Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NYC suggestions  (Read 7227 times)

Khurram

NYC suggestions
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:39:52 pm »

I've had to goto Toronto a lot for work lately and will have to spend another 1 1/2 there (getting kind of tired of the GTA).  I've never been to NYC, and a couple guys at work suggested I make a weekend trip to the big apple.

Would it be worth it to make a trip down, even if I'd only have 1 1/2 days?  I'm usually not much for a rushed trip, but wouldn't mind going there, rather then spend another weekend in the GTA.

What would be a itenanary that would work given the time I have and what are the must see's.  I was thinking of the Brooklyn Bridge and somewhere I could get some good skyscapes.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also wanted to know if I should be aware of any restrictions on photography that I need to be aware of.  As I know when I was in the UK, i was questioned by police and security on numerous occasions because of my tripod.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
Re: NYC suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 12:15:55 pm »

I was there recently, I highly recommend visiting Top of the Rock atleast 30 minutes before sunset for a fantastic view of the city skyline.  It's much less crowded than the Empire State Building, you can buy your ticket online for a time slot, no hassles with lines.  The view of the Statue of Liberty is nice if you take the free Staten Island ferry, I wasn't too interested in doing the tour of the Statue itself.

NYC is a touristy city, I don't think you'll have any issues with photography restrictions. 

My favorite photo of the trip http://picasaweb.google.com/alvinychan/NewYorkCityNY#5519215389786187106

Khurram

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 12:39:57 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions!  Digging the skyline shot!
Are you allowed to take a tripod to the Empire State Building or The Rock?
----

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 10:47:55 am »

I don't think tripods are allowed, but I did see a couple people using them on The Rock and they weren't hassled by security.  I set my camera on the concrete and metal railings for longer exposures which worked out fine.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 12:45:48 pm »

Eastern end of Brooklyn Bridge is indeed a good place for cityscapes. There's a viewing platform/pier south of the bridge on Brooklyn side where there's plenty of room for tripod. You can see the exact location on the main page of my site in my signature by zooming into Manhattan on the map. I've also seen good shots taken from Empire Fulton Ferry State Park just north of Brooklyn Bridge.

Alternatively you can go to Hoboken or Union City in Jersey (west of Manhattan) by ferry. There's a stunning panoramic view from Hamilton Park from a hillside down to Manhattan - don't have the picture up on my site, yet. Also plenty of room for tripod, and a lesser-frequented site than Brooklyn Bridge. Take a ferry to Port Imperial/Weehawken, and climb up stairs on the steep hill, take a right on top.

Police presence is actually desirable in many parts around New York for your safety. Hamilton Park (and the viewing platform in Brooklyn Heights) were patrolled by police at and right after sunset when I visited, so you should be safe.

Similarly great views from the harbor itself in Weehawken which has a small waterfront park by the parking lot: you can get within a few meters from the waterline. Not much police presence there, though. I'm not sure if that area has high crime rate; I saw lone female joggers well after dark so I assume no.

Many more opportunities in the city, it's one of the most picturesque cities there is. I think it's better to avoid setting up a tripod on busy sidewalks as I'm sure you'll get hassled over that - not only by police :) If you only have 1.5 days, I'd recommend doing online scouting on Flickr or Panoramio to see what other places you'd like to capture.

Manhattan Nighttime Skyline from Brooklyn Heights (zoomable alternate view under Panoramas).

JohnTodd

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 02:38:47 pm »

Khurram,

I was in NYC (from the GTA, funnily enough!) a couple of weeks ago, and there are indeed restrictions on using tripods at Top of the Rock and the Empire State Building. However, I got good results with a humble Canon S90 P&S and a tiny foldable tripod at Top of the Rock:

One suggestion is Coney Island - it's about an hour on the subway from downtown Manhattan, but a goldmine for photography, particularly with the current end-of-season feel:

I had no problem using a tripod in Central Park, even shooting some lengthy time-lapse sequences (although I was being discreet).

