Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography student - Hasselblad H3D-22 question  (Read 16633 times)

robert zimmerman

Re: Photography student - Hasselblad H3D-22 question
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 05:40:46 pm »

Hello,

I am a Photography student from Norway, in my last year on Norwegian School of creative arts.

At the moment, I got a Nikon D300 with all the Nikkor lense series. (14-24, 24-70, 70-200 etc.)

I have studied fashion for two years, and I wish to go this way in Photography when im done. And I want to get an assistant job for a photographer in New York or Paris in the near future, read. Craig Mcdean, Dusan reljin, Sølve Sundsbø, etc.

Anyway, a few days ago i got an offer to buy a Hasselblad H3D-22 with a HC 35mm Lens for 4.000$.

So my question is, is it worth it?

Is it any point buying this now, will i get anything out of it. The reason im asking is because a brand new H3Dii-31 w/80mm cost about 30.000$ in Norway.
But i can afford the H3D-22, and 4.000$ aint alot eather. But is this system so undated, that i would get better files from getting a new Nikon D700 or a D3x.

Thanks!

hei,
mcdean, reljin and sundsbø...you're on the right track.
nobody uses phocus in this business. everybody uses capture one.
get a canon or a nikon and capture one and photoshop and learn the software really, really, really, really well.
be bold, be fast, be dependable, bend over backwards and you'll do fine.
if you have a grip on equipment and software, you can work as assistant, a digital operator, in a studio or in the rent business to make money while building your book.
if you’re really good and bust your balls on your book you’ll be successful. if you aren’t and you don’t, well, you’ll find out soon enough.
oh, and here’s something to think about, berlin or munich won't get you into the door at vogue, but there's a lot of catalog and ad work and paying clients here, at least more than anywhere else in europe. just something to think about if you’re starving in london or freezing your nads off in oslo : )

lykke til,

kipling

alastairbird

• http://www.alastairbird.com
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 01:45:31 am »

I'm a professional photographer. I use Phocus exclusively with my Hasselblad digital back - not that I have much of a choice, but I do like the program.  With my Nikon I use Lightroom. I have never even opened C1.  I have, however, seen a presentation by Doug Peterson on C1 and I don't think it's possible for anyone to know that program better.  However, that's not my point.  My point is that somehow I have managed to muddle through for several years without either a Phase One back or a working knowledge of C1.

Whatever works....

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 02:43:28 am »

Same here :) I have also suffered worked for several years with Leaf Capture. I managed to survive without C1.

I totally agree about the catalogue work. It is not the most glamorous thing but it does pay the bills really well. I always had this personal rule that seems to work out really well. 'The more fun I have in a job, the less value I put in money'.

Much valuable information is given in this thread I think. I would add, go and have fun, try to survive and you will do just fine :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:21:35 am by Dustbak »

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 04:06:33 am »

hei,
mcdean, reljin and sundsbø...you're on the right track.

kipling

Im sorry, but that is a very narrow minded view, purely based on that fact that we have sold more than two cameras this year, therefore there are people using Phocus "in the business".

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 04:36:47 am »

Heaven is the place where cameras are made by Hasselblad and software is made by Phase One. Hell is he place where ...

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

robert zimmerman

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 06:06:26 am »

didn't mean to step on any toes...i'm sure there are a few people using phocus, lc, and canon's remote capture...just as there are people who still shoot on glass plates ; )))

seriously, i was refering to the large majority and to the fact that if you want to work as an assistant or a digital operator you need to know capture one.
every rent place on this side of the pond rents phase.

same goes for lighting, profoto and briese you need to know...elinchrom, balcar, etc. are rarely seen here. not that nobody uses them...they're just not a standard.
would be a good idea to be familiar with final cut and hd video cams as well... but i'm just stating the obvious here.

maybe most important thing to learn are people skills. if people like you and trust you, you'll usually do okay.

