Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: URGENT! need help for my damaged phaseone files...  (Read 2583 times)

cmykphoto

URGENT! need help for my damaged phaseone files...
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:52:44 am »

during an important shooting today, everything was fine when i shoot to my CF card using Phaseone P65+, during the last minute, my assistant took out the CF card with the digitalback power on....the all the files on that card were damaged......

couldn't open them in C1 pro..i even tried Sandisk Rescue software but with no luck!!

any one has this experience before? since the photos are VERY important, is there any way to rescue the files?

thanks so much!!!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: URGENT! need help for my damaged phaseone files...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:01:18 pm »

Talk to your Phase One dealer. Phase One has some tools and experience with using Hex Editor to try to extract the useable/good data from damaged files / cards. Through your dealer you can submit some of the files by FTP and they can do their best to help. Do NOT write anything to the CF card, format the card, or otherwise change the card until you've resolved this issue since you may be asked to extract data off the card in another way (e.g. ProSoft's Data Rescue III).

I assume you mean he took the CF card out while the back was on and recording the last burst of shots. There is no problem taking a CF card out while the back is on provided that it is not recording anything at the time. Of course like any recording device if you manually eject it while it's writing something bad things can happen.

The other way you can have this happen is to format the card in some kinds of other camera and then not format the card in-the-phase-one-back before using it. Similar issues can be had with any brand of camera if you format it in one camera and then use it in another kind of camera without reformatting it.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:03:32 pm by dougpetersonci »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:53:11 pm »

testing this with a Canon for comparison.

Note the word "can".

Depending on WHAT the camera is writing to the card, what kind of card it is, etc etc. This wasn't a pissing match - just trying to help the guy out. The point is ejecting a media while it's being written to is never a good idea.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

JV

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 12:56:54 pm »

I once had a card fail on me and I used the services of a company called LC Technology to recover the files.

They weren't able to get everything back but they did recover around 150 out of 220 files.

My situation was different from yours though in the sense that the card just failed.  I did not remove it while it was being written to.

cmykphoto

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 01:11:37 pm »

thanks so much !

since my client need the photos soon..is there a way i can take good ones from the card by my self?

the weired thing was that all the photos looked fine during the shooting on that card according to the preview on the back...then suddenly all the photos looked like the attached one in my first post!!

Zenny

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:15:49 pm »

@cmykphoto

Sent you a pm. Check and using low-level recovery tools I suggested would certainly help. Relax!!!

zenny

*** Support http://www.thehumanape.org ***
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:21:18 pm by Zenny »

cmykphoto

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 12:52:39 am »

here is a sample of the origial damaged file:

http://hotfile.com/dl/75446391/fa5ea25/CF011751.IIQ.html

ced

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 03:13:20 pm »

It looks from seeing the thumbnail preview on the mac that the file is corrupted and I wonder if it may not be possible to fix.
Perhaps you can reconstruct in bits and pieces but will be time consuming.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 11:28:44 pm »

I wanted to apologize to Doug Peterson publicly for an earlier post. Doug and CI are great and mean the best. My tone was wrong, I just needed to say so.

Completely unnecessary, but appreciated and accepted none the less. I was also a bit defensive so I also apologize.

MACoberly

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 10:34:04 pm »

Did this problem ever get solved? I just did the same thing. The back showed the image after I shot it, I figured that it was done recording, so I pulled the card out and it beeped at me. I guess my new P45+ writes slower than my old P21+. I'm freaking out, three days of great shooting in Zions might be toast. Now I know why everyone uses smaller sized cards. So less damage is done when these things happen.

FWIW it's a sandisk 16g.

M>

Professional

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:33:48 pm »

I can't download the file, so how can i get the file to check it as well?
Pages: [1]   Go Up