Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting clothes II  (Read 1224 times)

John Camp

Shooting clothes II
« on: October 15, 2010, 12:53:21 pm »

A few days ago I posted a note about the lack of decent-looking clothing (sport coats, etc.) that were also practical shooting clothes -- things you could wear when a photo vest or other work wear isn't really desirable or acceptable. Another member, K Bennett, suggested I look at a "Presentation Jacket" from Duluth Trading, and online clothing company specializing in work clothes.

I ordered one, for $179, and the jacket arrived yesterday. It's Navy blue (they also offer khaki.) I'm a natural men's size 42, and this fits me well. I'm not fat (nor am I notably thin...just sort of average), but I could use just a tich more room in the front, and the arms feel just a tiny bit narrow, so if you're chunky, you might keep that in mind, and perhaps go a size larger than your normal size. There are several versions of the jacket, and I ordered microfiber, because it doesn't wrinkle much, although, in my experience, microfiber can be uncomfortably hot in warm climates.

The jacket is designed for building contractors or carpenters who want to look tidy while making presentations to clients, but at the same time, carry all the stuff that contractors carry, like plans and tape measures. So, the jacket has four large inside pockets, three with snaps, one zippered. Two of the pockets are the standard breast pockets, though larger than standard; then there are two large more pockets lower down the inside front of the coat. There are also two large, flapless, patch pockets on the outside of the jacket, that will also carry lots of stuff, although you start to look bulgy. One of the patch pockets has an internal, zippered pocket inside of it, which would be great for carrying small valuables, like cash, or a passport. All in all, it advertises twelve pockets (I haven't found them all, apparently -- I can find 11.)

I find that I can carry a Canon G11 unnoticeably inside the upper breast pocket, and somewhat more noticeably in the lower pockets. I could also fit in a Leatherman tool, spare batteries, etc. The inside flap pockets will also take a couple of standard-sized travel guidebooks that I have sitting around here, or paperback novels, notebooks, etc. There are pockets for pens and, apparently, a folding rule. Overall, I think it's going to be a pretty handy jacket -- I doubt that any Italian clothiers would approve of it, because it does have something of a "workingman" look about it, but I doubt that would be noticed by anyone but fashionista. It looks fine with jeans or khakis.

They also offer a cheaper cotton-canvas version of the same jacket, and after I wear the current jacket around for a while, and find it okay, I may try the canvas one. The stiffer cloth may carry a camera better.

Here's a link (and I should say that I have no connection with Duluth Trading other than as a buyer.)

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-presentation-jackets-blazer/mens-presentation-jackets-blazer.aspx 

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Shooting clothes II
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 03:45:47 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. A couple of contractors I know like these jackets a lot, but I haven't bought one for myself yet. I think it's time to do so -- I can always use a casual sport coat to dress up a pair of khakis at work.

--Ken

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up