Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What Carbon Fiber tripods are you using?  (Read 10030 times)

howard smith

What Carbon Fiber tripods are you using?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 06:37:53 pm »

I am aware of that.  But why pay 50% more for 5% more tripod?  Is CF really worth it if you aren't too concerned about weight.  A cast iron Dutch oven is way better than an aluminum one until you need to carry it.  Put the extra money into something you can use.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2005, 07:47:02 pm »

Have you ever even touched a CF tripod?

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2005, 10:44:42 pm »

Off topic: Anyone else ever notice how the Acratech drifts slightly as you tighten is down? The RRS completely eliminates that. Compose the shot and tighten - zero drift. ZERO. I no longer have to compensate!
Bob:  FTR, no way that comment is OT -- when discussing pods, discussions of heads is a natural sequitur...

To answer your question, YES, I did notice that with the Acratech.  Also precisely why I immediately returned it -- nothing more frustrating than to get your framing lined up only to have it tweak out as you lock down your head!   Which is how I ended up with the Kirk BH-3 as the lightweight head on my 1228...

For posterity on this thread, the Arca, Kirk and NPC do not shift as you tighten them either.

Cheers,

Jack
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Stef_T

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2005, 11:03:53 pm »

Speaking of sharpness of aluminum and CF tripods, does anyone by chance have an example of the difference between them. I know that the exact reframing of a shot with different tripods is impossible and I am not asking you to go out and try it, but if you have some pictures that are taken at the same shutter speed of a target of similar distance with both an aluminum and a CF tripod I'd greatly apreciate seeing them.

Thank you for your help,

Stefan

Paul Sumi

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2005, 11:09:46 am »

Re the RRS lever clamp...

Be advised that some older Arca-style QR plates were cut to a slightly narrower tolerance than RRS or Kirk currently use, and these plates will NOT lock in the RRS lever clamp.  

In fact, my biggest gripe on the RRS lever clamp is that it is NOT adjustable other than open or close.  Seems to me it would be a simple matter to have the lever on a lead screw that could be twisted up one turn to tighten or backed off one to loosen the clamping force.
Bob, Jack,

Thanks for your replies.  I was wondering if the clamp lever was adjustable (to compensate for wear and variations in plate size). I use RRS or Kirk plates so this shouldn't present a problem, but this does give me pause for thought.

Best,

Paul

David R. Gurtcheff

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2005, 09:27:00 am »

Hi Jack; I kept my previous ball joint head which I really like. It is a Kenko FP-120 PRO.
Thanks for your help.
Dave

David R. Gurtcheff

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2005, 09:28:34 pm »

Thanks again Jack. Just ordered the Kirk BH-3 (2 week wait). Didn't expect to pay that much for a ball head, but I respect your opinion, and you do get what you pay for.
Best regards
Dave

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2005, 09:17:39 am »

I agree with all of the comments about the RRS LR clamp. It is fine with RRS plates, but it is also worth pointing out that it is incompatible with Arca products themselves. For example, it will not lock down on the rail of my Arca F-line.
On the subject of ballhead alternatives to Kirk, Arca, acratech RRS,etc., I would not dismiss the Linhof Profi ballheads which will also take the RRS and other clamps. I also recently handled two others, Giottos (poor) and a head from a German company called FLM. This was very solidly made out of metal and is similar in design to the Arca, except it has a metal ball like the Linhof. It comes in different sizes and is surprisingly cheap. It can be bought without the platform and in the UK is available from Speed graphic.
When it comes to tripods, nobody ever seems to have a good word for the Manfrotto carbon models. I have a 440 with the carbon 544 levelling base/column. Great travelling tripod and I so much prefer the flip-locks on the legs to those dreadful twist locks on the Gitzos (I have a 1328 and a 1349 as well).
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2005, 09:59:44 pm »

FWIW, I am 6'-6" tall.  Plus I do not like to extend the center column unless absolutely necessary since it compromises stability -- gives you a monopod on three legs instead of a tripod.  

That being said, the 1228 is not really tall enough for me to use as an everyday pod, ut it is a great travel pod.  The 1348 will go taller than I am -- which I like when I need to plant a leg further downhill than I am -- so perhaps more length than you need.  The 1325 is probably about right, and a little lighter and a little cheaper than the 1348.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack

mikebinok

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2005, 09:07:31 pm »

I use and recommend a Gitzo 1325 as my primary tripod.  Only reservation I'd have is if you are very tall.  I'm 6' 2", and would encounter problems if my 1325 were any shorter than it is.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2005, 12:23:33 pm »

I use three Gitzo CF's --

the 1228 with a Kirk BH-3 for travel (fits inside a 22" carryon and is good for up to the 70-200/2.8 IS on a 1D/1Ds camera),

the 1325 with levelling base and geared head for my LF camera (good for most any camera/lens combo, unless it is huge -- then go to the 1548),

and the 1348 with levelling base and Arca B1 as my normal heavy duty pod to use with DSLR while in the field -- (I prefer the three longer legs on the 1325 for lighter weight and faster adjustment, but I'm relatively tall at 6'-6" and the 1325 does not go quite tall enough for some of my needs with the DSLR. Plus I'm anal, and when on a trip I like to have back-ups  )  

Cheers,
Jack
Jack

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2005, 05:45:59 pm »

Howard et al:

For the record, in addition to being lighter in weight, carbon fiber also has better damping properties than metal tubing.  In this respect it is more like wood in that it does not tend to transmit or carry harmonic vibrations as readily as metal.

