Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Factory  (Read 3038 times)

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
The Factory
« on: October 21, 2010, 04:21:28 pm »

Well, not exactly a factory, but an abandoned power plant.

As usual, all C&C appreciated.

fredjeang

Re: The Factory
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 04:34:20 pm »

Hi Edu.

3 is my favorite. Like it a lot.

Also one of the very few times I'd like to see a colored version.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:20:48 pm »

I also like the third one. And the second might look better with some of the bottom/left cropped.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:41:40 am »

Powerful images, Eduardo.

The second looks perfect to me, and the third is almost frightening in its message. I think it's a great use of black/white imagery.

There's an old, abandoned nightclub on a road near the Hospìtal de Muro in Mallorca; it's huge, covered in graffiti, has broken rafters with things hanging down that waft in the wind. I watched it and the pigeons for hours when my wife and I were in that hospital there on different occasions, and it has tempted me many times. But I never quite summoned the nerve to break and enter. There was always something evil about it. Then just this week or last, the papers printed a story of three people who were living in it; two called the police to state that the third had fallen down some stairs, but forensics said no, it's murder. Just as well I didn't have the nerve to go in there. All the menace of the Blair Witch Project... I think some places just quietly scream No!

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 11:36:23 am »

Edu, You're in my favorite territory. Next to street I love abandoned structures most, and this is some structure. What hits me hardest is your control of the mid-tones. You and Seamus Finn seem really to have mastered the zone system. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

popnfresh

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:25:33 pm »

I also like #3 the best. The composition is a little loose, IMO, but it stands out from the others because you're going in tighter on the buildings, making the image more immediate and a little abstract. The others are more aloof and less interesting to me.
Also, I'd be curious how you shot these. It looks to me like you used a red filter to get your interesting tonalities.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:44:26 pm by popnfresh »

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 05:20:11 am »

First of all, thanks everyone for your comments!

Hi Edu.

3 is my favorite. Like it a lot.

Also one of the very few times I'd like to see a colored version.

Unfortunately, I did the color to black and white conversion first, and then added a lot of editing after that... I am afraid that I cannon produce a color version that matches the black and white posted.

I also like the third one. And the second might look better with some of the bottom/left cropped.

I tried to follow your suggestion, but then the towers move too much towards the center of the picture, and I wanted them on the far right, unbalancing the frame; I could not get something I liked, but I am open to proposals.

Powerful images, Eduardo.

The second looks perfect to me, and the third is almost frightening in its message. I think it's a great use of black/white imagery.

There's an old, abandoned nightclub on a road near the Hospìtal de Muro in Mallorca; it's huge, covered in graffiti, has broken rafters with things hanging down that waft in the wind. I watched it and the pigeons for hours when my wife and I were in that hospital there on different occasions, and it has tempted me many times. But I never quite summoned the nerve to break and enter. There was always something evil about it. Then just this week or last, the papers printed a story of three people who were living in it; two called the police to state that the third had fallen down some stairs, but forensics said no, it's murder. Just as well I didn't have the nerve to go in there. All the menace of the Blair Witch Project... I think some places just quietly scream No!

Rob C

Abandoned buildings are very attractive to me, too; not only photographically, but also (industry-)archaeologically and anthropologically. But the coward inside me does not dare to enter anywhere interesting. This building, on the other hand, is not abandoned enough, as some parts of the plant are still being used (at least, someone must be paying the bills for the lights that are still on).

Edu, You're in my favorite territory. Next to street I love abandoned structures most, and this is some structure. What hits me hardest is your control of the mid-tones. You and Seamus Finn seem really to have mastered the zone system. Bravo!

I am turning all shades of red now...

I also like #3 the best. The composition is a little loose, IMO, but it stands out from the others because you're going in tighter on the buildings, making the image more immediate and a little abstract. The others are more aloof and less interesting to me.
Also, I'd be curious how you shot these. It looks to me like you used a red filter to get your interesting tonalities.

Thanks for the tip on composition, perhaps I can arrange another visit to the building.

All images where shot without filters (or perhaps I used a polarizer, cannot remember now). I did a first conversion from color to black and white, then added one layer with each of the RGB components, all of them in darken-only mode, and tweaked the curves separately for each layer; there is a bit of "HDR-effect" too, but just to enhance the textures.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 04:46:32 am »

Eduardo, I wish you hadn't posted those pictures.

I now find that I am starting to have personal fights with myself about the abandoned nightclub near Muro as well as another old relic, the mothballed power station in Alcudia.

That damned coward within, whom you have obviously met, is in conflict with the John Wayne one who shares the space. Between them, they seem determined to undermine my abilty to sleep and live at peace with myself. The principal argument they force me to have is with the other inhabitant, the scientist who insists that I only, ever, change lenses on the digital cameras when I'm safely in the office with my special lab brush to take dust from the rims of both the new lens and the vulva of the camera.

I shall obviously have to spend fuel driving back to these two locations with a lens already attached, check it out, and then return home to think about which one to fit for the kill. Do you remember those viewfinders they used to use in the movies? All those old directors wore them on cords around their necks; very cool. Very useful with digital too, I would imagine; no more spots!

