Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm a noob, be brutal  (Read 2288 times)

TaDa

I'm a noob, be brutal
« on: October 19, 2010, 09:53:28 pm »

Got to take out the 21mm today.  As I'm pretty new to landscape, I would appreciate any and all comments, the more brutal the better.  I got wrapped up with work until 11AM, so I know that the light is harsh.  I'm going to try and get out for a shoot on a nice early morning.  Just need to escape the 4 and 2 year old chains :)

Ignore the banding in the sky.  It's compression from picasa and not there in the actual images.  Oh, and for the kicker, I have hardly touched these images in post.  The blues and other colors are the lens and CPL doing their thing

On this one, I turned the clarity down to -100 and I kind of like the effect

natas

Re: I'm a noob, be brutal
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 11:10:21 pm »

Get out to the location either early before sunrise or a little before sun down.

The trees in the location you are at are beautiful...so take advantage. Get down to where that river is and try to get a shot with the river and colorful trees. Wide angle shots usually look great if you put something interesting in the foreground so keep that in mind. Good luck, I hope you get some good shots!!

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:54:37 pm »

The image with the dead tree is pretty cool. In the background is this banal image of autumn color, and then there's this black and angular dead tree jutting up over it all.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 04:32:57 am »

Got to take out the 21mm today.  As I'm pretty new to landscape, I would appreciate any and all comments, the more brutal the better.
Do not assume that a wide angle is always the best choice for landscapes - I try to use the longest lens I can, and hate the WA look.

The lake scene looks as it would have been better panned right (the perspective leads the eye out of the picture) but I do not know what was out of shot... and I think it would have been better with a longer lens.

Try to shoot with the lens horizontal (T/S helps).
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

TaDa

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 02:44:34 pm »

That's actually my favorite shot.  The vibrant colors offset by the dead black of the tree.  Thanks for the comment :)

TaDa

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 02:47:58 pm »

Thanks for commenting.  I usually take along all of my lenses, but on that day, I was traveling light with just my Zeiss 21mm.  Some of my favorite landscape shots have come out at focal lengths in the telephoto range, so I do usually mix it up.  One of the best comments that I received in PM was my shots missing a subject.  Whether it be something in the foreground to draw the eye, or something to stand out.  I think that's why I like the dead tree shot and the yellow canopy shot.  There is a subject to the shot with a beautiful backdrop.  The other shots almost seem "snapshot"y
Pages: [1]   Go Up