Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Monitor Calibration software for Macbook Pro  (Read 13023 times)

jayz

Best Monitor Calibration software for Macbook Pro
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:40:54 pm »

I've never calibrated my monitor before and wanted to calibrate my 1 year old Macbook Pro (3.06 gHz processor/matte screen) with Snow Leopard.

What is the best option.  Sales staff have suggested Datacolor Spyder 3 elite and the xrite eye one display 2.  I've read there are issues with Snow Leopard/macbooks and calibration software, so I'm not sure which one to pick.  Help coming to a choice would be much appreciated by a novice.  As price for both are about the same, cost isn't a deciding factor.  I currently am not printing, but may want to in the future.  Both seem pretty old products, so I'm not sure if there is anything newer out there in the same price range.

shewhorn

• http://
Re: Best Monitor Calibration software for Macbook Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:31:31 am »

I've never calibrated my monitor before and wanted to calibrate my 1 year old Macbook Pro (3.06 gHz processor/matte screen) with Snow Leopard.

What is the best option.  Sales staff have suggested Datacolor Spyder 3 elite and the xrite eye one display 2.

The Spyder 3 is the newest puck on the market (that's not crazy expensive at least). For the MBP I would suggest the Spyder 3 with Color Eye Display Pro. I've gotten some pretty inconsistent results from the i1D2 and DTP94 with the MBP screens. I can only guess that there's something about the white LED backlighting that throws them off but I'm not positive.

I've read there are issues with Snow Leopard/macbooks and calibration software, so I'm not sure which one to pick. 

I've not experienced any issues myself and if it wasn't working for most people you'd hear A LOT more chatter about it. Datacolor's and X-Rite's software work fine. I"ve found Color Eyes Display Pro to render better results though in terms of monitor profiling.

Cheers, Joe
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:43:23 am by shewhorn »

JeremyLangford

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 09:46:15 pm »

I also use a MacBook Pro and I'm trying to decide which monitor calibrator to buy but it's for my Dell U2311H. After reading some, it seems like the best current calibrator would be either the X-Rite i1Display 2 or the Spyder 3 Elite. But there are many less expensive models that I'm not sure if I should be considering. Because I have a standard gamut display, I'm not sure if I need to pay for one of the best calibrators or if they would be unnecessary. I never thought about getting the Color Eyes Display Pro software but for $115 more you could get it bundled with the Spyder 3.

jayz

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:20:08 pm »

The Spyder 3 is the newest puck on the market (that's not crazy expensive at least). For the MBP I would suggest the Spyder 3 with Color Eye Display Pro. I've gotten some pretty inconsistent results from the i1D2 and DTP94 with the MBP screens. I can only guess that there's something about the white LED backlighting that throws them off but I'm not positive.

I've not experienced any issues myself and if it wasn't working for most people you'd hear A LOT more chatter about it. Datacolor's and X-Rite's software work fine. I"ve found Color Eyes Display Pro to render better results though in terms of monitor profiling.

Cheers, Joe
Appreciate the advice.  are you recommending Spyder 3 or spyder 3 elite - is there a difference??

jayz

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:23:02 pm »

I also use a MacBook Pro and I'm trying to decide which monitor calibrator to buy but it's for my Dell U2311H. After reading some, it seems like the best current calibrator would be either the X-Rite i1Display 2 or the Spyder 3 Elite. But there are many less expensive models that I'm not sure if I should be considering. Because I have a standard gamut display, I'm not sure if I need to pay for one of the best calibrators or if they would be unnecessary. I never thought about getting the Color Eyes Display Pro software but for $115 more you could get it bundled with the Spyder 3.

I have the same question as I've asked Joe. I checked out the following link:
http://www.integrated-color.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CEDP-SP&Category_Code=Display+Calibration

I'm not sure if the bundle offered is just for the Spyder 3 or SPyder 3 Elite, or what the difference would be??  If it is the Spyder 3 elite bundled with the Color Eyes Display pro, it seems like a pretty good deal, since the selling price is $299 and in Canada the Spyder 3 Elite alone is $289.

shewhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 12:10:02 am »

Appreciate the advice.  are you recommending Spyder 3 or spyder 3 elite - is there a difference??

Integrated Color sells a bundle with the Spyder 3. The difference between the individual packages though (if you don't get the bundle and buy Datacolor's software and puck and then get CEDP as well) are a little bit of software and a little bit of hardware. The Elite is the top end model. It has an ambient light sensor and the software is a little more advanced. The Pro has the same exact puck and also has an ambient light sensor but the software isn't quite advanced (forget what the differences are). The Express does not have the ambient light sensor but is otherwise the same hardware as the pro and the elite. Any of them should work with Color Eyes Display Pro.

