Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smooth zoom on 7D?  (Read 15845 times)

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Smooth zoom on 7D?
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:19:10 pm »

I see that some companies sell devices for follow focus on dslrs.

I am looking for something similar for the zoom.  When I use my fingers to turn the zoom ring while shooting video, its never really smooth and I often move the camera.

Does anyone make something you can attach to the lens for a smooth zoom?

fredjeang

Re: Smooth zoom on 7D?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 05:24:50 am »

Something similar was discussed here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=44622.0

I must ad that I found the vintage manual primes much more suitable for video and indeed that can deserve top performances on a ridiculous price in e-bay.

I precisely kept the Pentax mount for this because there is no other dslr system that has such a full grade of integration with their mount and such a big choice in the vintage market.
So I can use vintage manual primes with full functions, no need adapter, nothing. It bloody works, focus led viewfinder is trustable even in low light and for video, it bloody works very well.
A very interesting alternative to the Canons.

As an example, I always use the Canon when it comes to the pro tasks, I have to. But I find myself never choosing the Canon when I'm doing my own stuff and always choose the Pentax. Why? because it works much better with the lenses. It has some downsides (motion jpegs) but in real work they are more suitables. It's not very well known, people always think Canon, but I've gave my Pentax to some videographers that where working with the Canon and they didn't want to give it back to me...true!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:30:35 am by fredjeang »

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 09:24:59 am »

Something similar was discussed here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=44622.0

I must ad that I found the vintage manual primes much more suitable for video and indeed that can deserve top performances on a ridiculous price in e-bay.

I precisely kept the Pentax mount for this because there is no other dslr system that has such a full grade of integration with their mount and such a big choice in the vintage market.
So I can use vintage manual primes with full functions, no need adapter, nothing. It bloody works, focus led viewfinder is trustable even in low light and for video, it bloody works very well.
A very interesting alternative to the Canons.

As an example, I always use the Canon when it comes to the pro tasks, I have to. But I find myself never choosing the Canon when I'm doing my own stuff and always choose the Pentax. Why? because it works much better with the lenses. It has some downsides (motion jpegs) but in real work they are more suitables. It's not very well known, people always think Canon, but I've gave my Pentax to some videographers that where working with the Canon and they didn't want to give it back to me...true!

Thank you for not answering my question.  This is the second time you have done this with one of my posts. Please--do us all a favor and learn how to read English, and then confine your remarks to answering the post. If you want to start your own post, it would be better than hijacking someone else's.

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 11:35:57 am »

Spotmeter, sorry but this time I have to disagree.
The other day I actually misunderstood your question and recognized it, but today I reread again and my answer was aimed to your concern. I was trying to help you and maybe you expected different answer but the link I provided actually is giving a possible answer to your question: Does anyone make something you can attach to the lens for a smooth zoom, those rings exist and can be used for zooming.
There are people who take all that circus too personal and too seriously.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:18:52 pm by fredjeang »

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 02:32:25 pm »

Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up