Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Valley of Fire - Nevada  (Read 3931 times)

didger

Valley of Fire - Nevada
« on: July 24, 2004, 06:08:16 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Every square inch is totally awesome and incredible.  There's no way you can make a wrong choice.  Try to get there early enough so that you can scout out locations for sunrise and sunset shots yourself, rather than hoping someone can steer you to the exact "right" spots.

Now I'm reminded that I wanted to go back and spend at least a week there.  So many places, so little time![/font]

didger

Valley of Fire - Nevada
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 08:26:41 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Oh, I just remembered something.  Try not to look too "professional".  They actually charge professional photographers to shoot there.  Maybe you need to wear a really tacky Hawaiian shirt and baggy shorts so it's clear you're just a harmless tourist.[/font]

LVJCohen

Valley of Fire - Nevada
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 11:24:43 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I live in Las Vegas, have tons of time on hands right now, and a new Minolta A2 to play with. Any suggestions on where to shoot in mid summer? Im dying to play with the new toy![/font]

leonvick

• http://www.plateaulight.com
Valley of Fire - Nevada
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 03:19:56 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I live in Las Vegas, have tons of time on hands right now, and a new Minolta A2 to play with. Any suggestions on where to shoot in mid summer? Im dying to play with the new toy![/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']If you want to avoid 100F+ heat, try Cedar Breaks (10,500'), Bryce NP (7 to 9,000') or the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (8,000'). Of course, there are lots of slightly less spectacular places above 5000' where it will be warm but not sizzling. The best of these locally* are probably the Kolob Finger Canyons and the Kolob Terraces area of Zion NP.

*I live in St. George.[/font]
Leon
Wherever I go, there I am.

jdlevy

Valley of Fire - Nevada
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 05:12:37 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I will be in Las Vegas in mid September for two nights and a day and was planning on spending time (as much as I need) shooting the Valley of Fire state park north of Vegas. I want to catch both sunrise and sunset.

I would appreciate any advice on locations in the park for "sun events" as well as any other locations, trails, etc. that you have found to be interesting.

Thanks much![/font]
David
 My

william

Valley of Fire - Nevada
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 06:25:06 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I was just there in Feb. and loved it.  I didn't do any sunrise/sunset shots, so can't comment on that.  Just a couple of brief thoughts: (a) won't it still be god-awful hot there in Sept.?  Be prepared-- when I was there in Feb., it was probably 80 degrees and there's very little shade int he park.  ( Take some of the side trails.  If you come in the park from the entrance nearest  Vegas (can't remember if it's the north or south entrance, but it's the one that's furthest from Hoover), you'll see some pretty good stuff right on the main trail.  Do some shooting there, but go down about another mile and there's a trail that goes off to the left.  That's where I got my best shots, and it's away from other people.  (Not that there were that many people there when I went anyway -- it was a lot less crowded than Red Rock Canyon Park).  The one of the rock arch in the link below (the last pic) was in that location.  BTW, to get that shot, I had to climb up to and then crouch down on the outcropping -- it's not at ground level.

Also, the road leading to the park (before you actually get into VOF Park) (again, driving from Vegas) has some nice shots as well.  The the color wide angle landscape shot (the third pic) is from this location.  I've also posted 2 other photos from various locations in the park.

Needless to say, I loved shooting there and hope to go back soon.  I only had 2 days there and probably shot 300-500 images.  It was totally quiet and otherwordly and really let me get into a photographic "zen".

Here's the link: http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=416146

(Sorry if they look low-quality or are too large or too small -- I don't have a lot of experience posting images on the web.  But I have a 24x36 of the arch image (shot with a 1Ds) hanging on my wall that looks amazing).[/font]

Hank

Valley of Fire - Nevada
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 10:50:39 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I would also watch where you walk pretty carefully, especially in the cooler parts of the day.  Last trip in, I saw three rattlesnakes (two diamondbacks or near relatives and one sidewinder) in the span of a couple of hours.  I don't worry much about them and neither should you, but then again I am on the lookout.

Don't remember the name of the pass, but one of my favorite images came from the short walk into an area with petroglyphs on large boulders.[/font]

Hank

Valley of Fire - Nevada
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 01:22:39 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I am very fond of the Beaverdam Mountain Wilderness Area between Mesquite and St. George.  Take the offramp for the Cedar Flats (?) rec area part way through the canyon, but rather than continuing right to the camping area,  go left across the overpass and up into the hills.  Gravel road, but passable in a sedan.  Great stuff up and over the pass.  That range extends quite a ways to the north, with other access roads on up that way.  Seldom visited, but dramatic scenery (and lots of snake, too).  Spring wildlfowers are great, as well.[/font]

leonvick

• http://www.plateaulight.com
Valley of Fire - Nevada
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 03:33:08 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I am very fond of the Beaverdam Mountain Wilderness Area between Mesquite and St. George.  Take the offramp for the Cedar Flats (?) rec area part way through the canyon, but rather than continuing right to the camping area,  go left across the overpass and up into the hills...[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']That's the "Cedar Pockets" exit from I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge, FWIW. That area is the lowest in Utah and is hot as Hades this time of the year, though always interesting. If you follow that road to Hwy 91 and take a left at the foot of the larger mountains a few miles to the north, you'll find a large joshua tree forest.[/font]
Leon
Wherever I go, there I am.
Pages: [1]   Go Up