Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Best Way to Clean LCD screens on D-SLRs?  (Read 4503 times)

Paul Williamson

• http://www.mustbeart.com
What is Best Way to Clean LCD screens on D-SLRs?
« on: May 13, 2003, 02:00:40 am »

Shirt-tail works fine for me.

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 01:29:45 pm »

Thom here has a good article on this:
http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

Marshal

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 02:26:04 am »

I should add that I just went ahead and used some of that ROR spray that I usually use on lenses and eyeglasses with a clean microfiber cloth. I think it helped even though there are a couple stubborn specks I think I'll leave alone.

Paul Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 03:16:58 pm »

The LCD on the back can be cleaned with just about any brand of optical cleaner.  I use the Kalt brand, but I believe its really only Alcohol.  

You also need to determine if you are cleaning the actual LCD surface or a plastic cover.  On most of the LCD's I have used, Kodak 660, 560, Canon 1ds, all have a plastic cover over the LCD.  So this surface is not glass and thus can create a bigger issue, scratching as all plastic will.  Make sure your cleaning device is free of all dirt and I will usually either blow off the surface or brush it with a small brush first.  

The reason I don't want to scratch the plastic is that you can basically never get it out and it will effect the view of the image.  I have also found that the best cleaning material is a piece of chamios leather that I found in a camera store.  Very soft.

If your camera is a D1x or D1, there not only a plastic  cover but a anti-reflective coating.  This adds yet another issue has if you aren't careful you will remove the anti-reflective coating.  I did this on my first D1 and had to have the entire LCD and cover replaced as you really couldn't view the image due to all the streaks.

The last thing to consider is a simple cover material.  I use a clear thin plastic strip, meant to cover a Palm display.  I cut it down to size then just lay it on top of the plastic cover.  ARound once a month I have to replace it, but this keeps all the scratches and such off.  It also allows you to pretty much wipe the surface with anything.

I noticed now that the Hoodmanusa company sells these also, but they are precut to the various camera LCD's.  www.hoodmanusa.com

Paul

Marshal

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 01:19:36 am »

What do any of you recommend as the best way to clean the LCD screen on the back of D-SLRs, like the Nikon D1 series, etc?

Michael won't be answering this since he's away on a trip, so for anyone else who knows, help me out please.

Ken Dunham

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 04:17:50 am »

What do any of you recommend as the best way to clean the LCD screen on the back of D-SLRs, like the Nikon D1 series, etc?
A standard caveat that applies to any precision optical surface is to avoid using paper towels, kleenex, or other paper-based cleaning material. The "wood" fibers in these can scratch the coating. Best always to use cleaning cloths specifically formulated for such things, or if in a pinch, soft natural fiber cloths (eg cotton towel).

LCD screens often include a (transparent) anti-glare coating to improve contrast in bright (eg sunlight) situations. This can be damaged through improper use or cleaning (for example, don't apply suction cups directly to an LCD screen).

Since LCD screens often pick up oils from fingerprints and noses, you may want to occasionally use an appropriate cleaning fluid to remove these.

Marshal

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 02:23:05 am »

I know that already, but this time I'm talking about the LCD, not CCD.

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 02:03:20 pm »

> I know that already, but this time I'm talking about the LCD, not CCD.

DoH! Whoops.

LCD cleaning? I go with the ShirtTail? method mentioned above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up