Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Studio  (Read 7677 times)

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
Building Studio
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:50:18 am »

Hello all , i have recently given up my commercial studio which i used to rent.
I have a cottage at home which is 8m X 5.5 wide and with a few walls knocked down the roof raised
to about 4m tall could be quite usable ,especially with my studio work generally being of the smaller
sort.

I seem to remember a post or two showing images of Luminous Landscape members studios , does
anybody remember the link , i tried searching and did not find it.

I would like to have a natural light aspect to the studio as well as strobe so would like to see any
photos of studios where your natural light setup is effective ,my natural light option is only facing the sun
so will have to diffuse this at times.

Thanks if anybody has anything at hand that they would like to share ,if not do not go out of your way
too much.

Cheers
Terence
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

Rob C

Re: Building Studio
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:03:34 am »

Hello all , i have recently given up my commercial studio which i used to rent.
I have a cottage at home which is 8m X 5.5 wide and with a few walls knocked down the roof raised
to about 4m tall could be quite usable ,especially with my studio work generally being of the smaller
sort.

I seem to remember a post or two showing images of Luminous Landscape members studios , does
anybody remember the link , i tried searching and did not find it.

I would like to have a natural light aspect to the studio as well as strobe so would like to see any
photos of studios where your natural light setup is effective ,my natural light option is only facing the sun
so will have to diffuse this at times.

Thanks if anybody has anything at hand that they would like to share ,if not do not go out of your way
too much.

Cheers
Terence

Terence

Is knocking the hell out of one building the most cost-effective way? If you have a house, rather than an apartment, have you considered building alongside it? That was my solution after I gave up my first studio; it also raised the value of the original house when it came time to move on.

Rob C

Terence h

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:22:28 am »

Rob hello thanks for the reply , its not my main residence but a cottage on my property and it needs the roof done anyway ,and also it
is not in the best shape other than the roof so an ideal time to do it.
We have reached the building limit so no extra buildings can be added.

Regards
Terence

Terence h

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 02:11:59 pm »

Terence, do you plan to rent this one or will it be for personal use only? Then the questions-answer would differ.

If it's for you, only matters the studio itself, but if you plan to make business with it, some questions emerge apart from the studio equipment itself. I have a friend who is doing the experiment in the country and that's what we found:
-Is the place located in a beautifull attractive area?
-Do you have accomodations? or is there accomodations very close?
-How is the access, car train airport? Is it closed to a big city or not?
-Can you exhibit also?
-Will you do a website to promote?
-How is the external studio facility: bar, kitchen, shower or bath?
-How many people could work? what about the computers installation? How high is the roof?
-Can you do an external fixed studio with wooden walls? How is the light? weather conditions?
-How special is the all project?
-Can you rely on locals to do work construction to good price?
-Do you have DIY habilities (I don't ;D)
etc...all those parameters will have influence IMO.

Fred hello thanks for replying , yes it for me to shoot commercially , i will not be renting it out.
Yes it is in a attractive area near my pool , my last studio was in a semi industrial area and was in
a horrible setting.
One of the bigger cities in South Africa. , Durban.
It does not have to be a dream studio because i only shoot in a studio a few times a month.
Nope i will get somebody to do the alterations for me , it might fall down if i did it.
I have my site already , i just need to update it with my newer work.
http://www.terencehogben.co.za
The studio would be for shooting only , i have the kitchen and all other facilities in my house so
will not need to waste any of my 5.5 metre by 8 metre space.

The business side i do not need any help , was just looking at a few tips on construction regarding
the natural light aspect , my natural light side faces North in the Southern Hemisphere so faces
the sun ,i have done quite a few food shoots with exactly that natural light inclination and has worked
out very well.
I will probably put in sliding doors , although have found bounced light of the pool or grass can have
serious colour cast issues.
Have seen a image of a natural light food studio that was on a higher floor with normal windows that worked
well.
Possibly have a look at light coming through the roof ,as well.

Regards
Terence
Terence

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:45:21 pm »

Terence,

I don't know if you got your website for a long time, but actually I knew your documentary pictures that caught my attention some time ago, it wasn't in Lu-La. I remember perfectly the "plongé" view (can't remember the exact term in english), I'm refering to the top angle you choose a lot.

It's great to build a project like that. About different soil reflections, well yes it does definatly affect on harsh light. I personally prefer hot lights to strobes so I'm not the best person to set a traditional photo studio, in fact I'm the worst because in my hands it would easily become a mini hollywood plateau with rails, crane etc...

Wish you good luck and inspiration there.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:16:20 am by fredjeang »

Terence h

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 12:03:45 am »

Fred what i would really like is a set of Dedolites ,but a bit costly for me at present.

Regards
T

Camdavidson

• http://www.camerondavidson.com
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:51:42 pm »

Jon Roemer (a friend of mine) is building a new studio.  Time lapse video of the building being constructed is kind of fun to watch.

http://www.jonroemer.com/blog/2010/10/new-studio-part-iii/

Terence h

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 06:25:45 am »

Interesting to see that studio going up ,luckily for me most of my work is done just a few alterations for me.
I can imagine that it would still cost a fair bit to erect that type of studio.

Regards
Terence

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 09:37:22 am »

It's all relative.  Building costs are about 30% less than quotes I got for true pre-fab structures and this studio will be a much hardier structure.  Cost per sq. ft. is not all that different from the same for raising the roof on a similar sized structure.  Much depends upon where you live, local building codes, etc.

Terence h

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 02:07:29 pm »

Jon i live in South Africa so my guess is everything is different here.

Regards
Terence
http://www.terencehogben.co.za

JonRoemer

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 03:26:44 pm »

Yep, I saw your quote above, w/details, after I wrote my reply.

Your seasons are backwards, your light is backwards, those vuvuzelas are constantly blowing...  ;)

fredjeang

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 06:31:55 pm »

I saw the videos (well filmed). My god! Do you think this construction will survive a strong breeze?

By the way Jon, great arquitecture works. I'm refering to your website.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:06:05 am by fredjeang »

JonRoemer

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 07:22:02 pm »

Fred - thank you.

And yes... it will survive a strong breeze.  No matter how much hot air blows over from the LL forum it will still be standing.  ;D

FWIW, this type of construction is stronger, more stable, and more energy efficient than typical frame construction

fredjeang

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 07:34:08 pm »

I was kiding. They had such a construction in fine arts. One day I was driving with my car entering the school and distracted I crashed the car in such building (low speed) while there where students having a class inside...ha ha...can't forget the general panic. Well the construction had a little whole but it was nothing and I was very surprised.

Interesting link. Thanks for sharing.

JonRoemer

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 09:18:55 pm »

I know you were kidding.  No problem.

I added the link just to put the info out there.  It's a cool building process so the more it gets out there the better.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 10:08:47 pm »

You can have a studio in a matter of minutes. Check it out here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/the_inflatable_photo_studio_is_unique_if_nothing_else.html

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Terence h

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 12:18:52 am »

Yep, I saw your quote above, w/details, after I wrote my reply.

Your seasons are backwards, your light is backwards, those vuvuzelas are constantly blowing...  ;)

We are heading into summer and our summers are like some peoples winters :-) the vuvuzelas have faded
into the African sunset , thank goodness , still get them blown a little after a big soccer match , our
house is on the route to the Durban World Cup soccer stadium , all is left to do is pay off the big white
elephant.
In fact people thinking of hosting the World Cup should realize there is only one winner and it is the FIFA
coffers.

Regards
Terence
Durban , South Africa
Pages: [1]   Go Up