Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Swiss RM3d vs Alpa  (Read 10704 times)

adammork

Re: Arca Swiss RM3d vs Alpa
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 04:24:42 pm »

Interesting point!
 But maybe it's also related to the (relatively) long barrel the 70mm lens is mounted on. So maybe I should try to attach black velvet inside the lens barrel or so… ?
Thanks for bringing this up!

You should try that! The longer lenses are prone to flare in the barrel if there is no black velvet or other rough surface that don't reflect - and it will show even more when shifted, the light will reflect harder indside the barrel often close to the sensor.... That takes out the quality of even the best lenses!

The Alpa short barrel lenses are really well protected against this, since the "spacer" in the system have rippels coated with a rough surface. You will find the same rough black surface on many of the internal parts in the cameras and adapters and so on - it all helps reduesing all the lights bounsing around from the relative large image circles.

Alpa really do pay attention to all those small details - they are not just pretty cameras.....  ;)

/adam

tho_mas

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 04:55:38 pm »

You should try that!
okay, I will!
Yet again another thing to be paranoid about  ;D

Alpa really do pay attention to all those small details - they are not just pretty cameras...
yes, that's cool.
Then again ... me personally ... with regard to operation I am finding some things a bit impractible in comparision to the Rm3D, arTec and WRS, in particular the very fine (and therefore "slow") gear for the movements. Though I think you get used to it. Too, I prefer 4-way shift on the rear as on the Rm3D and WRS. I know the Max has an adapter but the camera is actually designed for lens rise/fall and rear left/right movements and in some way you can "feel" it... at least to me the adapter feels like a workaround. But as obviously nobody has an issue with the adapter it's probably just that: a feeling.
Finally, the Alpa stuff is certainly very, very well machined... but still it's overpriced... IMO. In comparision my WRS sure needed some fine adjustments and tuning... but it is working beatifully and reliably. The RM3D with it's unique helical focus mount and the arTec with its integrated sliding back are another matter... feature-wise not really comparable to the Max + WRS and also not comparable to eachother.
... IMO.

pixpop

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 05:09:51 pm »

Just fyi: I noticed that Badger Graphic is selling the Arca RM3d. I've bought from them many times in the past and like doing business with them. They're up front about pricing and give the best prices when compared to some dealers. They used to sell Alpa stuff, in fact it's where I bought mine.

Pix

JoeKitchen

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 05:55:42 pm »

There is one thing about the Arca I find odd, the ring is labeled 1 through 344.  As a math guy, I have to ask why not 1 through 360? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 06:07:31 pm »

Or in radians??

JoeKitchen

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 07:20:26 pm »

Or in radians??
Yes, radians would be awesome. 

tho_mas

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 07:38:28 pm »

Yes, radians would be awesome. 
will be soon available ... well, on the new Alpa focus rings. They will make it in meters, feet and degrees (if "degrees" is what you are refering to with "radians"...?)

cmb

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 07:46:41 pm »

The Alpa short barrel lenses are really well protected against this, since the "spacer" in the system have rippels coated with a rough surface. You will find the same rough black surface on many of the internal parts in the cameras and adapters and so on . . . .

Yes, this is a nice feature.  The interior surface of all of the Alpa Camera bodies, adapters, etc., are baffled.  You can see it in the images below.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 07:47:11 pm »

will be soon available ... well, on the new Alpa focus rings. They will make it in meters, feet and degrees (if "degrees" is what you are refering to with "radians"...?)

We were joking of course with radians.  FYI, radians is another way to measure angles using the idea that the circumference of a circle is equal to 2 x Π x radius; so 360 degress would be 2Π, or 180 degrees would be Π, 90 degrees is Π/2, and so on.  Very useful to use radians in Calculus and engineering applications.  

tho_mas

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 07:53:00 pm »

We were joking of course with radians.  FYI, radians is another way to measure angles using the idea that the circumference of a circle is equal to 2 x Π x radius; so 360 degress would be 2Π, or 180 degrees would be Π, 90 degrees is Π/2, and so on.  Very useful to use radians in Calculus and engineering applications.
ah, okay :-)
language barrier... the translation of my online dictionary didn't make much sense so I thought you are refering to "degrees" ... consequently I didn't get the joke.
Thanks for clarifying ;-)

DanielStone

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 02:47:44 am »

Where can I find a list of shops in USA that sell / stock the rm3di and phase backs?

Jim2,

contact KAREN MCHUGH  at Samy's Camera in Los Angeles. She's the person to talk to when it comes to gear like Arca and P1. I know 100% that Samy's deals in Phase backs, Leaf and Sinar as well. And I'm 95% sure they can get Arca-anything for you. Give them a call at 323.938.2420. ask for the "pro department, karen mchugh"

she's the best

-Dan

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 11:49:33 am »

I have RM3d in stock at Photomark in Phoenix and use one myself.
I just came back from Flagstaff, AZ using the RM3d and getting some great shots of the Aspens in Fall colors.
I love using the camera and it is a bit smaller and lighter than the Alpa.
The Alpa 12 max is a great camera as well, having the opportunity to work with one fairly often, but I prefer my Arca.
I believe it is more precise, in my opinion.  And the Rotaslide makes it very versatile for stitchers.
But if you call or come down, as several have, ask for me, Rod.
Thanks,
Rod :)
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

Jim2

• http://
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 12:25:15 pm »

Hi Rod, thanks for popping in :) Any idea when the rm3di will be available?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 12:36:07 pm »

We also sell Arca.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 01:56:43 pm »

I'm told by mid November there is a good chance for delivery.
I'm very hopeful, though Arca wants it right before shipping.
i have an order for some already.
RM2d in a small package is also an excellent choice if tilt is not required.
Also delivery roughly the same time.
Info on my web site: RodKlukas.com  Also Schneider stuff.
Rod :)
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

Jim2

• http://
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2010, 07:24:28 pm »

I just realised something: the size of rm3d is more equivalent / closer to Alpa Max rather than the Alpa TC with a grip, and so would the weight be. The Alpa STC will be closer to the RM2d I suppose, even though the Max has no tilt either.

Weight:
Alpa STC: 600g (without grip)
Alpa Max: 1180g
RM3d: 1150g

Dimensions:
Alpa STC: Size (body only): 134 mm (H) x 145 mm (W)
Alpa Max: W: 177 mm, H: 206 mm, D: 31 mm
RM3d: Length 185 mm, Height 200 mm, Depth 40 mm

It seems that either way I'll have to get more fit in order to carry all these gears while hiking!

Gosh it's hard without seeing and touching things physically including the lenses.

I also noticed the Alpa STC and MAX have 18mm horizontal shift either way, vs rm3d of 15mm either way. I guess it means the Alpa is 'better' i.e. gives me more pano stitching coverage, unless if I get a rotaslide.

Does the rotaslide have special pano positions / notches where it would click (center, left, right) for stitching?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:54:23 pm by Jim2 »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010, 05:29:11 am »

The Alpa gives you 6mm more coverage, if you have the right lens. (Big image circle)

Both are great cameras. However, I think there are more important aspects to both cameras than 6mm.

If you really want huge Panos, use a lens with an huge image cirlce and mount the camera sideways. 43mm shift with the Alpa Max and 40/50mm shift with the RM3d/i
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up