GarethC

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:05:15 pm »

Hey Khurram, how are you. I was there in May and will be back in a couple of weeks. First off, as for accommodation, if you're on a budget stay in Secausus NJ (if you need the name of the hotel drop me a note and I can dig it out), it's 30 minutes from midtown and you don't get a shoebox for a room. Personally, I'd keep the camera at street level. I meant to go to the eastern end of Brooklyn Bridge because that is the quintessential NYC shot but never made it, maybe in 2-3 weeks??? Times Square is a no brainer, learn how to stitch in PS and shoot a panorama :) Frankly, the characters on the street are it for me. I took a whack of skyline shots and my favourites so far are the people shots. I'd love to show you but I still haven't processed them. If you're there on a weekend Central Park is a good place too. Ground Zero is a building site, not even poignant right now. Chinatown is right next to Little Italy and both offer opportunities. Hope that helps.

Khurram

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 12:28:01 am »

Eastern end of Brooklyn Bridge is indeed a good place for cityscapes. There's a viewing platform/pier south of the bridge on Brooklyn side where there's plenty of room for tripod. You can see the exact location on the main page of my site in my signature by zooming into Manhattan on the map. I've also seen good shots taken from Empire Fulton Ferry State Park just north of Brooklyn Bridge.

Alternatively you can go to Hoboken or Union City in Jersey (west of Manhattan) by ferry. There's a stunning panoramic view from Hamilton Park from a hillside down to Manhattan - don't have the picture up on my site, yet. Also plenty of room for tripod, and a lesser-frequented site than Brooklyn Bridge. Take a ferry to Port Imperial/Weehawken, and climb up stairs on the steep hill, take a right on top.

Police presence is actually desirable in many parts around New York for your safety. Hamilton Park (and the viewing platform in Brooklyn Heights) were patrolled by police at and right after sunset when I visited, so you should be safe.

Similarly great views from the harbor itself in Weehawken which has a small waterfront park by the parking lot: you can get within a few meters from the waterline. Not much police presence there, though. I'm not sure if that area has high crime rate; I saw lone female joggers well after dark so I assume no.

Many more opportunities in the city, it's one of the most picturesque cities there is. I think it's better to avoid setting up a tripod on busy sidewalks as I'm sure you'll get hassled over that - not only by police :) If you only have 1.5 days, I'd recommend doing online scouting on Flickr or Panoramio to see what other places you'd like to capture.

Manhattan Nighttime Skyline from Brooklyn Heights (zoomable alternate view under Panoramas).

I appreciate the suggestions.  I wasn't able to make the trip last month as planned. But plan on heading to NYC this Friday as I have to make another trip to Toronto for work.    My timeline will be the same - have about 1 1/2 days in NYC.

Nice shots and also liked the shots on your website.  Is the Eastern Side of Brooklyn Bridge where you took the "Brooklyn Bridge !" shot?  Love the warm light - Is that taken early morning or sunset?  Are the light for the twin beams always on, or was that only for the memorial?

Given the amount of time I have, and where I was staying I was thinking of trying to do the following:
-going to either the Empire State Building or Top of the rock for sunset (will probably only have one sunset), brooklynn bridge for one of the sunrises - haven't decided on the other
-take evening shots from your Brooklyn heights suggestions or from NJ on the two nights I'll have there.  
- Also would like to hit Times square at night as well.

Any other suggestions for can't miss locations?  Did you take the subway to commute, or drive?  Is parking still a problem at night or sunrise times?

Equipment wise what would you suggest I take?  I don't want to take my big Gura Gear backpack, which holds my 1DIV, 5DII/grip, 24L TSE, 24L, 85L, 70-200 2.8LIS, 24-105L and teleconverter + plus my RR pano kit.

