Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Largest Size to Print from 1DS MK3?  (Read 1349 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Largest Size to Print from 1DS MK3?
« on: October 22, 2010, 07:31:46 am »

What would people say is the general consensus on how large one can print from a Canon 1DSMK3 file (a sharp clean capture with high quality prime lens) without sacrificing quality beyond acceptable levels? that is to say; without pixel peeping the image for visual ques of uprezzing etc.

My reason for asking - I am about to announce (ok.. this makes it a pre-announcement)  ;D A new upcoming exhibition and new official gallery representation (details to come soon). Part of the exhibition is going to be prints larger than I have traditionally made - the largest to date being 24" x 36".

Would it be reasonable to expect sharp clean captures from the 1DS MK3 to maintain their look and not break up printing as large as 44" x 60" using Lightroom's uprezzing capability?

Since all of my prints to date have been in the 13 x 19 - 24 x 36 size range this is not an issue I have had to deal with before. On 13 x 19 paper with my usual 1" margin prints are in the order of 360 PPI - a contact print effectively. At 24 x 36 its 200 PPI and Lightrooms printing uprezzing handles this beautifully. What about 44 x 60? Or bigger?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: Largest Size to Print from 1DS MK3?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:50:02 am »

In my own limited experience, I've found that the commercial uprezzing programs sometimes work really well, and sometimes not.

I got interested in this uprezzing thing when a client asked me to take a sharp D200 capture up to 7 x 8 feet. I really didn't think that it would be the least bit feasible, but to my surprise, it turned out really well. But this image had lots of clean lines - the kind of thing that the uprezzers are good at. Other busy images I've tried have been not so successful.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:15:50 pm »

You can check yourself - just uprez to say 4' 6' then crop back to 2'x3' so you just get a 1/4 of the image...  It I win the lottery this weekend, I'll come by on your opening :)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 05:18:19 pm »

You can check yourself - just uprez to say 4' 6' then crop back to 2'x3' so you just get a 1/4 of the image...  It I win the lottery this weekend, I'll come by on your opening :)

Thanks Tim - I thought of doing that last night - its a good idea and will try it.

If you do make it out here at some stage let me know... I'll take you down the Great Ocean road for some Aussie Landscapes  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up