For some reason the name Prendergast seems to be running through my mind just now; I wonder why? Maybe that's who the coward really is, and not me at all.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 12:13:37 pm »

Well, after lunch I took myself off to that old power station. Unfortunately, thought I confirmed my opinion that it IS a great site, it was also directly backlit when I visited. I tried a few snaps half hiding the sun itself behind pines, but though it may have worked on film, I don't know about digital. I opted for the widest I have - a 24mm on FF. Sadly, since I last visited the area many years ago, a lot of bushes have sprung up and masked off much of the vew through the fence.

The problem really is access. It is very well fenced off and I don't feel like facing a regiment of rats nor, possibly, a druggie dragoon (nor any kind of goon), so I shall perhaps try in the morning one day, when there is a storm brewing and some suitable clouds; even an afternoon with great clouds would work.

Damn, I might have to crop! Or use the small sensor camera instead.

Also drove to the nightclub, but though there was a temporary spot to ditch the wheels, going out onto the road would have got me killed. Probably not worth it for that subject.

I have yet to put the files into the computer, so I may or may not post, depending on how bad they might be.

;-(

Prendergast.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 04:43:55 pm »

Okay, so I did crop! I'd have been better off with a 35mm on the D700 or the 24mm on the D200, but I had it the other way around, on the D700. In fact, the wide shot is heavily cropped, so maybe a 50mm would have been smarter... next time.

There is quite a lot of detail, to my surprise, in the colour and also the conversion. I thought it would make more visual sense to lose it a bit and go for the extremes a little, so here we are.

There is a great shot there, but I can't get it. I see it when driving past because of the collective, mental exposures through the gaps in the bushes behind the fence. What I can see that way is beautiful, in an ugly sort of manner: there is a flat zone which is filled with stands like you see at the end of an airport runway (or possibly a power station), rows of them though, each with sets of glass isolation/insulation globes that, in the backlight, look like a bunch of jewels on sticks, scores of them. But, it's a collective image and not visible through one gap...

I think it probably is worth going back on a stormy day and waiting for clouds with impact.

Rob C

Edit: Maybe if I were to climb the tree or get a helicopter...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:40:21 pm by Rob C »

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 02:56:04 am »

I am glad my photographs induced you to make some more of your own, it is comforting to know they have a purpose in life, other than my own amusement...

I just hope you do not get into trouble and bring a lawsuit against me!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 03:44:53 am »

Eduardo, I wish you hadn't posted those pictures.

I now find that I am starting to have personal fights with myself about the abandoned nightclub near Muro as well as another old relic, the mothballed power station in Alcudia.

That damned coward within, whom you have obviously met, is in conflict with the John Wayne one who shares the space. Between them, they seem determined to undermine my abilty to sleep and live at peace with myself. The principal argument they force me to have is with the other inhabitant, the scientist who insists that I only, ever, change lenses on the digital cameras when I'm safely in the office with my special lab brush to take dust from the rims of both the new lens and the vulva of the camera.

I shall obviously have to spend fuel driving back to these two locations with a lens already attached, check it out, and then return home to think about which one to fit for the kill. Do you remember those viewfinders they used to use in the movies? All those old directors wore them on cords around their necks; very cool. Very useful with digital too, I would imagine; no more spots!

For some reason the name Prendergast seems to be running through my mind just now; I wonder why? Maybe that's who the coward really is, and not me at all.

Rob C
Rob, I'd like you to know that at least one of your readers understands (or thinks he understands) the reference to Prendergast.

Maybe we all do.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 04:40:39 am »

I am glad my photographs induced you to make some more of your own, it is comforting to know they have a purpose in life, other than my own amusement...

I just hope you do not get into trouble and bring a lawsuit against me!

And there I was, thinking that if I got stopped by the Guardia that a simple link to you here would get me off!

I have been thinking about trying to get permission to do some shots at the current powerplant in Alcudia; it's also a coal-fired system and sometimes produces a delicate yellow/green haze that tastes of sulphuric acid. Perhaps that's what has drifted over the bay and caused the rusting on the car, and it isn't the fault of the sea air at all.

Thanks for the inspiration! (To take pictures again, not to rust.)

Rob C

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 05:19:25 am »

Rob, I'd like you to know that at least one of your readers understands (or thinks he understands) the reference to Prendergast.

Maybe we all do.

Jeremy

I must confess I don't...

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 10:27:19 am »

I must confess I don't...

But it's simple: he's the alter ego that stops me doing things, that idiot in my head who kills the passion of the moment, the illicit thrills for which I might pay with my life.

Doesn't everybody have a Prendergast? Even a Fitzgerald would be acceptable, but not as confusing.

I trust this has clarified things.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 11:15:12 am »

I trust this has clarified things.

Absolutely! Thanks Rob.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 02:35:32 pm »

Absolutely! Thanks Rob.

You see¿

It's always like that: one only has to ask and all is revealed, as the actress said to the bishop. And you can't say that about Photoshop!

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up