Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One..prolly a dumb question  (Read 2517 times)

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
Phase One..prolly a dumb question
« on: October 09, 2010, 02:33:06 pm »

I seem to remember vaguely that you could upgrade your P back to a P+ back,
without trading it in. (similar to sending your H1 and having it converted to H2)

Is that possible? Or am I just hallucinating again?  ;D

Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Phase One..prolly a dumb question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:39:04 pm »

Sorry. This is not possible. Significant hardware differences (IR filter, LCD, internal heatsinking, buffer pathway, etc etc).

A good dealer can use your non plus back as a good trade-in value towards a plus back, though best value is almost always found while stepping up more than the half-step between a given non-plus and plus back (e.g. P30 to P40+ rather than P30 to P30+).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:41:30 pm by dougpetersonci »

bcooter

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:01:50 pm »

without trading it in. (similar to sending your H1 and having it converted to H2)

Is that possible? Or am I just hallucinating again?  ;D

Sorry for this being a little off topic, but something to think about.

Doing a quick search a p30 back sells through most dealers at around $8,000, a plus version 9 to 10 thousand, a p40+ demo at $16,000.

Now since you seem to be starting out, (and take this as a kindly suggestion), two thousand dollars will fund a nice addition to your portfolio, or a limited direct mail campaign.  $8,000 a multiple direct mail campaign.

I've had both backs a p30 and a p30+ and honestly couldn't tell much difference, except I liked the p30 screen better, especially in sunlight, so in a way your not gaining much in spending another $2,000 to $8,000.

I could see it if it was a lens you had to have for an effect, but for another 10 megapixels at best, you'll move your career further ahead by getting your work out to the buying customer.

Or even better yet, spend that $2,000 to $8,000 on meeting new clients and entertainment.  That will really move your career.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 04:04:44 pm by bcooter »

JV

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 04:14:51 pm »

best value is almost always found while stepping up more than the half-step between a given non-plus and plus back (e.g. P30 to P40+ rather than P30 to P30+).

I thought an upgrade from a P30+ (or a P30) to a P40+ was still $10K, hardly best value in my opinion, you might as well keep your current back as a backup and buy an entirely new back.

Chris Benes

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 05:12:02 pm »

Hi Alex,

Currently these is no upgrade path from a P30 to a P30+.  You can upgrade to a P40+ for $10,990.00.   Phase One is giving you $7990.00 for the value of your P30.   You can mount change and get into the DF Camera system for 35% percent less than buying it stand alone.   A Phase One Dealer can give you all your options.

Regards,

Chris Benes
DigitalFusion
http://www.phaseonesc.com

714-330-3166[chrisbenes@digitalfusion.com]

Alex MacPherson

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:55:23 pm »

I did some more googling.

There is an upgrade available that allows you to add Live View to a P30 back.
I think that this is what I was looking for. It would help immensely with the focus
mask tool and the Hasselblad V.

I need to know what that would cost.
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

TMARK

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 12:03:55 am »

Alex,

The Big Cooter laid down some wisdom.

You shouldn't need live view with a V blad for beauty. Have you use the Linhof?  I'd shoot some stuff with that, go to Modern Postcard and get 1000 cards printed, and mail them to people who buy photography, then visit them. A much, much better use of the cash.

Is that possible? Or am I just hallucinating again?  ;D

bcooter

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 05:58:03 am »

, go to Modern Postcard and get 1000 cards printed, and mail them to people who buy photography, then visit them. A much, much better use of the cash.

For some reason photographers are loathe to talk business, sales, etc., but will go on for days about buying equipment.

Maybe because equipment is tangible and you can hold it in your hand, but unless you have sales, you don't need equipment, at least if your in the shoot photos for money business.

It's interesting, I'm a buy guy, not a rent guy and though it keeps me familiar with my equipment and I believe once paid is a savings or even can be a profit center for my business.

Then again after reviewing last years finances, I believe had I just rented for most large projects, factoring in taxes, shipping, overage charges, upkeep, repairs, time spent, I would have probably come out ahead just renting everything.

Anyway, the guy positing his upgrade plans can run his business any way he sees fit, but trust me on this, live view for shooting people with medium format is not going to add much to the imagery and like T-mark says, for beauty you really don't need live view.  In fact it probably will make things worse than better as the model will melt by the time you futz around with the medium format live view system.

If your shooting a V series blad and you need to check focus, toss the viewfinder and buy a big loupe.  That will get you closer to hitting focus fast than any live view and save a grand or so.

IMO

BC

Alex MacPherson

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 10:42:48 am »

Thanks guys.

I appreciate your advice. It is easy to get carried away with gear.

Thanks for helping me see what my priorities should be.  ;)
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website
Pages: [1]   Go Up