Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Exhibition Fiber  (Read 1818 times)

Alan Davis

• Alan Davis Photography
Epson Exhibition Fiber
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:43:01 pm »

Has anyone printed the Epson Exhibition Fiber with the Z3100? If so just curious on the work flow for Black & White.
Alan Davis Photography
Bowling Green, KY 42101
www.alandavisphoto.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Epson Exhibition Fiber
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 06:53:08 pm »

And I am curious as to why your workflow would change based on the paper/printer combination.

Alan Davis

• Alan Davis Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 07:37:19 am »

I should have been more specific. Since my post I actually did some testing myself.
Here is  what I really wanted to know about black & white printing on EEF on my Z3100.

Do you profile the paper and print in color mode or do you use bypass the profiling for black & white and use the grayscale mode?

Do you use the Gloss Optimizer?

What paper pre-set do you use in the printer driver.

How do you softproof if you are printing in the HP grayscale mode and have no profile?

After making 3 test prints I have gotten very good results.

Here is what I did.

I did not profile the paper with the Z's built in spectro.

I printed from Photoshop CS4 using the Printer Manages Color setting and selecting Grayscale mode in the printer driver.

I used the HP Professional Satin pre-set.

First print I did no adjustment in the grayscale adjustments and Gloss Optimizer Off

Second print I made 2 slight adjustments in the printer driver Grayscale Adjustments by opening up the shadow areas and the mid tones. This print was much better but there was a distinct bronzing issue in some areas of the print.

Third print was made with the exact Grayscale Adjustment as the second but I turned on the Gloss Optimizer. Great print and no bronzing!

Maybe my testing and posting my experience can help someone.

By the way, I do have an Epson 9900, Epson 4880, Epson 3800 and an HP 9180. I have made some really great black & white prints on the Epson Exhibition Fiber on my 9900 but on this printer I mostly print Breathing Color's Lyve canvas using matte black ink. Seems to me when I change from matte to photo black in my 9900 there is a lot of ink wast. So now I will simply print all my EEF black & white prints on my Z3100 and all my Lyve canvas on my 9900.
By the way anyone interested in the 3800 or the 9180 I have decided to sell them!

Regards,
Alan

Alan Davis Photography
Bowling Green, KY 42101
www.alandavisphoto.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:49:57 am »

Keep the images assigned with either AdobeRGB, sRGB or 2.2 Gamma profiles. The printer driver's CM expects that more or less.  That's the only thing to add I guess. Using QTR created B&W paper profiles goes a step further but may not create much difference.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

spectral plots of +100 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up