of Silver Rag and both papers have excellent blacks for their respective surfaces.

Once you get into textured matte surfaces, I think it really does come down to personal preference. There is a wide range of excellent papers available today.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi
Pages: [1]   Go Up