Adlern

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 06:28:24 am »

James, Dick and everyone: Thanks alot for your time and the feedback, appreciated!
It really gets me thinking, and ive decided to take a step back and wait. And rather work with the gear i already have.

It's good there are forums with people who have such a passion for this, you all inspire me.

- Sondre

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 11:34:03 am »

Heaven is the place where cameras are made by Hasselblad and software is made by Phase One. Hell is he place where ...

Edmund

You are wrong. Many professionals including myself using Phocus. I love it, sure it could be better in some aspects, but they are only on version 2.6. What's Capture One up to? v5.2?

The misgivings of the current incarnation of Phocus, are easily trumped by the DAC corrections and the final output file quality. And you know it's funny, a bunch of Hasselblad users were just commenting on how few complaints there are in their unified system.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:36:25 am by BrendanStewart »

fredjeang

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 12:14:43 pm »

I actually like pretty much Phocus.

The possibility to launch it from the beginning full or simplify for example shows that Hasselblad is listening to the photographers.
The only real criticsm I have about Phocus is it's Mac dependence, because the windows version does not have the third-party files available.
I know, I know... 90% (or more) photography is Mac, but it's changing a bit since windows 7. edit: and I've noticed that it's specially changing faster with the laptops.

David, if you see that post, is Hasselblad planning to implement the third party files on the window's version Phocus in the future?

But it's a nice peice of program. Younger than C1 but yet very good.

Honestly, I don't see huge differences with Capture One. They are just about the same. If you know well one or the other, it will take you very little to switch.
If you see that the gap is huge with capture, please I'd really like to know where and why? I run both now and like them both. Maybe exactly like comparing both cameras from the 2 brands. In the end, 10 buttons that do exactly the same thing for one century and nothing more than subtles differences. As we have to end in PS most of the time, those develloppers don't have, and hope they won't, to be the big artillery.
I prefer a very good and simple devellopper than a bad complex and integrated software that will try to by-pass the PS step (lightroom? he he...Michael won't read this one 8)) but in the end you probably end in Ps, so...

If you can make it with Phocus, you will make it with C1 and vice-versa.

Phocus is perfectly suitable for pros. IMO.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:03:04 pm by fredjeang »

bcooter

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 12:38:29 pm »

The days of having to use a specialized tech for every project that is expert in one form of software or another is much less than it was even 4 or 5 years ago.

Now everyone on a crew is tech savvy and in all honesty it takes just a few minutes to get up to speed on eos utility, bridge, c-1, phocus, lc11, etc. etc.

I've done digital a long time, but the crew that comes through my door can run a mac as intuitively as they drink water.  They've been raised on computers and have zero fear of anything digital.

I don't own a hasselblad, but if I moved in that direction I would think it would take me and my assistants no time  to get up to speed. 

Digital just isn't perceived as the voodoo, hard to understand process it was when it started.  Today one system or another is kind of like changing lenses from a Canon to a Nikon.

It's all basically the same.

IMO

BC

jduncan

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 02:50:08 pm »

Edmund
LOL: That explains global warming  :)
english is not my first language, an I k

Nick-T

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 04:23:02 pm »

And you know it's funny, a bunch of Hasselblad users were just commenting on how few complaints there are in their unified system.
;D
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Nick-T

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 04:23:59 pm »

know, I know... 90% (or more) photography is Mac, but it's changing a bit since windows 7. edit: and I've noticed that it's specially changing faster with the laptops.

David, if you see that post, is Hasselblad planning to implement the third party files on the window's version Phocus in the future?

Yes Windows support for 3rd party files is coming!
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 04:36:13 pm »

The Converter's Tale:

James sayeth Click ! to his assistant and behold!  the data floweth forth and they were glorious.

Edmund

The days of having to use a specialized tech for every project that is expert in one form of software or another is much less than it was even 4 or 5 years ago.

Now everyone on a crew is tech savvy and in all honesty it takes just a few minutes to get up to speed on eos utility, bridge, c-1, phocus, lc11, etc. etc.

