Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Super-resolution  (Read 2164 times)

hjulenissen

Super-resolution
« on: October 14, 2010, 11:08:16 am »

Anyone here doing super-resolution? It seems to me that many people here are really interested in cramming the most possible resolution from their gear, and recent posts about anti-aliasing filter removal spurred my interest.

I think that super resolution can be compared to old interlaced video camreras. Instead of "properly" filtering in the Nyquist sense, the sensor pixel sites are more like a point-sampler that is shifted in one or more dimensions. If the subject is sufficiently still and the optics can resolve the information, a high-resolution composite can be made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-resolution

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Super-resolution
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:42:19 am »

Anyone here doing super-resolution? It seems to me that many people here are really interested in cramming the most possible resolution from their gear, and recent posts about anti-aliasing filter removal spurred my interest.

I've done some, but more for testing purposes. It's a processing intensive operation, and requires a number of very slightly displaced images of stationary (relative to the sequence time) subjects, but it does work. It's a procedure that's done in Astronomy (search for "drizzle") to boost resolution, but there are some tools around for those who need to squeeze a little bit more resolution from their sensor. One can try the demo version of PhotoAcute Studio and see how it functions.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

hjulenissen

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 01:02:47 pm »

If you want a wide-angle landscape, there are some interesting differences between doing super-resolution and stitching panoramas:
*SR is more or less limited by the lense resolution (?), while stitching N photos will give an apparent N-fold increase in lense resolution.
*When doing SR, each image will be a sort of full image in its own right. Meaning that single "bad" images can simply be left out, and any number of slightly offset images can be included
*SR does not need expensive riggs for panning/tilting, but sharp optics and AA filter removal

-h

nass

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:36:31 pm »

Not for landscapes, no, but on the obligatory moon effort I used a freebie called Registax to combine 9 images and use that to obtain more resolution. It did a great job.

Luis Argerich

• Astrolandscaper
    • http://www.luisargerich.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 04:03:03 pm »

I wonder if there is a freeware app to do SR.
I've used DeepSkyStacker to do drizzle in astrophotography and it's quite a good resource. SR combined with NR by averaging  needs many many images but it's worth the effort for some special cases.
I only know photoacute for SR but is commercial. Anyone knows other alternatives?

nightfire

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 05:05:27 pm »

I only know photoacute for SR but is commercial. Anyone knows other alternatives?

The Photoacute guys give free licenses to those who help them create profiles for camera/lens combinations not yet in their list.
Pages: [1]   Go Up