Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 set up guidance  (Read 5875 times)

Bluebottle

Epson 7900 set up guidance
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:02:52 am »

I have just bought myself a new 7900 printer ( because it was an excellent price with the bonus bits), Being a newbie to wide format printing, find myself in a situation that I'm not sure what the best way to setup the printer. I have unpacked it  and its just sitting there on its stand - dry .

Is there a proceedure in which the printer should be installed, calibrated etc??    All my experience is with A3 printers and it seem a shame be unable to get things right and go throught trial and error proceedures making things work.

Is there some instructions that I can follow? All help appreciated.

thanks rob

Gene Coggins

Re: Epson 7900 set up guidance
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:43:16 am »

Your 7900 should have come with a manual. If not, it can be downloaded from Epson's Web site.
In the manual you will find step by step instructions on how to set up your printer.
Gene

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:09:51 pm »

You should also speak with the dealer from which you purchased the printer.  They should be able to assist.
Phil Brown

Bluebottle

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:51:01 pm »

The dealer wanted an extra $700 to do the job. As far as I'm concerned thats better spent on comsumables.

I'm over budget now.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 05:46:13 am »

My first suggestion is to fill out your complete profile. You may live close to someone that may offer to show you the ropes. (me)

Randy Carone

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:05:02 am »

Is the $700 for on-site set up or help over the phone? First, the Users Manual should answer any questions you have about set up and second, I can't think of any questions about set up that aren't easily handled with a quick phone call to the selling dealer. Specifically, what kind of issues are you having getting the printer up and running?
Randy Carone

Bluebottle

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:42:06 am »

I'm a further away than that - Australia. I do have someone who has a 7600 but he knows very little and had someone set it up and profile it with Epson inks and paper only.

thanks anyway

Bluebottle

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 07:58:08 am »

That was a $700 onsite fee on top of the printer costs. Which I balked at. Actual extras were $1000 to deliver and install this included a profiling fee of $700.

The printer is dry, just been unpacked and assembled. I think that an assumption was made it ws something like an A3 printer to setup. I'm lost in the controls and have not fully waded through the instruction book. Asking for some assistance through a friend has not been very helpful at all - he just loads paper and replaces inks then prints on his 7600 - has no understanding at all.. even kept his old PC so he didn't have to change any settings.

Looks like Ill have to keep looking and following the instructions in the manual.

rob

gromit

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:25:45 am »

That was a $700 onsite fee on top of the printer costs. Which I balked at. Actual extras were $1000 to deliver and install this included a profiling fee of $700.

The printer is dry, just been unpacked and assembled. I think that an assumption was made it ws something like an A3 printer to setup. I'm lost in the controls and have not fully waded through the instruction book. Asking for some assistance through a friend has not been very helpful at all - he just loads paper and replaces inks then prints on his 7600 - has no understanding at all.. even kept his old PC so he didn't have to change any settings.

Looks like Ill have to keep looking and following the instructions in the manual.

rob

Just follow the instructions here (lots of pictures):

http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/RedirectLink.asp?ProductID=styluspro7900&Email=&DownloadID=5919

While $700 may sound like a lot, you'll be spending a lot more when you're up for inks in a few weeks time. If you're still lost, you may want to reconsider the onsite fee, especially if they're going to profile your media and provide ongoing assistance.

Farmer

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 05:26:45 pm »

Which dealer in Australia did you purchase it from?

You can also call Epson on 1300 361 054 for free (well, cost of a local call).  You'll go through to the tech call centre, but then you can ask for escalation to an LFP engineer and they'll get someone to call you back to help (usually within 24 hours).  There's no charge for that support from Epson.
Phil Brown

Bluebottle

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 07:21:57 pm »

That's a good suggestion - Going to Epson - they have been quite reasonable previously helping - at least we don't talk to India.

What I was told by the dealer its not too bad setting it up - you should be capable to do it yourself.

I am waiting to get more ink as I don't think the shipped cartridges will have much left after you fill the tubes.

Where do you buy your inks - anyone have better prices on genuine inks?   

rob

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 11:48:34 am »

Bluebottle, as they say, "It's not rocket science!"  I found the initial setup and operation to be extremely simple, just follow the manual.  And you will be surprised how much you can print on the initial carts.  What gets confusing is setting up profiles and how to use them.  You can learn a lot from reading other threads.  Good luck, it is a wonderful printer.

Bluebottle

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 02:03:43 pm »

Its what I have been reading in other profiling threads that's thrown me, but I suppose that once its right  then I becomes straight forward.

I'm now in the process of making up a new PC to run the printer and should have it all loaded during next week to make a stsrt.

rob

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 06:53:21 pm »

I just set up my 9900. Took about an hour, taking it real easy.

Bluebottle

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 07:48:45 pm »

I'm getting more confidence to tackle the job in hand.

rob

NWFAP

• Matthew S. - From NW Fine Art Printing
    • Northwest Fine Art Printing
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 10:49:33 pm »

I agree.  The 7900/9900 series is a plug and play printer.  I run 9900s in my print facility and install was easiest we've had for a printer.  We have over 200 years of digital printing experience in our facility run Acuity Flatbeds, Xerox presses, several screen printers, several large format printers (GS6000s and 9900s) and the 9900s were the only printers that literally required NO setup to get great prints.  Our printer started printing without banding/profiling. 
Matthew S.<br />Business Development<br /> G7 Expert

Bluebottle

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 12:57:15 am »

I had a chance to do some serious prints today and made a couple of mistakes(in Quimage),but learned from them.
I'm printing from Qimage,using Enhanced Matt, Olympus E-3 HQ JPEGS (SOC no edits ),and printed some 16x20s that absolutely blew me away!
I did have some banding yesterday did a complete auto head alignment as suggested in the manual, and completely cleared up the problem!

You'r going to really like this printer once you get the basics down!

Why do you use Qimage as a printing programme?  Is it better than say Photoshop CS5 less problems simpler??

rob

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 10:48:10 am »

Qimage is a great layout program.  Way better than trying to print from Lightroom or PS. 
CMurph

Bluebottle

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 08:16:25 pm »

Qimage is a great layout program.  Way better than trying to print from Lightroom or PS. 

I give it a try. Layouts will be a problem when printing on continuous paper. I haven't had the problem before but I can't make all the mistakes myself just to find the right soultion.

Thanks Rob

Farmer

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 10:56:06 pm »

You may want to download the latest driver from the Epson Australia site, too, as it has added a Layout Manager option.  It's not as sophisticated as Qimage, but it is free and may offer you some solutions.

The updated driver is worth using anyway :-)
Phil Brown
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up