I've done digital a long time, but the crew that comes through my door can run a mac as intuitively as they drink water.  They've been raised on computers and have zero fear of anything digital.

I don't own a hasselblad, but if I moved in that direction I would think it would take me and my assistants no time  to get up to speed.  

Digital just isn't perceived as the voodoo, hard to understand process it was when it started.  Today one system or another is kind of like changing lenses from a Canon to a Nikon.

It's all basically the same.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:45:33 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

fredjeang

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 04:41:13 pm »

Yes Windows support for 3rd party files is coming!
Nick, Thanks. That's a good news. (hope it will read the DNG better than the competition)

jeremyrh

Re: ROGAN IS RIGHT
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 11:06:42 am »

Your 100% right with that quote. 

There are exceptions to every rule, but this isn't an industry where one broad stroke sets you for life.

We're not movie actors, or TeeVee stars where one hot gig will work for a lifetime.

If I had a dollar for every assistant that believed buying one type of camera, light, being signed by one repping firm would do it, I could have enough money to buy Greece.  (Actually that might not be the best example).

The images for money business is just like any other small business in the fact forward movement comes to you in small increments. 

Every photographer believes that one more editorial series for their portfolio is going to be the "one", or one more ad in a source book/web site will get them over the top and that's just not how it works, at least for most mortals that aren't connected by birthright or family income

If you come from a working class background, (which 99% of this business is made up of) 99% of the people in this business are just dedicated hard workers that are trying to make it and move forward. 

For every Adriana Llima there are 4,000 young models posing in bras until midnight hoping to be the next Adriana Lima . . . same holds true for the 45,000 photographers that scraped together they money for a 5d2 hoping to be the next Annie or Patrick.

I've also never subscribed to the theory that there are only a few thousand, maybe a few hundred photographers that have success.  Maybe that's true, but that doesn't mean that you can't be one of them.   They did it, so can you, if your prepared for the sacrifice.

In fact that's what mesmerizes me about this industry, so few can have real success.  Who the hell wants a job anyone can do?

Actually I'm proud to know most of the people I've worked with and am always astonished by their ability to work with the intensity and the hours this industry requires.  I'm amazed that they come out of the schools so eager, so willing, but are completely clueless about what it takes to survive or what it takes to make it.   

I'm also amazed that for forward thinking, creative people, so many photographers use the past as the model for success.   They think that the one Rolling Stone gig is the one thing that will set them apart, but today there is not one Rolling Stone there are about 200 online versions all vying for attention.  I'll bet tumbler gets more views in a week than all traditional magazines get in a year combined.

In all honesty, I trust the young, starting out crew I work with and use them as a sounding board all the time.  I ask continually does that look old and if they say "uh kind of" then the print goes in the trash, the website is redone.  This is a business of moving forward.

The thing is they need to trust in themselves as much as I trust in them.    That's the real path to success, having faith in yourself.

I've always had a rule, read the press releases of from any person or company that wants a young photographer to "pay" them or work for nothing and do the exact opposite, or at least take it all with a tiny grain of salt.

For me there was always one simple business model and early in my career what I couldn't make up for in money and resource, I could compensate with sweat equity.

I've always believed you go forward in this industry in the same way you would move a building by yourself.

You get up in the morning, slam your shoulder in the right corner of the building, then hit the left corner then the middle.  At the end of the day it probably doesn't look like you've moved the building an inch, but if you do it right and don't give up, one year later you'll notice you've moved the building down the block.   

You don't do this for a month or a year.

You do it forever.

IMO

JR
Wise words - I think I'm going to print it out so I still have access to it when LuLa is dead and gone.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 01:25:29 pm »

interesting to see a 2010 thread resurrected.
I wondered what became of our student, it seems he is a commercial photographer, and as predicted by some in the thread paying his way with product/interior work:

https://no.linkedin.com/in/sondre-adler-guriby-30982535
http://www.kid.no/

Wonder which software he is using?  :)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up