All good when you are looking for the utmost in camera stability  :cool:

Jack
Jack

howard smith

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2005, 07:38:12 pm »

I have never made an image that made me say I wish I had a better tripod.  I have carried heavier tripods for sure.  There just may be better bang for your buck than a CF tripod.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2005, 09:39:49 pm »

Have you ever even touched a CF tripod?
Ahah - so I'm not the only one! Sunday morning I went out shooting with 3 other guys who all had aluminum Bogens. It was 10 degrees F out. I'm here to tell you those guys were almost in tears dealing with their pods. Meanwhile I'm just setting up shots one after another. And - the touch is so smooth - it just screams quality design and build.

My Pods (finally)

For Long Hikes: Gitzo 1228 with Acratech Ultimate Ballhead

For eveything else: Gitzo 1325 with leveling base and RRS BH-55 Ballhead.

By the way, the 1325/RRS is a noticable upgrade in stability. I produced detail in some of my 20D shots that made me sweat when I printed them out. There is something to be gained with the extra weight and the more secure ball head.

Off topic: Anyone else ever notice how the Acratech drifts slightly as you tighten is down? The RRS completely eliminates that. Compose the shot and tighten - zero drift. ZERO. I no longer have to compensate!
--------------------------
This shot is upressed from about a 25% crop of a 20D image. Taken rom about a 1/3 of a mile away on distant shore with the 300mm f/4 L. When I preview it in Photoshop at 100% I can see buds in the distant tree branches. That is the Carbon Fiber at work!

Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Paul Sumi

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2005, 11:42:05 pm »

For Long Hikes: Gitzo 1228 with Acratech Ultimate Ballhead

For eveything else: Gitzo 1325 with leveling base and RRS BH-55 Ballhead.
Bob,

My all-around tripod is a 1348 and yes, I like it a lot better in cold weather than aluminum legs.  I chose the 1348 rather than the 1325 because the extra leg segment makes it more versatile on uneven ground and also packs shorter for travel.

Another detour to ballheads.  I'm very interested in the RRS ballhead.  Did you get the quick release lever clamp and if so how do you like it?  I'd like to get your opinion on how well that clamp will retain its tightening ability over time.

Thanks,

Paul

blowery

• http://www.blowery.org/
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2005, 03:49:16 pm »

I too have the quick release RRS clamp and I havn't had any problems so far with clamping tightness or it letting go.  I've got it mated with the RRS 10D L bracket, so no real surprise that it fits like a glove.

Also, I've got this sitting on top of the Acratech ballhead, and I havn't had any complaints so far.  I have noticed a very slight shift when working on 1:1 macro subjects or with long lenses, but nothing to get worked up about.  I do a lot of hiking, hence my primary motivator was the low weight.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2005, 10:26:14 am »

Hi Jack; I kept my previous ball joint head which I really like. It is a Kenko FP-120 PRO.
Thanks for your help.
Dave
I'll add this as delicately as possible...

Putting a cheap ballhead on a Gitzo CF pod is like putting Sears tires on a Ferrari -- you'll never glean the full potential of either piece of equipment if the point of connection is a weak link.

My .02 only and respect that YMMV,

Jack
Jack

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2005, 04:02:42 pm »

Jack I appreciate your 2 cents, no offense taken, as I respect your opinion. What ball head would you recommend for the 1227?
Dave

I would look at both the Acratech and the Kirk BH-3.  

I tried an Acratech and loved its design and weight.  But in use the angled ball socket tended to make the ball want to rotate on that anguled axis, which drove me nuts when trying to fine-tune it.  A has already been mentioned, it also wanted to shift when locked:
http://acratech.net/

I then got the little Kirk, and have been very happy with it:
http://www.kirkphoto.com/ballheadbh3.html
Jack

mikebinok

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2005, 01:47:24 am »

As I mentioned way back at the start of this thread, I use the Gitzo 1325 as my main tripod.  For an ultralight travel or hiking tripod, I like my Gitzo 1028.  It is extremely light.  It is not awesome as a superstable tripod, but I think it is decent for the weight.  I originally used an acratech ultimate ballhead on it, but didn't like the ballhead (I'm glad to see Jack Flesher's comments on it, I thought I was the only person who didn't like the acratech!) and am now using a RRS BH-25.  Works well for moderate-sized lenses as long as I keep my expectations realistic.  

To be clear, I'm not suggesting this as a primary tripod!   :cool:

Tom Hill

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2005, 06:07:06 pm »

I second the comment on the 1228 for height.  I'm 5'10" and it's perfect for me with a Kirk BH-1 ballhead.  It sits right at my eye-height with the legs fully extended without the center column extended.  If you're taller, you'll be slightly stooped over looking through the view finder.  

I use the 1228 as my primary landscape tripod complete with BH-1 and RRS pano equipment.  I make stitched images with this setup.  The best two features by far are the light weight and it's not bone chilly cold at sub-zero temps.

My large lens and previously primary tripod is an older Gitzo 410 (now it's the 1410).  It's an awesome tripod, large, stable and very capable but it's heavy and bone chilly cold on sub-zero days.

Cheers
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up