Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Paintress is looking for a medium format brush set  (Read 11630 times)

Graham Mitchell

Re: Paintress is looking for a medium format brush set
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 01:17:20 pm »

Are the photos on your website taken with this camera? The girl with the freckles and the kids?

90% are, including the ones you mentioned.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 02:08:31 pm »

Wait a minute, you beloved Rollei-boys. I thought Hy is a Hasselblad element. Now I'm seeing a Schneider lense anounced as "Rollei 6008 AF Hy6 AF-Variogon etc pp" at 3.794,00 Euro. I'm aware that a good lense deserves this price, if it turns out to become my favorite. But does this Rollei only work with a Sinar back? And only this special one?

Hy? You mean Hy6? It has no relation to Hasselblad. Hy6 is the latest generation of the Rollei 6008AF, and is also known as the Leaf AFi. I didn't recommend it due to the higher price but it's also a contender and more digital friendly. it also has a square viewfinder with the option of merely revolving the digital back to switch between portrait and landscape modes.

tho_mas

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 02:12:53 pm »

But does this Rollei only work with a Sinar back? And only this special one?
I think all the Sinar backs and from Leaf at least the Aptus II 10 and the upcoming Aptus II 12.

@graham: are there any TS options for the Rollei/Hy6?

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 02:41:34 pm »

Rollei offers a 55mm Tilt Shift lens for the 6000 series/ HY6

tho_mas

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 03:00:20 pm »

Rollei offers a 55mm Tilt Shift lens for the 6000 series/ HY6
aha, this one... http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=42497
thanks!

tho_mas

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 03:18:12 pm »

... if it turns out to become my favorite.
now, if you start to consider an SLR system without extensive TS options you should also take a serious look at the Contax.
It's a complete system with very good lenses from wide angle to long tele and with nice accessories like the said waist level finder and a great vertical grip.
You can easily assemble all you need within a few days (if neccessary)... i.e. all the lenses and items are still available on eBay or from dealers for reasonable prices, sometimes you'll find even new pieces (for instance here in Cologne one dealer still offers a new Kit in original boxes... unfortunately still for the original price). The vertical grip and the waist level finder are a bit harder to find but sooner or later you would find them.
Too, all the Phase and Leaf backs are available in Contax mount.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 03:19:50 pm by tho_mas »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 06:21:25 pm »

But does this Rollei only work with a Sinar back? And only this special one?

All the Sinar eMotion backs will fit. (Check that the Rollei adapter plates are in stock before committing to anything). I believe Hasselblad also made an adapter but I don't know if that one rotates.

If you get the Leaf AFi (Hy6) instead, then there are Sinar or Leaf options.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 08:15:50 pm »

Paintress,

I'm sorry to be blunt, but let's cut to the chase.

At the moment there are two MF product lines really in production, Hasselblad and Phase One.

- Hassy has a very integrated shooting product, let us say a super-SLR that can take loupe 90 degree finders.
- Phase One has a less integrated camera/back combo but its software is very polished and many love it and swear it gives superior results.
- AFAIK backs from both bundles can be unmounted and remounted on a view camera, with the right adapter.
- There is also a Pentax just appearing on the market.

The Hasselblad H4D31 is about 10KEuro; it's an old chip, but should  work well to about 200/400 ISO, and is superb at around 50 ISO. I am sure Phase has something similar. From there you can climb up to 60MP on Hassy, and 80MP on Phase, usually by trade-in.

There are also a variety of dead systems (Contax) or zombie systems (Rollei/Hy6, Leaf, Sinar) ghosting around. Many of these are superb, with zillions of Zeiss lenses and working bodies to be had for a song, but if you don't know what you're doing and don't have a friendly dealer or repair shop they may not be a good idea.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Conner999

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 09:37:05 pm »

I don't use one, but as a portrait shooter would the Mamiya/Phase/Leaf RZ33 not be a viable option? Choice of viewfinders, rotating sensor, inexpensive lenses/accessories on used market...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:43:19 pm by Conner999 »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 10:47:50 pm »

Well I'm another Rollei fan so you can add me to the list.  I continue to be thrilled and amazed with it.  The platform has a very extensive list of lenses and accessories.   I see that a lot of the 6000 series stuff can still be bought new from places like B&H so I don't see the problem.  The prices are higher than some other options but I think the quality is there.     
Rolleiflex USA

JV

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 11:11:42 pm »

Finding a digital back for the Rollei 6008 might not be so easy.  I looked into buying a Rollei 6008 recently.  As far as I know and as Graham pointed out the Sinar and Hasselblad backs should fit.  In the US Sinar is distributed exclusively by Bron Imaging Group.  I sent them an email, they asked in which state I lived and then I never heard from them again...  The Hasselblad CF-22 back appears to be discontinued, the CF-39 was no longer in stock at Hasselblad USA when I talked to their representative and recently I heard that there were no plans for a CF-50... 

eronald

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 06:51:34 am »

Edmund, what exactly is a Zombie system? I don't touch electronic parts, but for the rest I'm familiar with the 200 dead system cameras that own me. All Rolleis here (Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, Rollei 35) are robust and still in working condition. I also know where to turn to, if anything goes wrong.

Gotta wake up my kid.

