Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I did a boo boo  (Read 2053 times)

Mike Normandeau

I did a boo boo
« on: October 22, 2010, 05:41:38 pm »

Hi - I have Lightroom 3 and just got a new computer.  In my haste to move everything over to the new one I copied all photos from folder on old computer to new computer, then created a folder in Lighroom on the new computer in which the photos are located.  When I opened Lightroom on the new comp I realized that none of the metadata or edits came with the photos.  Needless there are hours and hours of edits that are now missing.  I do have the catalog file and tried importing it but when I open the picture it says no file is associated to it.  I've also tried associating the folder to the catalog with no success.  I know, I'm an idiot!  :-[  Can anyone help me sort this out?  Appreciate the help - thanks.

Mike in Montreal

P.s.  Can no longer export the catalog from the old computer as everything on that one is no longer installed.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: I did a boo boo
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 05:49:55 pm »

Have you tried moving the images to the same directory structure where they were located on the old computer and then opening the Lightroom catalog?  If the Lightroom library is looking for images in C:\Pictures for example, it doesn't care which C:\Pictures it looks in.  Once the catalog is active, you can move the images (FROM WITHIN LIGHTROOM) wherever you want them to be.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Mike Normandeau

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:35:20 pm »

They used to be on drive "E" and I no don't "E" on my new rig...

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 07:17:59 pm »

Can you remap the drive as E:?  (I have assumed your O/S is on C:)

Screenshot attached attempts to show steps needed to change drive letter under Win 7:

Control Panel --> System & Security --> Administartive Tools --> Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions

Then right click drive you wish to change letter and change it --> "Change Drive Letters and Paths" (if you have another drive currentlysitting as E change it to another letter first). 

Simple to do, just be aware that if you have programs installed on the drive you are changing letter for Windows may not be smart enough to revise all the Registries to the new letter even though you are using a windows utility to make the change (I just don't know).

And also be careful that you do not select Format Drives (next option on choices down from "Change Drive Letters and Paths") - it will erase everything.

[size=12p

jpegman

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:46:32 pm »

Another thought - Can you reinstall LR on your old computer (Adobe lets you have 2 computers) or even as a trial, find your old E:\photos, and catalog, and then export your catalog and directory to where you can access them on your new computer?  If you just copied your photos to your new computer, you should be all set when you reinstall LR to do it right the 2nd time.

sertsa

• some of my photos
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 01:27:05 am »

Right click on the folder in Lightroom and try "Update folder location".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 03:25:06 am »

Get the lrcat file - the catalogue - from your previous computer or from your backup and put the file on your new one. Double click this file in Explorer, which restarts LR. Then follow the advice to "update folder location".

John

Mike Normandeau

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:38:48 am »

John, you tha man!!!!!!!!  Everything is back  ;D

Thanks to all for the help!  Great group on this forum.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up