Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WILL PAY MONEY TO FIND OUT HOW!!!!  (Read 4494 times)

Mark Potter

WILL PAY MONEY TO FIND OUT HOW!!!!
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:45:34 pm »

I have searched these forums and read multiple post and i'm just to stupid to figure it out  - so stupid people pay and I am willing to pay for an answer!

I need to print a 24" print and frame it so there is no white showing. Most frames have an opening of 23.5 inches and I cannot get my Z3100 to make a 24" print on 24" paper that can be framed in a 24" frame!!! WTF!!!!

I always avoid having to print this size as IT NEVER WORKS so with my 24" printer I have to stay with 20x30, 18x24 (long ways) and so on because this 24" printer can't make a 24" print that can be framed in a 24" frame!!!!

I am drinking now to try and calm myself down...

I do understand that I am printing on Matte paper and cannot print borderless but my slim understanding is the printer should on be leaving a .5mm around all sides and this never happens in fact it's not even the same on all the sides?

my set-up
Mac OSX - Current
PS CS4
HP Z3100

if someone can give me a run down step-by-step I will pay, let me know how much and I will paypal the funds! Please make sure it can work as others have talked about what they do with their printer and they are trying to help but it's not my printer or my system with my options so I just don't get-it and the solutions never work...

I have worked weeks on this painting it is due Sunday and all I can come up with is to leave a defined white boarder to simulate a mat AND THAT DON'T EVEN WORK!!!! printer is adding/ subtracting space so the dame thing is coming out off-set!

GOD I HATE LARGE FORMAT PRINTING!!!!!!!!!! I have learned the calibration, profiling and proofing with help from this form and really get great results, I have it to where color is never the problem, it's getting the damn thing to put the ink down where I need it.

I am ready to pay for my stupidity and lack of experience... PLEASE HELP! I am about to take a hammer to this printer!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:10:41 pm by Mark Potter »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: WILL PAY MONEY TO FIND OUT HOW!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 11:56:12 pm »

I can't answer your question, but I recall reading in a thread a long time ago that the z3100 does not support borderless printing on anything other than glossy or luster papers.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 03:11:00 am »

I can't answer your question, but I recall reading in a thread a long time ago that the z3100 does not support borderless printing on anything other than glossy or luster papers.

Right. So one has to use glossy or lustre paper to get there. If it has to be matt then make a custom media preset of a gloss one and calibrate + profile the matt paper with that and print borderless on matt. It will use PK so with less Dmax as a result. Writing about rolls here.

One may wonder if it wouldn't have been a good idea to spend more money on a 20" wider printer model than rewarding a good answer on how to get less than 2% waste on paper widths.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Mark Potter

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:05:48 am »

Mark,

Frustrating for sure but don't knock yourself out....
A simple solution would be to trim the  narrow white "borders" off  the print and surface mount it on any dark color mat that would disguise the small difference between the print edge and the frame reveal. I often use a dark predominent color or black.If you are concerned about the art touching the glass you can use spacers to separate.
I do this all the time when customers have odd size photos they want to fit in ready made frames near the size of the photo or document that are just too little a difference to cut a very narrow window mat.

You can send the money to .......;-)

That is a nice alternative and I have done this on 23x30 when I do things like edge deckling. but I don't have a local solution for mounting to something that already is 24" to fit in the frame. Can't even get matte board in 24 x 36 to mount to unless special order.

Yes, you are correct as I mentioned I am using matte so i understand I cannot print borderless - but it's my understanding that the printer should only be leaving a .5mm white edge which, mine is not, it varies? and usually more than .5mm.

I try to overcome by leaving .75 boarder around the painting as a white outline trim but when I print it it is not centered and that board is wrong???

Right. So one has to use glossy or lustre paper to get there. If it has to be matt then make a custom media preset of a gloss one and calibrate + profile the matt paper with that and print borderless on matt. It will use PK so with less Dmax as a result. Writing about rolls here.

One may wonder if it wouldn't have been a good idea to spend more money on a 20" wider printer model than rewarding a good answer on how to get less than 2% waste on paper widths.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

I think I tried creating a borderless profile as I still have it loaded for some other matte media but that did not work - same uneven white edges that is just enough to see when framed...

Please understand that this is not a waste issue, never was, never will be. I wasted yards of paper and ink when creating paintings with reviewing paintings in progress, adjusting tones before final output and so on. Paper waste is not an issue - I eat it like candy.

i do agree a larger printer would be THIS answer just as it is to my smaller prints but if I had a 44" printer i would have the same problem printing 44" and the same with a 60" when printing 60" prints...

