Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Street Panos  (Read 2297 times)

tokengirl

Street Panos
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:52:46 am »

I tried something different yesterday afternoon (again).  I took my Horizon Perfekt swing lens pano camera out for a walk in South Beach.  Street photography is not something I have done much of, as I feel that I don't have the best eye for it.  Maybe it's because I don't do it enough, or maybe it's because it's just not what I'm good at.  I also took my M6 with me, and the roll of film I shot with that was just a disaster.  But the panoramic perspective was more interesting to me, and I think these came out all right. I like the extra wide view and the possibility of capturing more than one point of interest at once that it may bring from time to time.

These were all shot on Portra 160NC, developed at CVS Pharmacy, scanned at home.  I also shot a roll of Fuji Astia that I need to take to the real photo lab, so there may be more in a few days.

C&C much appreciated, this type of photography is foreign territory to me.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Street Panos
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:07:06 am »

I like the fifth pano best for its overall composition, consistent local interest, and the awnings.  Bruce Cox

popnfresh

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:45:05 pm »

#1 and #5 work best for me. The people seem to fit in their surroundings and there are interesting things going on. In #2 there isn't enough happening to hold my interest. In #3 the guy in the foreground is kind of interesting, but I don't feel there is a strong relationship between him and his context. I find the composition in #4 to be a bit awkward. The strong shadows bother me and I keep wanting to see more of what's happening to the right of the frame, but unfortunately that appears to be all in the shadows.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:08:34 pm »

Toke, They're all pretty and quite interesting but they're pictures of people on the street, not street photographs. There's a difference. Frankly, I'm not sure it's possible to do a street pano.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

shutterpup

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 02:08:17 pm »

Toke, They're all pretty and quite interesting but they're pictures of people on the street, not street photographs. There's a difference. Frankly, I'm not sure it's possible to do a street pano.

Ok Russ,
I just have to ask what the difference is, for those of us who don't know.

RSL

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 02:27:53 pm »

Pup, For an adequate response let me refer you to one of Cartier-Bresson's books of photographs, or to Robert Frank's The Americans. In my estimation the work of those two photographers, though I could include others, sets the standard for street photography. By that standard a street photograph needs to show something telling in the behavior or attitude or interrelationships of people, not just people strolling on a street.

tokengirl

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 04:32:53 pm »

Pup, For an adequate response let me refer you to one of Cartier-Bresson's books of photographs, or to Robert Frank's The Americans. In my estimation the work of those two photographers, though I could include others, sets the standard for street photography. By that standard a street photograph needs to show something telling in the behavior or attitude or interrelationships of people, not just people strolling on a street.

Thanks, it's helpful.  There actually is a story in the first photo, I think (note the dazed look of the gentleman in the floral print shirt as the young girls whizz by).  The others, not so much. 

Other than some photos I took at one wedding reception, I pretty much never have people in my photos.  I am in uncharted territory here.

RSL

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 04:57:04 pm »

Toke, You're right. That's close, though the picture's small enough that I can't be sure what he's doing. #3 comes even closer. If the guy with the bike and trailer (they'd call that a samblao in Thailand) were soliciting business from the girl walking by and she were responding in some way you'd have a real street photograph.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 12:43:17 am »

Some pano street photos here by Blake Andrews:

http://www.in-public.com/BlakeAndrews/image/1987

From iN-PUBLiC the home of street photography.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

popnfresh

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 12:30:21 pm »

From iN-PUBLiC the home of street photography.

That's nice to know. I always assumed street photography was homeless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up