Cheers, Joe
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:14:02 am by shewhorn »

JeremyLangford

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 12:37:08 am »

Integrated Color sells a bundle with the Spyder 3. The difference between the individual packages though (if you don't get the bundle and buy Datacolor's software and puck and then get CEDP as well) are a little bit of software and a little bit of hardware. The Elite is the top end model. It has an ambient light sensor and the software is a little more advanced. The Pro has the same exact puck and also has an ambient light sensor but the software isn't quite advanced (forget what the differences are). The Express does not have the ambient light sensor but is otherwise the same hardware as the pro and the elite. Any of them should work with Color Eyes Display Pro.

Cheers, Joe

Wow, thanks a lot. That will definitely help me decide.

ChasP505

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:13:27 am »

The Spyder3 puck that comes bundled with the ColorEyes software is the same unit as comes with a Spyder3 Pro kit.  It is identical to the puck from the Spyder3 Elite package, except a different color finish.  I use the Spyder3 Express puck along with ColorEyes software.  Again, it's identical hardware to the Pro and Elite versions, except that the ambient light sensor is disabled (by a cap which I'm told can be removed).  The ambient light function makes no difference since ColorEyes doesn't use it.

I get superb profiles on my Dell 2209WA, a model similar to Mr. Langford's U2311h.  The Spyder3 Express can be had for $78 USD, a $35 savings over buying the Spyder3 puck bundled with ColorEyes.
Chas P.

JeremyLangford

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 12:54:36 pm »

It seems like the best overall choice would be any of the Spyder 3 pucks paired with Color Eyes Display Pro software. I didn't expect to have to spend $250-$300 but I guess it will be worth it.

ChasP505

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 03:38:05 pm »

Jeremy and Jayz...  I'd stick with the EyeOne Display 2.  You can't go wrong with it.
Chas P.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 03:41:21 pm »

Jeremy and Jayz...  I'd stick with the EyeOne Display 2.  You can't go wrong with it.

Agreed. Plus to spend extra money on software for a Macbook seems kind of excessive. Useful to do, but lets not forget what quality of display we’re working with here!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jayz

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 10:44:06 pm »

I appreciate all the feedback. There really seems to be a big diff between prices for all products in Canada in USA.

In canada the prices are the following:
-xrite Eye One display 2 - $280
-SPyder 3 elite - $289
-Integrated Color Coloreyes Display Pro Spyder 3 Bundle - $359
  ($299 if purchased directly from Color eyes)

I could buy from the USA, but after shipping to canada it comes within $20-30 of CDN prices, not sure if its worth the hassle.

Based on the price differential, what would be my best option - both for use with my current Macbook Pro, where I'm not currently printing, as well as in the future, if I do start printing on my own.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 10:35:09 am »

Based on the price differential, what would be my best option - both for use with my current Macbook Pro, where I'm not currently printing, as well as in the future, if I do start printing on my own.

Save your money for a really good smart monitor that you can use that colorimeter (again, I’d suggest an EyeOne Display-2) on in the future, something like a SpectraView II. The Macbook display in comparison is a toy.

shewhorn

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 11:40:16 am »

Agreed.

The "Agreed" for context is regarding the i1D2. Andrew, I'm not sure if you've experienced this but I've noticed that the DTP94 and i1D2 seem to produce inconsistent results from profile to profile on the newer MacBook and MacBook pros that feature the white LED backlights. I don't know if it's specifically something about the white LEDs or not but it manifests in the form of different color casts from profile to profile. The Sypder 3 seemed to produce more consistent results. YMMV.

Plus to spend extra money on software for a Macbook seems kind of excessive. Useful to do, but lets not forget what quality of display we’re working with here!

Mmmmm a good point.

Jayz, not sure if you're familiar with the issues regarding laptop screens so my apologies if you already do but to add to what Andrew said about the MacBook screen (actually this applies to just about all laptop screens, both Mac and PC)... The biggest issue is that they use TN panels. TN panels are notorious for having color and gamma shift when viewed off axis (especially on the vertical axis). Even if you bolted your head to the screen so your eyes fell dead center and your line of sight was perpendicular to the screen, you'll probably still see the effects of this at the top and bottom of the screen to a certain degree. The other issue is that it's a 6 bit screen.

Cheers, Joe

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 11:55:27 am »

Yes, I do recall a few years ago having issues with an EyeOne D2 on a Macbook display which I suspect was LED. That said, I have a newer 2010 model MBP and all seems well (for that quality or lack thereof display).
Pages: [1]   Go Up