Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Content Aware Fill saves the day  (Read 2012 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Content Aware Fill saves the day
« on: October 23, 2010, 12:52:07 pm »

I am retired and live on a barrier island. I supplement my income by selling fine art prints to tourists, visitors, and locals. I have an advantage in that I am here year round, and can take advantage of the occasional awsome sky, etc. Yesterday was such a day here. Big blue sky, big  puffy clouds. The dunes bloom golden rods for three weeks or so in October. Yesterday I photographed most of the entire day, and I was certain I got some real winners. When I down loaded my card to my PC and viewed them in Sony's file browser, I felt sick. I used a Sony A900 and Zeiss 24~70 and Zeiss 16~35 lenses. ALL the 24~70 shots taken at 24mm had severe vignetting. I realized what I had done later. I acidentally put my slim polarizer ON TOP OF the UV filter that I always leave on my lenses (blowing fine sand and salt air envronment). This caused the vignetting. I knew I could crop the edges out severly (defeating the wide angle effect I wanted). I am also aware that PS has a function to help fix vignetting, but I have never used it, and I am far from a PS expert. What I did as a trial, was to convert the RAW file in ACR. Then I used an irregular selection of each corner and used Content Aware fill. It worked perfectly. Fortunately the vignetted areas had no detail. Blue sky/clouds on top, and sand and shells on bottom. It saved the day. Looks perfect.
Dave  ::)
www.moernpictorials.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Content Aware Fill saves the day
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 04:01:43 pm »

Nice story, but are you sure that is your web site, "moern..."? Looks like you wanted to say Modern Pictorials, no?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:06:59 pm »

I have used content aware fill when stitching panoramics from multiple images -- if I have some edges of sky that need to be filled after cropping, this tool works very well.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:26:04 pm »

Nice story, but are you sure that is your web site, "moern..."? Looks like you wanted to say Modern Pictorials, no?
Never was a good typist. Thanks for picking up on it. It should be
www.modernpictorials.com
Best regards
Dave

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:49:42 pm »

Are you sure content-aware fill was more suited to the task that any of the dedicated methods to correct vignetting?

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 02:21:31 pm »

Are you sure content-aware fill was more suited to the task that any of the dedicated methods to correct vignetting?
I did not try any other method. My PS skills are limited to the basics (all that I did in my Chemical Darkroom).
Best regards
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up