Hy6 is a zombie system - it's not sold officially anymore under its original name(s) by Leaf or Sinar AFAIK, but in fact F&H who made the thing for them have updated the body and can sell you a better one. These are systems where in some ways production in the original factory is still taking place.More importantly, factory repair is also still possible. However the integrated electronic R&D with the backs is not really taking place anymore, I believe. In other words the body has separated from the back and gone on to a life of its own :)

In a way, as James often says about Contax, a dead system is good because you know when you buy a body for use with your back  that it will work - there are no new bugs in the electronic interface.

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:57:24 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 11:21:23 am »

When shooting tethered I think the Leaf backs do not display the last capture on the LCD (but I am not quite sure).
The Phase backs do show the last capture on the LCD even when shooting tetherd.

The newer Leaf Aptus-II series does display the previous capture on both the camera's LCD and on the computer screen while tethered. This is one of the few differences from the older Aptus series.

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 02:15:09 pm »

Hi Paintress -

For whats its worth the point about the Sinar backs being ok for studio only is ridiculous -

I have never even used mine in the studio ...its all location work !  I shoot tethered with a tablet or laptop in the field just like a million other photographers and even if my back had an LCD I would because i prefer it for checking Focus and seeing composition

and as far as the HY6 goes it is one of the most Feature packed MF cameras ever built ! You don't have to like it but it is undeniably a very MODERN camera.   

What is his point with multi shot ? I believe any Multi shot back from any manufacture will also do single shot. (If I am wrong please someone correct me  ;D )

This rep sounds uninformed or strongly bias towards what he can offer you at the moment.

tho_mas

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 02:35:33 pm »

- the microlense issue doesn't matter, because my Linhof is focussing screen = capture. He says it IS an issue with a camera with a rigid body, which makes sense to me.
I don't understand "because my Linhof is focussing screen = capture"...
The angle of light that hits the sensor is the issue with microlenses. The wider the lenses and the closer the rear lens to the sensor the more you are running into issues with movements in conjunction with microlenses. I have now idea in how far this has to do with the particular kind of camera. Maybe your Linhof is limited to relatively long lenses... I don't know... in this case, maybe, it's not an issue.
As you tend towards a Leaf back it won't be an issue anyway...

I've checked the Zörk adapter and feel uncomfortable about the enlarging lens.
as I said in my first post if you are looking for a MF SLR camera with waist level finder and TS options a H with the HTS is probably the best i.e. most flexible choice (BTW: I forgot to mention the H3D39; it features the same sensor as the P45 and it is not mircolensed). The new Schneider 120mm TS lens looks promising... but it's only available in Mamiya Mount and the 645AFD has no waist level finder.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:40:42 pm by tho_mas »

eronald

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2010, 04:11:00 pm »

Edmund, you accompanied me the entire day in my thoughts. Was dust-hunting in my studio and thought about why I would trust a dead or Zombie system more than a Hasselblad. The Hasselblad is in my mind since I've started some 15 years ago. Result: This camera is frightening me.

First, it's so expensive that it would force me even more into the commercial alley to pay off.
Second, I'd be afraid the camera might get hurt. I don't know how others feel, but a tool is a tool and I don't want to spend even a second of thought about if this tool will survive. This fear is not due to the price, imagine you tell someone, you've allowed a Hasselblad to be kicked by a horse. Same fear lead me to never work with Leica.
Third, I bet 50% of my male subjects would recognize the brand and start the Hasselblad dance. Somehow I feel this is not of any help for the purpose of the shooting.

The H4D31 costs around 10K Euro with lens. Won't break the bank. H4D40 (latest model) is about 15K Euro, tax included, with lens. Phase has similar pricing, there is no need to use the 50,60 or 80 MP monsters for portrait, as far as I can see.

As for Leica, frankly the Leica film cameras usually work fine after getting kicked by a horse. If this is your fear, then I wholeheartedly recommend sticking with the pro series Nikons or Canons which can take abuse and just laugh it off.

Edmund

fredjeang

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2010, 04:28:20 pm »

Some times ago in another thread, I asked the experienced back users, specially the outdoors photographers to comment about their use in harsh or extreme conditions and they where all unanimous: those backs handle really hostile conditions.

Edmund, the D3, the 1D solid like rock yes. Now the 5D: does not feel I'd like to take a shower with it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:30:49 pm by fredjeang »

eronald

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2010, 04:55:32 pm »

Some times ago in another thread, I asked the experienced back users, specially the outdoors photographers to comment about their use in harsh or extreme conditions and they where all unanimous: those backs handle really hostile conditions.

Edmund, the D3, the 1D solid like rock yes. Now the 5D: does not feel I'd like to take a shower with it.

Lots of interesting bilingual puns with ... Phocus :)

Edmund

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2010, 05:01:16 pm »

So this is what he told me:
- Sinar backs are fine for studio, but with multiple shot and power supply for studio only.

Fine for studio, and elsewhere too. There is no external battery or external storage device or even ventilation holes (unlike some others). It's very self-contained and suitable for outdoor use (which I do all the time). Just wanted to set that straight!

Tomas Johanson

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »

Can someone tell the Mamiya/Phase people that it took me less than half an hour to find all relevant information about the Contax 645, including a manual?  :o

Two question are still unanswered: the bellows work in macro, no wide-angle lens available to stop to infinity. I usually don't need infinity.

Question 2: how much was the original prize?

I paid SEK 32000:- in april 2000 for a new Contax 645 with Planar 2,0/80. It´s about EUR 3200:-. I still use it, but today with a sinar emotion back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up