Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pricing on "Travels to the edge."  (Read 11086 times)

BFoto

• Brad's blog
Re: Pricing on "Travels to the edge."
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 10:12:34 pm »

You seem to be ignoring what's a major selling point:

Most people do now days. It's all about speed of convenience and now now me, me.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 01:18:56 am »

You seem to be ignoring what's a major selling point: LL is offering it in 720p, while DVD is 480p (at best). Assuming the LL downloads have decent bitrates and modern codecs, quality improvement over DVD is huge. Given the quality of the sample on LL main page I trust this will be the case.

1080p would be even better. Or 1440p. Or 2k. Or 4k. The race will never end...
I just watched my first one using my AppleTV, and the HD quality was great.  720p is pretty good.  I think the HD download video would definitely look better than the DVD's.

I really enjoyed the video.  For someone such as myself who will never be able to travel to such magnificent locations, the quality of the video really enhances the experience.  The production quality is great, and the mixture of Art's stills to the video is wonderful.  I imagine eventually I'll own all of them.

I appreciate LuLa making them available.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 03:23:34 am »

I already own all of them on DVD - And have enjoyed them immensely.

If I did not already own them I would purchase them as download - but hey.. thats me...
Wild Nature Photo Travel

jenbenn

• http://
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 08:26:50 am »

As the dicussion takes place here, I wanted to bring in my arguments detailed elsewhere. 10$ for 24 minutes translate to approx 50-80$ for a comparable full length DVD education programm( like BBC documentories) which is in fact sold for around 20 bucks.  On top: its only a download and not even a booklet is provided. Furthermore,  the series is quite old and has been aired on Tv many times and is sponsored by microsoft and Canon. Therefore the low volume sales over LL cannot be an argument as production cost should have been paid by now. This leads me to infer that the sale is more or less a 90 % profit business, allowing for certain costs, such as for download conversion  and maintance of the LL-site.
So despite the excellent quality of the programm, I find it very hard to justify the pricing.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 10:15:17 am »

I think we have been here already. It is buyer's choice.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 02:06:21 pm »

... I find it very hard to justify the pricing.

Pricing (any pricing) does not need justification. It is an act of free will (at least in free-market societies). It is sellers' product, and they are free to do whatever they want with it: use it, benefit from it or even abuse it. (the usus, fructus, abusus principle, as old as Roman law). They are pricing it for maximum profit... selling fewer products at a higher price can still generate more profit than selling more products at a lower price (or not)... if they miscalculated it, they will ultimately revise the price... but at this point in the game, I trust they know their market better than you (and I) can.

However, you are perfectly entitled to justify the expense to yourself (or your wife).

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 04:15:14 pm »

Personally I find the series very well done and enjoyable to watch.  I assume Art and the group producing the series gets a decent share, so I don't mind at all paying a premium ... almost like a contribution to help T2E stay viable and continue.  Like wise, for all of the free information Michael and LuLa has offered over the years, I would much prefer to support them by purchasing something such as this, as opposed to the more normal practice of "hey, please send money" or charging a subscription fee.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 05:40:58 pm »

Personally I find the series very well done and enjoyable to watch.  I assume Art and the group producing the series gets a decent share, so I don't mind at all paying a premium ... almost like a contribution to help T2E stay viable and continue.  Like wise, for all of the free information Michael and LuLa has offered over the years, I would much prefer to support them by purchasing something such as this, as opposed to the more normal practice of "hey, please send money" or charging a subscription fee.

Unfortunately, my understanding is PBS has pulled out of the series and is no longer funding it. We are unlikely to see more new episodes; which is a real shame as I did very much enjoy them.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

dwnelson

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 03:15:56 am »

I just bought Seasons 1 and 2 from the LuLa download store for $200... then felt like a schmuck when I found both seasons on Art Wolfe's web site for $90 on DVD. I would have rather had the DVDs... and the $110.

Bill in WV

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 12:20:12 pm »

It has obviously taken me a while to even find this thread as I tend to visit different more specific threads, but I wanted to chime in for just a quick note. I just went back to the store and because the way the History is listed I am not sure but I think I paid the $99.00 for Travels To The Edge, both seasons. I can't tell you how many times I have watched all of them but I will say Art Wolfe is amazing, his production staff incredibly talented, and I know I never regretted a single cent that was paid for my copies. They remain a treat to watch. Thanks Michael, Chris, Art and all who made the decision to sell them through the Luminous Landscape.
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 02:21:39 pm »

I would suggest to those reading the more recent posts to this thread go back and read from the beginning...

The reasons for the pricing stated earlier (much earlier :D ) still stand.

Chris
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up