Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colorado (no HDR)  (Read 1791 times)

natas

Colorado (no HDR)
« on: October 19, 2010, 07:50:15 pm »

Ok guys,

Here is one shot I got in Colorado without using exposure bracketing (like my previous post). This was shot right when the sun hit the top of the mountain. I processed this is Canon DPP using the Landscape color settings. I haven't cropped it or done anything to the image in Photoshop. I think with a little work this will be a pretty good image.

Two things I do hate about the image that were not in my control:
No Clouds
It was really windy so the lake made no reflection. I didn't bring a ND Filter with me

What I think could make this photo better:
Bring a Graduated ND filter to darken the top a little and expose 1/2 to 1 full stop more to bring in the foreground. I think I can pull this off in Photoshop with a little bit of work.

Feel free to comment and give C&C. Personally the picture in my mind is what I wanted, but I always love to hear others opinions with the goal in mind of learning from my mistakes and making my photography better.

Enjoy:

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Colorado (no HDR)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 03:58:22 am »

My first thought is that you should go back to this rather lovely spot at a time when it isn't windy and there's a more interesting sky. The idea is good and reflections in the lake would add a great deal of serenity.

I think your plans for the shot will probably improve it. However, you'll still have a rather dull, off-white and uninteresting band of sky across the top.

Sometimes you just need to give up on a particular shot. I think this is one of them.

Jeremy

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 10:23:02 am »

In the shot above, the light is just too flat to be compelling.  It's fine compositionally, but the sky is blown and there isn't enough contrast.  I just don't know if those issues can be over come in this image without heavy digital manipulation...

Not everyday is epic.  Even when we are in epic places, sometimes things just don't work out.  Those are the times when creativity and experience are at a premium.  I've seen the maroon bells shot about a bazillion times.  Even when they are great they can make me, yawn, I've just seen it too many times.  Yes, I've ticked off my share of classics, and will again I'm sure.  But quite often when we get to these places we are so focused on the iconic shot, that we miss all the other opportunities around us.  When I was in arches a few weeks ago there mush have been 5-10 photographers lined up to shoot turret arch thru the north window.  (It's been done to death people!)  There were plenty of other awesome things to shoot, but they all missed them....

Anyway, I was at Zion NP a few months ago.  I got to the park late enough in the afternoon that on a normal day, there should have been beautiful golden light reflecting off the red canyon walls.  Instead, I got nasty, gray skies and soft, flat light.  Flat light equals low contrast, which generally conveys softness, gentleness and mildness in photographs.  Not the look I was going for on that day.  So, I started thinking.  I could shoot wildflower macros, or moving water or I didn't know.  I ended up shooting some waterfalls in a little know section of the park.  Not the classic zion shots I was hoping for, but I really liked what I got. I found that spot simply by talking to the rangers/bus drivers.  Thousands of people pass with 100 yards of it every day and almost none of them know it exists.  

So be prepared (at a minimum, I ALWAYS carry a sent of ND grads and a polarizer).  Have a plan, know what you want to shoot and know the best times of day to be there (and BE there then!), but be willing to shoot what you are given.  Even with guide books, and research before hand, don't be afraid to ask for local knowledge.  Sometimes, you might just be pleasantly surprised by the results.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:30:29 am by Lonnie Utah »

natas

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:33:00 am »

Totally agree with you. I did take some other shots while shooting this that turned out pretty good. If I get some time I will post them up later tonight.

I live in Texas and was only in the area for one day so this was my one chance. Maybe one day I will get another chance to do this over, hopefully I will have some clouds to work with and no wind. For me this is good enough and I am just happy to see this in person. Watching the light hit that mountain was really a fun experience.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:57:48 am »

Totally agree with you. I did take some other shots while shooting this that turned out pretty good. If I get some time I will post them up later tonight.

I live in Texas and was only in the area for one day so this was my one chance. Maybe one day I will get another chance to do this over, hopefully I will have some clouds to work with and no wind. For me this is good enough and I am just happy to see this in person. Watching the light hit that mountain was really a fun experience.
If the photographs you took remind you of the experience, so that you smile in recollection when you look at them, they have amply repaid the time you spent taking them. We can't take masterpieces every time (I look forward to my first).

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up