Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camper trip through West-Canada  (Read 3922 times)

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Camper trip through West-Canada
« on: July 15, 2004, 09:11:14 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']When I was in the Canadian Rockies (Banff & Jasper) a year or two ago, there was a great book in many of the visitor centers there called "Walks and Easy Hikes in the Canadian Rockies" by Graeme Pole.  It has photos from most of the hikes so you can look for the ones that are most appealing to you, and also includes the best time of day for photographic lighting for each hike (which is incredibly useful).

One of my trips there was in September, and, while my memory of the weather conditions is somewhat hazy at this point, I think it was pleasantly warm and sunny during the day but a bit chilly at night in the mountains.  Less rain than earlier in the summer, too, I think, so it's a great time.  You might try www.weather.com for info on the typical temperatures there for that time of year.

Of all the places in the Rockies, the most beautiful to me was Moraine Lake (down a short side road from the main road to Lake Louise).  Don't miss it.  Fantastic (but not cheap) restaurant there, too.

If you'd like to peruse some of my photos of the Canadian Rockies to look for appealing places (the ones with ice on the lakes were taken in very early June, not September), you can find them at:
http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/Canada.html

Lisa[/font]
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

sparty

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 04:26:24 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I’ve lived in the Seattle area all my life.  September is an excellent time to visit Seattle and Mt Rainier.  Fewer tourist and the weather is transitioning  from the hot, dry season of August to the constant overcast beginning in October.  Early September expect clear days with an occasional cloudy stretch of 2 to 3 days.  Temperatures between 16 and 24c, with early morning fog near the water.  I’d recommend doing Seattle and Mt Rainier first, then head north and east.  By late September or early October, you may never see Mt Rainier due to weather.  However, it pays to watch the weather fronts in the North Pacific and plan accordingly.[/font]

RockyMountainMommy

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 04:21:31 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I lived in Calgary all my life until moving to the mountains two years ago. I now live in the Crowsnest Pass (very south-western Alberta). If you want to avoid the Trans-Canada, try Highway 3, the Crowsnest highway. The Pass is unbelievable, and offers unlimited opportunities for everything from awesome mountains, Big Horn Sheep to old mine ruins, historic buildings and the famous Frank Slide and Burmis Tree.

Highway 3 goes from beyond Cranbrook BC, to Fernie, through the Pass, to Lethbridge, to Medicine Hat, etc. Calgary is 2 1/2 hours from the Pass. Waterton is about 45 minutes south of us, and Glacier is right across the US border from Waterton. We are on the southern edge of the Kananaskis. About 45 minutes east of the Pass on Highway 3, you will find badland-like terrain, similar to what you'll see in Dinosaur Provincial Park.

If you're coming north from Waterton, take the highway to Pincher Creek, then head west on Highway 3 for twenty-five minutes to the Pass. Make sure you drive far enough west (past Coleman) to see the amazing Crowsnest Mountain and Seven Sisters. From there, it's a short trip back east to Highway 22 which takes you to Bragg Creek, then either east to Calgary, or north and west to the Banff/Lake Louise area.

The detour to the Pass would be more than worth the little bit of time it would take.

About the weather, yes it *can* get cold, but for the last four days, we've had temps in the mid-high 30's (celcius). Very hot. So take lighter clothes as well.

For photo stores, in Calgary, go to Robinson's Camera on 9th Avenue SE, or South Centre Mall (south end), Saneal Cameras, second floor.[/font]

Khurram

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 01:18:38 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']aside from the locations mentioned, i'd add Jasper in (about 5hrs from Caglary).
less croweded then Banff, and i think Maligne lake is the best photo op in jasper or banff (I'd put it ahead of both Morraine lake and lake louise).

as for camera shops, by far the best would be The Camera Store - by far the best prices, selection and service in town.
http://www.thecamerastore.com/Pages/indexII.html[/font]
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

henk

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 04:41:17 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hello all. I am travelling with my wife from Sep.1 till October  4 with a camper through West-Canada. We are with a group off several campers but there will be plenty off free time, specially in the National parks, to break out and take some picks
We arrive from Amsterdam to Vancouver, from there we visit the following cities and or National parks.
Vancouver - Seattle - Mount Rainier - Glacier NP - Waterton - Calgary - Lake Louise - Jasper NP - Whistler ( I have read the comments from Peter McLennon) - Clearwater - Wells Gray park - Cache creek - Hope - and back to Vancouver.

Plese could you help me with the following questions:
1- What are at these locations the hotspots to photograph? My interest is in nature and landscape photography.
2- What will be the expected whether during September so I can prepare what to take on clothing?
3- is there a good assorted camera shop in Vancouver or Calgary?
4- any good advise is welcome.

I know it is quite a trip in a short time and hopefully with your help we are able to see a lot of this beautiful country.

Henk[/font]

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 10:21:34 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I grew up in Calgary and go back every year for a visit.  My clothing advice it to layer.  Calgary (let alone the mountains) has had snow every month of the year (not all in the same year thank goodness) The weather will be impossible to predict until about a week prior to you trip.  Check Yahoo weather before you leave.  You could get ranges of below 0 to plus high 20's C depending on where you are.

some sample from my last years trip:

http://www.timgrayphotography.com/gallerie...a2003/index.htm

The Kananaskis area just east of the park is beautiful and not as developed as the park.  Dinosaur Provincial park is a couple of hour drive east of Calgary and is very different terrain - a couple of shots are in the link above.

Vistek has a store in Calgary, their store here in Toronto is highly regarded.[/font]

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 10:56:22 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Avoid large roads, especially freeways.  From the coast to the Rockies, take 3 or 99 if in BC, 20  or 2 if in Washington State.

If you cross BC from Whistler to the Rockies, follow my earlier post's route from Whistler then, continue east via Merritt, Princeton, Osoyoos, Rock Creek, Vernon, Nakusp, New Denver, Kaslo, Creston, Cranbrook, Banff. If that's too convoluted, (it is but it's very rewarding) continue east from Osoyoos via Grand Forks, Castlegar, Cranbrook.

Avoid the Trans Canada Highway heading either direction across  BC.

Wells Gray Park appears to be the odd man out here, a long way off the route to the other locations.  Might not be worth it.

Waterton National Park is well worth it.  Southwestern Alberta is heartbreakingly beautiful, especially in autumn.[/font]

henk

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 05:00:05 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\'] I would like to thank every one for the advise on locations and routes to take. I have printed it all and will be part off my preparation for this trip. I hope that by October my web-site will be ready  so I can publish all the fantastic pics taken off a beautiful country

Henk[/font]

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 12:07:54 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']camera store in Vancouver would be Lens and Shutter on west Broadway. If buying anything major do it in Calgary, no provincial sales tax there!
Wells Gray Park is lovely and you should get good colour at that time of year, but it is a long drive in from Clearwater. Helmeken falls is quite spectacular, as are the lakes further in.
the drive from Whistler to Lilloet (sp?) is spectacular, drive carefully tho and check road conditions in advance.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up