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:41:11 am »

Mark,
As a professional printer and mounter we have simplified our workflow by measuring then making frames,mounts and gallery wraps after printing.
ALL the stress you are going through is gone. Printing with Epsons 3800,7900 and 9900 the only one we use borderless printing with is the 3800 on 8 1/2 x 11's.
Other then that we print, measure,trim if necessary and cut the frame or mount to match the print,so easy.

Randy Carone

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:46:23 am »

A larger printer of a different brand could be the solution. Epson's 7890/7900 (24") and the 9890/9900 (44") can both print Borderfree on 24" and 44" roll media, respectively. Epson's 11880 (64") can not print Borderfree on 64" (63.75" is the max print on that roll size) but can print Borderfree on rolls up to 54" wide.
Randy Carone

Mark Potter

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 11:13:48 am »

A larger printer of a different brand could be the solution. Epson's 7890/7900 (24") and the 9890/9900 (44") can both print Borderfree on 24" and 44" roll media, respectively. Epson's 11880 (64") can not print Borderfree on 64" (63.75" is the max print on that roll size) but can print Borderfree on rolls up to 54" wide.

Replace my printer, really, that's a solution to my problem?  The car had a flat so replace the car?  I wonder if I can get a NEW printer, get it up and running, learn all I know to know to get a reliable print out... by presentation on Sunday.

Can those Epson's print borderless on matte as i am trying? Maybe they can, I do know that the matte paper is issue that's preventing borderless printing with the Z3100. I did look at the Epson's and with the no profiling and constant clogging - I had two smaller Epson's, a larger version of the same problems was not an option. I am not a print maker and my equipment will sit for weeks unattended.

Mark Potter

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 11:23:12 am »

As it stands I guess I am not going to print a 24" print and frame it without some white edges poking thru so maybe someone can help me make this print with a defined border? I have tried printing to a custom paper size of 24x36 with 0" margins. I have a PS paper file size of .75 smaller all the way around (22.5 x 34.5 ) printed with both settings of "print with margins - clip contents" and print with margins - oversize" both produce a print that has unequal sides?

Why does this have to be so hard!

Randy Carone

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 01:27:55 pm »

i do agree a larger printer would be THIS answer just as it is to my smaller prints but if I had a 44" printer i would have the same problem printing 44" and the same with a 60" when printing 60" prints...

Mark,

I was addressing your statement above - not trying to tell you to buy a new printer. I was not saying to throw the printer out because it lacks a feature you need. BTW, yes the Epson will print Borderfree on matte and gloss papers. Sorry if my post was not clear.
Randy Carone

SergeyT

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 11:48:42 am »

I am using matte so i understand I cannot print borderless - but it's my understanding that the printer should only be leaving a .5mm white edge which, mine is not, it varies? and usually more than .5mm.

I try to overcome by leaving .75 boarder around the painting as a white outline trim but when I print it it is not centered and that board is wrong???

I  print on a z3200 and have never had uneven borders, and I seem can make my z to print that min border on any paper matt or glossy. On roll papaer always.
 I think when I tried to print on a couple of sheets I did see the uneven boarder,  printer makes one border wider by cutting of part of the image...

This is what I do..again on roll...
1. resize the image to 23.5 x <whatever you need but longer then 23.5> at either 300 or 600 input dpi.
2. resize the canvas to 24 x <whatever the image size is> +.5
3. pick up the paper size in the driver 24 x <your image canvas size> + 2
4. set Top = -0.192 (as i remember)
5. set Left = -0.192 (as i remember)
6. Print

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:03:56 pm by SergeyT »

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 08:32:55 pm »

Have you tried printing from a PC? Just a possibility to your problem. I don't know the answer.
Eduardo

KevinWilliams

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 05:35:55 pm »

Why don't you trim the edges and mount it to a black board. You won't see white edges then! Also I thought the z2100 printed borderless? I haven't actually tried to print borderless but it says it can.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 05:28:56 am »

Why don't you trim the edges and mount it to a black board.
As a one-off that would be a solution, but it is nice to be able to print standard sizes to fit standard frames without having to trim... and I do not have a 36" or 48" trimmer, and I would not want to have to do it with a hand-held knife!

Replace my printer, really, that's a solution to my problem?  The car had a flat so replace the car? 
You can almost buy a "pro" camera for the cost of a pro 24" printer!
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1]   Go Up