Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One P40/45 vs Hasselblad H4d-40....What to Do?  (Read 39400 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Phase One P40/45 vs Hasselblad H4d-40....What to Do?
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2010, 07:53:43 am »

I would choose without hesitation the left image of Edmund's post.

The left, needless to say, is the Nikon - with noise added on purpose :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ondebanks

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2010, 10:03:01 am »

How does this compare with the KAF-37500 in the Leica S2?

Edmund

I wish I could tell you!

Strangely, Kodak has not released a data-sheet for the KAF-37500 - at least, it's not on their website with all the others; and Google returns nothing but Leica & Kodak PR references.

Ray

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2010, 10:13:35 am »

It seems to be microlensed.

I know the Bayer filters have changed from earlier generation, especially the red one, which may help with the skin tone.

I assume H is filtering out UV with a cover glass, L have a UV filter built into each S lens.

Edmund

PS. I don't quite buy 2 stops. Maybe they have 1.5 over previous generations. Some speed has been lost via added pixel density.

I wish I could tell you!

Strangely, Kodak has not released a data-sheet for the KAF-37500 - at least, it's not on their website with all the others; and Google returns nothing but Leica & Kodak PR references.

Ray

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

georgl

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2010, 03:54:48 am »

The S2 uses the very same sensor technology & architecture as the H4D40 and the Pentax 645D - there shouldn't be much difference in noise and dynamic range. Or something was done seriously wrong with the processing chain.

Claims such as "1 stop more sensitivity" with every generation are a little hasty, IMHO. Otherwise we would have ended up with noise-free ISO 3200 a long time ago...
ISO 800/640 looks acceptable with H4D40/S2/645D, while one stop beyond that hasn't much to with MF-quality anyway...
But I also don't buy claims of noise-free 20+MP-CMOS-cameras at this point.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:08:02 am by georgl »

Jay101

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2010, 04:25:22 am »

Thanks to all the contributions - going down a similar path to the original post so this is most useful

ondebanks

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2010, 06:45:22 am »

Claims such as "1 stop more sensitivity" with every generation are a little hasty, IMHO.

Hang on - "with every generation" - who claimed that? No-one in this thread, anyway.

Progress in MFD sensitivity has been painfully slow. You can study the sensor datasheets down the years, or generations if you prefer. Microlenses give an instant boost of about 1 stop. That's as good as it gets really. Readout noise has only halved, gradually, in the past decade (and that's only for the best cases: several backs being made now are still close to the noise of the backs a decade ago). CMOS readout noise has come down far more rapidly.

But I also don't buy claims of noise-free 20+MP-CMOS-cameras at this point.

Depends on your threshold for "noise-free", but if you are happy with readout noise of around 2-4 electrons, Canon are already there at mid ISOs and Nikon's D3x is there even at somewhat lower ISOs.
The great thing is that we don't need to rely on claims - this has been empirically measured, and anyone with such a camera can repeat and verify the measurements for themselves.

I suspect that at this stage, with readout noise almost beaten, FPN and PRNU mark the last remaining frontier where high end CMOS DSLRs can make further genuine noise reductions in everyday photography. Calibrating out PRNU wouldn't push the ISO range any further - the impact would be more visible in finessing the already excellent smoothness of high-signal regions of the image. It might be argued that there is no perceptible need for this, but having reached the point of greatly diminishing returns on other sensor issues, the DSLR manufacturers will always want a new technical improvement to tout over their rivals.

Ray

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2010, 04:41:33 am »

The Phase one has the new grip coming out or already out. I tested it this weekend for 3 days straight. Feels very good. It also has the profot air system built in.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up