Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSD for editing  (Read 10353 times)

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Re: SSD for editing
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 09:16:07 pm »

Zactly -- what Tived clarified.  Your original option 2 scenario set up as he described.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 07:07:41 pm »

Well, it's done.

(2) 240g OWC's installed.  Applications on one (47g used), documents and scratch on the other which is split 190/50.  The documents also have LR catalogs, so there is 78g used out of 190.

I don't have any detailed measuring software other than the Activity Monitor, but before the switch Disk Activity maxed out at about 30mb/s; it is now over 100.  It sure is faster opening applications and large files.  I did a pano that used to take over 30 minutes in less than 5 minutes.  Feels like a completely different computer.  Office 2011 opens faster than you can move your fingers from the touchpad to the keys.

Only issue I have is occasional crashes associated with finder and external drives.  Not sure what that is about, but I think it has something to do with power to the external drives because I have one eSATA drive that uses its own power supply and it has never crashed with that connected.  I have had crashes with USB drives, Firewire drives, and eSATA drives powered through the firewire.  I even had a crash with a simple USB jump drive.  Probably be unrelated to the new SSD's.  Anyway, overall a success.  Thank you for your help.

Dave

tived

• http://
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 07:15:39 pm »

Great news,

Very happy that its working out, it will be interesting to see how your experience has been in a few weeks. because I think we get become speed blind, and what is infront of us will never be fast enough, because we adapt to the environment.

But your measure of 30 vs 100 is a good indicator.

All the best and thanks for sharing

Henrik

DesW

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 06:54:46 am »

SSD's don't really need drive bays.  Put a square of double sided mounting tape on the thing and stick it anywhere the cables will reach.  They're very light, don't move/vibrate, or get hot.. so this works.

Ho Ho!- Yes SSDs do get HOT--my 500 GB SSD Runs cooking  with fans ago go with a Big processing out folder.

Des
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:57:31 am by DesW »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 08:42:22 am »

SSD's don't really need drive bays.  Put a square of double sided mounting tape on the thing and stick it anywhere the cables will reach.  They're very light, don't move/vibrate, or get hot.. so this works.

Ho Ho!- Yes SSDs do get HOT--my 500 GB SSD Runs cooking  with fans ago go with a Big processing out folder.

Des

PCIe card SSD?  Out of the 4 SSD's I have (intel and crucial) I've never felt them above room temp.. even after extended benchmarking.

Maybe yours is broken and ready to burst into flames.. ;o)
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up