Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Messing with Standard Lens Hoods  (Read 1297 times)

Rob C

Messing with Standard Lens Hoods
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:12:14 pm »

Nope, the measurement was NOT right; back to the drawing board - literally!

Did some further tests this morning and whilst the edges of the mask certainly do not appear in either close or distant focusing, what happens is that at full aperture, there is a clouding at the four corners which yesterday's test didn't reveal.

In yesterday's test, what was revealed was that unless the hood was placed in exactly the right place - parallel to the frame, obvious cutoff occurred - you could see the edges of the mask; however, that positioning resolved, at full aperture you don't see edges but you do see clouding, which is just as useless.

What surprised me too, this morning, is that taking two shots of the same blank, white interior wall, without any hood at all, the histogram varies when the focus is right on or moved right away... I'd have imagined that white is white, in or out of focus. I discount light loss due to extension, because the indicated exposure remains identical.

Any ideas?

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:28:54 am by Rob C »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Messing with Standard Lens Hoods
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:08:40 am »

What surprised me too, this morning, is that taking two shots of the same blank, white interior wall, without any hood at all, the histogram varies when the focus is right on or moved right away... I'd have imagined that white is white, in or out of focus. I discount light loss due to extension, because the indicated exposure remains identical.

Any ideas?

Hi Rob,

Depending on the optical design, the amount of vignetting can change with focus distance setting. Also, but to a lesser extent, the structure of the wall surface will potentially create shadowing of the structure and (semi-)specular highlights, which can change the histogram (the standard deviation will increase when in focus).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:34:03 am »

Hi Rob,

Depending on the optical design, the amount of vignetting can change with focus distance setting. Also, but to a lesser extent, the structure of the wall surface will potentially create shadowing of the structure and (semi-)specular highlights, which can change the histogram (the standard deviation will increase when in focus).

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart

Tried further tests today and it isn't worth the bother; you end up with the equivalent of a tiny eyebrow that is daft, so I guess Nikon knows best!

Rob C

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:16:56 pm »

http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

Downloadable, printable lens hoods...