Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image viewing on HDTV  (Read 2940 times)

Peter Riddell

Image viewing on HDTV
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:06:31 am »

When I "Save As", "Copy", or "Move" sRGB jpegs to an SD card for viewing on an HDTV I strike the following problem:

( a ) This happening will have wasted 50% of the card's capacity by the time I have filled it

( b ) As you can see, every second file cannot be opened anyhow. A message appears saying as much if I select one. It is impossible to just set up a slide show and relax. One has to use the remote control to select every second picture. The alternative being to wait for the selected viewing-period-per-slide to pass as the inaccessable file is given just as much time  as those that are opened for seeing.

( c ) I'm using Photoshop CS3. The computer is an iMac G5, Version 10.4.11., the TV a Panasonic Plasma.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Re: Image viewing on HDTV
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 06:46:31 am »

Clearly, some software on your computer is creating two "copies" of each file sent to the card, one of them hidden (well, hidden to the file browser at your computer, but not to your TV) and not displayable. If you look for "._ files" at Google, there are some pages about this problem.

Ray

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:00:11 am »

This seems a very odd situation to me. Here's a Mac owner who's having difficulty displaying his processed jpegs on a plasma TV, yet I have no trouble at all on my PC.

What is it with Mac systems that appears to make them so unsuitable for processing images for display on the ubiquitous plasma TV with SD card slot.

I know that there are both advantages and disadvantages with both systems and neither one can claim over all supremacy. But a simple matter of displaying a jpeg on an HDTV should not cause problems.

Do we need the expertise of a Jeff Schewe to solve this?

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:48:53 am »

Clearly, some software on your computer is creating two "copies" of each file sent to the card, one of them hidden (well, hidden to the file browser at your computer, but not to your TV) and not displayable. If you look for "._ files" at Google, there are some pages about this problem.
I agree, it looks like a new file is created for every existing JPEG file on the card. Files with names starting with "." are invisible to the Finder. The software used for slideshow or display on HDTV might generate those files, who knows!
I would try to delete those invisible files (Terminal or Path Finder [see link below]) and see if it solves you issue.

PathFinder for Mac OS X 10.4 and other: http://www.cocoatech.com/download
The trial versions are good for 30 days.
Francois

Cashimero

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 12:06:01 am »

One thing is certain, that your HDTV does not affect the performance of image viewing. I think the software or hardware might be the cause of the problem. Try to surf the net for the solution of this problem. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:42:51 am by Cashimero »

Peter Riddell

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 09:44:54 am »

Many thanks for the replies —  both Francois & Cashmero.

I have discovered that these extra files are called Resource Forks, and their existence go back to the early days of Mackintosh computers.

I have also found software which can allow them to be  effectively removed from jpegs one wants to view on HDTV. It is called GraphicConverter, and hails from Germany.

Thanks again. I seem to have now found the solution.

Peter 

francois

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 09:50:50 am »

Glad to hear that your issue is solved.

You're right, "._" files are resources forks. Before Mac OS X, a file could have both a data fork and a resource fork, both forks in one file. With Mac OS X, this was not possible anymore and the "._" file trick was used to circumvent the issue when dealing with legacy files.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up