Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo G1504 vs Manfrotto 161mk2b for MF/LF  (Read 4902 times)

Mr. Rib

Gitzo G1504 vs Manfrotto 161mk2b for MF/LF
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:08:27 pm »

Here's the dilemma- I'm getting a new tripod for MF system (and future LF system). I'm familiar with Manfrotto 161mk2b but I'm not very happy with it- I need my tripod to be a bit more versatile (good for outdoor/indoor use). 161mk2b is HUGE even when folded. Gitzo G1504 is smaller when folded and lighter, even with the center column Gitzo GS5310GS, can I get any feedback on the Gitzo from you? Is it as rock-solid as the Manfrotto? Again, I need it both for outdoor and indoor use. Cost is a factor as well and Gitzo would be significantly more expensive, especially with the column. The newest carbon systematic version are out of my budget at the moment.

Thanks

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: Gitzo G1504 vs Manfrotto 161mk2b for MF/LF
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 01:32:58 pm »

FWIW, I've been using one of the larger Induro pods with both 35mm and MF  for the last year, and rather like it. I doubt I would ever need anything heavier. Gitzos have given me nothing but grief at high price over the years, though a majority of photogs still swear by them.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

claudefiddler

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:25:14 am »

I used a Gitzo recorder for almost 30 years with a Linhof IV. Before I get pummelled for that not being a stable enough tripod for 4x5: I needed as little weight as possible as I carried my equipment to very remote places on extended mountaineering trips. I also printed my work to 32x40, a lot and at times to 40x50. My photos never suffered from the lightweight tripod use. I also used the tripod in uncountable talus fields, edges of cliffs, howling winds, tundra tussocks...etc. This was also the ONLY tripod I owned or used for three monographs of my photos.

I searched for a replacement for the Recorder and tried the 1504. The leg spread wasn't wide enough and this made me feel like a tripod leg kick would tip a camera/tripod set-up over. I looked hard at Gitzo and could not find the right combination of features.

I also looked at Induro models and that is the tripod I would have bought. But Really Right Stuff came out with their Versa line of tripods and they're the perfect combination, for me. I'm currently looking to replace the Linhof with a MFD system. I bought the Versa 23 with center column.

Justin Berman

• http://www.justinberman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:53:42 pm »

I also looked at Induro models and that is the tripod I would have bought. But Really Right Stuff came out with their Versa line of tripods and they're the perfect combination, for me. I'm currently looking to replace the Linhof with a MFD system. I bought the Versa 23 with center column.

Good god the RRS pods are expensive. I was not expecting a series of pods MORE expensive than Gitzo. Crikey!

claudefiddler

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:09:11 pm »

Quality ain't cheap.

The ouch caused by cost associated with high end equipment brings to mind the general hemming and hawing and moaning over the expense of camera gear. What about the vacations to photo land,  the time off work, the 4x4 truck with camper, the darkroom, the computer equipment, the time, the accountant to do the taxes, the website hosting, the software, the external drive, the subscriptions, the workshops, and on and on and on. Let's face it, this is one expensive hobby. For me at least I buy what I need and what I want, regardless the cost. I want my photography and the experience to be the best it can be.

My Labrador costs a couple grand a year but I love that dog. She's worth every penny for the return in the increase in my quality of life.

Yep the Versa is expensive. But if one wants a beautifully crafted piece of equipment that will last a life time and be a joy to use then....buy it. Or settle for....something else.

Claude Fiddler
wildernesslight.com
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:29:39 pm by claudefiddler »

cbthomas

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 03:48:52 am »

Not sure what your intended use is, but I can't say enough good things about the Bogen/Manfrotto 058B "Triaut."  I honestly think this is the single best, if not, top 3 best tripods ever created- and that's a hefty statement, I know.  For what I do (architecture mostly, some studio work), it couldn't be better.  I also have a 161, which I use for exteriors when I need the camera 9-10' off the ground.  While the 058B is only a few pounds lighter and 5" shorter than the 161 and  6" longer than the 1504 when collapsed, it is far easier to use than either of them.  I prefer fewer sections in trade for a slightly longer collapsed length, so that's where it edges out on the 1504 for me.  Think about it, in trade for a more compact folded length, you're going to have 3, 6, or even 9 more joints you have to adjust when extending the legs.

The key feature on the 058 that makes it so great is the one-touch release for the middle leg extension.  For the heights I shoot at in interiors, I can set the tripod up in 2-3 seconds- really!  I don't know of another tripod that can be set up this quickly- and definitely not 5 section tripod like the 1504.  I hold the "knuckle" of the tripod to about the height I want and simply hit the release lever and the legs pop out and down to the floor instantly.  When folding up, it's equally as fast to retract: simply hold up the tripod, hit the lever, and lower it to the ground while the legs retract.  If you've used the 161 for any length of time and got used to setting it up, this will be familiar and even easier.  The most confusing thing for most people is getting used to the mid-leg struts/supports, but after some time it becomes an instinctual adjustment really.

I've used a lot of tripods before, but this is by far my all-time favorite.  

Caveat: I don't think modern/recent Bogen tripods are as well built as Gitzo, but that shouldn't be a surprise.  IMO, the tubes could be a bit thicker on the legs; and the castings on the "pro" models are excessively chunky and heavy- counter to the situation of the more delicate legs.  I have a dent in one tube on my 161 that makes the lower section of one leg stick from time to time, but a light pull and it frees up.  Even with those problems, I have no regrets about my purchase of the 058B, even if I wear it out or break it within 5 years.  Yes, a Gitzo is a lifetime investment for a lot of people, but for me, the ease of use of the 058B is well worth the longevity tradeoff.  In fact, the cost of the 058B is low enough, I could buy a second one for a spare and second shooting platform and still have spent less than I would have on one 1504.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:50:51 am by cbthomas »
Pages: [1]   Go Up