Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountains & Lakes in Slovenia  (Read 1214 times)

DuncanAndison

• http://www.takenfromthetop.com/
Mountains & Lakes in Slovenia
« on: October 17, 2010, 04:31:24 am »

Here are some images I made while in Slovenia. You can click on the images for larger views.

This image is of Dvojno jezero - The double lake. We had climbed up to the hut Koca Pri Triglavskih Jezeri (The Hut at Triglav Lakes) some thousand metres of very steep trails, beautiful place. The hut there is fantastic, very accommodation but that is one of the things that is so good about it, a get away from the usual trappings of life. Apart from a beer of course looking out over the view you see below.

This one was taken from the summit of Planica near Kranjska Gora. We ended up giving it legs as the lightening storm was massive, took 2 1/2 hours to get back and it didn't let up all the way. Couldn't hear the thunder because of the noise of the hailstones on my helmet, it was like being inside a drum, bolts of lightening were everywhere.

On our return from the above hut we stopped off in Bled and I grabbed a couple of shots of the Pilgrimage Church of the Assumption of Mary that is on an island in the lake. The cloud kept breaking up every now and again and I was able to get a couple of decent shots before the cloud cover darkended things off to much.

Thanks for looking

Duncan.

Dick Roadnight

Re: Mountains & Lakes in Slovenia
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 07:41:04 am »

Very nice, Duncan.

How good are photobox, and what res do they print at? Do they ship world wide?

What kit do you use and what is the kit weight for back-backing?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

DuncanAndison

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:25:33 am »

Very nice, Duncan.

How good are photobox, and what res do they print at? Do they ship world wide?

What kit do you use and what is the kit weight for back-backing?

Cheers, much appreciated....

So far I haven't received any complaints  about Image quality and the large prints I have had done for myself (20x16 and 30x20 inch prints) have all been good, can't complain. In the future I will probably move to selling images direct rather than through a third party but I have to build the shopping cart etc first. I always set my images to 300 DPI and upload jpgs converted from tiffs at quality 10-12 so they meet the conditions below. I use a Canon 5d mkii so there are times when I scale the images down a touch because the jpgs have exceeded 20mb.

Photobox Image conditions (taken from their website)
"If you're wondering the maximum image size, currently we don't have an upper limit for upload but we strongly recommend that you upload files no larger than 10Mb and that to optimise the time taken to upload, 5Mb is more than sufficient for most of our products."

worldwide delivery prices - http://www.photobox.co.uk/content/delivery-information-worldwide

European delivery prices - http://www.photobox.co.uk/content/delivery-information-EU

The gear I carry tends to be the same no matter where I go, I have listed it all below. Because of what I do I don't always carry a tripod, more often than not I do but if i'm out climbing it is not really practical.

Camera - Canon 5D mkii (810g)
Lenses - Canon 17-40L (500g), Canon 100-400L (1363g) & Canon 50mm f/1.8 (130g)
Cotton Carrier chest harness (looks silly but it means your camera and 100-400 is instantly available to use)
Filters - 1 set of soft ND Grads and 1 set of hard ND Grads, 1x 4 stop ND & Lee's Big Stopper. Polarising & UV filter
Tripod - Slik PRO 614 CF (860g) lightweight landscape head (150g)
Spare batteries, remote timer and a few other odds and sods

total camera gear - probably just over 4kgs

Tent back packing probably talking about a 20kg or more pack weight with water and stuff, winter climbing treks probably the same amount and as little as 10kgs when pottering around the mountains. To be honest I don't really notice the weight anymore, the more you carry it the easier it gets. If you carry it one day then don't bother for a while and go back to a heavy pack then you feel it.... carry it all the time and your body adapts.

Hope this answers your questions but if you want to know anything else just let me know.

Ta

Duncan

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 11:13:59 am »

Great photos, like the mountain view and especially Lake Bled - the fisherman is a nice touch. Slovenia is a rewarding location.

Were you on a boat for the Lake Bled shot? I don't remember the shoreline being accessible that far up the western side of the lake, and your shot looks like it's taken near the surface of the water. And how long was your lens for that shot?

DuncanAndison

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:14:13 pm »

Great photos, like the mountain view and especially Lake Bled - the fisherman is a nice touch. Slovenia is a rewarding location.

Were you on a boat for the Lake Bled shot? I don't remember the shoreline being accessible that far up the western side of the lake, and your shot looks like it's taken near the surface of the water. And how long was your lens for that shot?

Thanks, it certainly is! I'm looking forward to going back again, it really is a beautiful place.

Both Lake Bled Shots were taken from the shore. I was ducking around the trees on the waters edge. I was using a canon 100-400L for both. The one of the whole island and fisherman was at 100mm and the close up at 400mm.

Here's another one of the Julian Alps in Slovenia.

Duncan
Pages: [1]   Go Up