I was thinking of taking a smaller bag (Tamrac Evolution 8) which that will allow me to take a 5DII/16-35L and a 1DIV with either a 70-200 f2.8LIS or a 24-105L mounted and the other lens unattached, a couple of polarizers plus one flash.  Do you think that this would be a good setup to take, or will I miss the 24TSE (i.e. for stitching Panos) or the 85L (street shots)?  I would like to shoot some panoramics, but am not sure if it makes sense to carry around my RR pano kit, or if most of the Pano oppertunities are well suited to using the 24TSE focal length.  I could always bring the other lenses along and carry them in my computer bag, but would like to keep things to a mimimal, as I'm expecting to have to do a lot of walking or commute on the subway.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:46:46 am by Khurram »
----

Khurram

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 12:30:04 am »

Khurram,

I was in NYC (from the GTA, funnily enough!) a couple of weeks ago, and there are indeed restrictions on using tripods at Top of the Rock and the Empire State Building. However, I got good results with a humble Canon S90 P&S and a tiny foldable tripod at Top of the Rock:

One suggestion is Coney Island - it's about an hour on the subway from downtown Manhattan, but a goldmine for photography, particularly with the current end-of-season feel:

Thanks for the confirmation about the tripod restrictions for the Top of the Rock and Empire State buildings.

I had no problem using a tripod in Central Park, even shooting some lengthy time-lapse sequences (although I was being discreet).

----

Khurram

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 12:31:50 am »

I was there recently, I highly recommend visiting Top of the Rock atleast 30 minutes before sunset for a fantastic view of the city skyline.  It's much less crowded than the Empire State Building, you can buy your ticket online for a time slot, no hassles with lines.  The view of the Statue of Liberty is nice if you take the free Staten Island ferry, I wasn't too interested in doing the tour of the Statue itself.

NYC is a touristy city, I don't think you'll have any issues with photography restrictions. 

My favorite photo of the trip http://picasaweb.google.com/alvinychan/NewYorkCityNY#5519215389786187106

If you only had one sunset, would you spend it at Top of the rock or Empire State Building?  What would be the other good times to go to either of these locations?
----

Khurram

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 12:36:18 am »

Hey Khurram, how are you. I was there in May and will be back in a couple of weeks. First off, as for accommodation, if you're on a budget stay in Secausus NJ (if you need the name of the hotel drop me a note and I can dig it out), it's 30 minutes from midtown and you don't get a shoebox for a room. Personally, I'd keep the camera at street level. I meant to go to the eastern end of Brooklyn Bridge because that is the quintessential NYC shot but never made it, maybe in 2-3 weeks??? Times Square is a no brainer, learn how to stitch in PS and shoot a panorama :) Frankly, the characters on the street are it for me. I took a whack of skyline shots and my favourites so far are the people shots. I'd love to show you but I still haven't processed them. If you're there on a weekend Central Park is a good place too. Ground Zero is a building site, not even poignant right now. Chinatown is right next to Little Italy and both offer opportunities. Hope that helps.

Hi Gareth,
I actually wasn't able to go last month as planned, but am looking to get there on the night of Black Friday.  I am a little worried that the drive will take longer since it is supposed to be the busiest shopping day of the year.  I was also thinking of staying in the Secausus NJ area.  Do you know if it is a pretty fast commute from Secausus NJ to Top of the rock, Empire State Building, Brooklynn Bridge by subway?  I've been told that driving is a bad idea due to the traffic congestion and parking costs.

I heard Liberty Harbour in NJ is a good spot for Manhatten skyline photos.  Is that near Hoboken?  Is parking still an issue there, as I have heard it is in NYC?

For a pano of Times square, would you recommend trying to take along the 24TSE lens?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:53:57 am by Khurram »
----

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:18:32 pm »

I didn't visit Empire State building, I heard the lines are too long.  I was very happy with my sunset shot from Top of the Rock.  I didn't have time to take advantage of it but they also sell a sunrise/sunset ticket that lets you visit twice for a discounted rate.

Khurram

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 02:33:11 pm »

I didn't visit Empire State building, I heard the lines are too long.  I was very happy with my sunset shot from Top of the Rock.  I didn't have time to take advantage of it but they also sell a sunrise/sunset ticket that lets you visit twice for a discounted rate.
Thanks for the info - I didn't even know sunrise was an option!

Do you have to shoot through glass, or is it possible to shoot unobstructed?

What was your technique for making do without a tripod?
----

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 01:00:27 pm »

From the top, you have an unobstructed view.  There's actually 3? levels you can shoot from, the lower ones have glass walls but with space to stick your lens out from.
I rested my camera on the ledge (with hand firmly around strap!) for longer exposures.
Pages: [1]   Go Up