Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print Media Questions for the HP Z3100ps  (Read 2672 times)

hbci

Print Media Questions for the HP Z3100ps
« on: October 12, 2010, 12:03:33 pm »

Hello All,

I work at a retailer who has recently decided to take all of their print jobs in-house. Before we were creating the graphics in-house, and farming them out to big-box printers (Staples, etc) in order to get them printed.

We recently purchased an HP Z3100ps printer. Now, I need few suggestions regarding print media for the Z3100. The majority of printing we do will be for indoor displays (hanging banners, x-type banner stands, etc). However, we still would like to do some outdoor printing on the z3100 for media that will be secured below our outdoor signage. Example: We've got a few items that are on a 3-month clearance, so we print up a clearance banner and hang it outdoors.

I've taken a look around at HP's print media website, and it is so vague and difficult to navigate that I find myself going in circles for hours at a time without actually coming up with a concrete answer.

SO, If you could point me in the right direction regarding what to order, I would be really appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

Glyn

Edit: It's the 44" model. We're interested in anything from 36" - 44".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:05:49 pm by hbci »

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Print Media Questions for the HP Z3100ps
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 03:10:56 am »

Check some HP documents about using third party media on the Z3100 if you can not find the right HP media for the jobs.
There will be a link to the docs on the Z3100 Wiki pages.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

hbci

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:25:29 am »

Has anyone tried the:
  • HP Durable Display Film
  • HP Matte Polypropylene
  • HP Opaque Scrim

What can you tell me about them for outdoor use? Anything better for the price? The HP Opaque Scrim is $360.99!

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:07:00 am »

DM me- we have a nice array of signage media we've developed, but also we handle HP and others.  We can certainly help you through the maze.  :)
Ted Dillard

KevinWilliams

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:50:51 pm »

For outdoor banner and X-Banners you'd want to use a scrim banner type material such as the material found here.

For retractable banners a polypropylene is the best way to go as it is inexpensive, highly durable and gives photo quality output. You can find a polypropylene banner material here

About the outdoor prints since you are using a pigment based printer you would probably get around 6 months outdoors for a banner without lamination.

hbci

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:06:08 pm »

For outdoor banner and X-Banners you'd want to use a scrim banner type material such as the material found here.

For retractable banners a polypropylene is the best way to go as it is inexpensive, highly durable and gives photo quality output. You can find a polypropylene banner material here

About the outdoor prints since you are using a pigment based printer you would probably get around 6 months outdoors for a banner without lamination.

How would I setup the Z3100 to print onto these? What profile would I use?

Thanks for your reply.

hbci

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 12:16:29 pm »

After a bit of shopping around, I determined that the FastPlot series from MacroEnter would be my most economical choice.

This morning I ordered:
FP-WPSB15-R4260   FastPlot Outdoor Scrim Vinyl Banner 15 mil - Waterproof 400g - 42" x 60' Roll   1   $119.05   $119.05
FP-WPPP-R42100   FastPlot Polypropylene Banner 8 mil Waterproof - 42" x100FT - 2" core   1   $107.67   $107.67
Subtotal:    $226.72

I'll post after I have received the products and let you know how it goes.

KevinWilliams

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 05:37:14 pm »

Hi Glyn. With the Z3100, it has a built in spectrometer. You will be able to load the banner material in and profile it using the hp utilities. Without profiling, you could try using a default hp banner material though.

hbci

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 04:32:34 pm »

Hi Glyn. With the Z3100, it has a built in spectrometer. You will be able to load the banner material in and profile it using the hp utilities. Without profiling, you could try using a default hp banner material though.

I have loaded the banner material, and opened up HP Utilities. HP Default Banner Material isn't an option, and I can't profile it through HP utilities as it wants me to choose one of the options below:

I made a new post regarding the firmware/ICC profiles missing from the HP website. Please don't regard this as double-post.

Any suggestions? I'm all ears!

Thanks.

KevinWilliams

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 09:49:15 am »

If you don't have an HP banner material option. Try from a different starting point such as a coated paper or a canvas from the fine art area. You will be able to rename the profile to FastPlot Scrim Banner so that you will know what media you are using.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:35:10 am »

I've taken a look around at HP's print media website, and it is so vague and difficult to navigate that I find myself going in circles for hours at a time without actually coming up with a concrete answer.

Glyn

Several banner media presets for the Z3100 to download from this page:

http://h30413.www3.hp.com/SupportServices/country/us/en/iccmedia.html-
profile_type=MEDIA+new_product=Z3100.htm

after that you can create a custom media preset based on one, calibrate and profile if the HP OEM version isn't good enough.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

spectral plots of +100 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

KevinWilliams

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 03:08:30 pm »

Great link, i coped and pasted the whole link since it was cut in the post. But guess what? when i tried to download the files from inside that page. The profiles were unable to be found when i clicked on the download link. Thanks HP keep up the fine work.

Ernst Dinkla

Pages: [1]   Go Up