Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most Efficient Import Workflow for LR3?  (Read 2073 times)

fennario

Most Efficient Import Workflow for LR3?
« on: October 07, 2010, 03:30:05 am »

Sorry if this has already been covered... ran a search and didn't see a thread on point.  I was wondering what the fastest way to import and render RAW images in LR3 (from card read to initial 1:1).  Am running a 2009 8 core Macpro with 4 1TB 7500 RPM drives and the older RAID card (3 internal HDs into a RAID 5 array which holds the catalogue).  I currently copy the files manually from a Lexar Firewire 800 to an auto-import folder onto the RAID5 drive rather than use LR3 to import from the card directly.  This seems to result in multiple "Operations" running vs a single operation (ie. am I currently running 500+ 1:1 preview operations in parallel over multiple processors and maximizing usage of the 8 cores as a result of moving files from the auto-import folder into the LR3 catalogue vs. a single import and 1:1 render process from the card directly into LR3 using only a single core/limited multi-core).  Any insight as to whether this speeds up the process/maximizes multi-cores would be most appreciated.

I was also wondering if anyone uses an internal SATA/eSATA UDMA CF card reader; and if so, how noticeable is the speed increase vs. a Firewire 800 UDMA reader.

Thanks.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Most Efficient Import Workflow for LR3?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:34:21 pm »

Why the initial copy? Import directly from the card and save effort and time.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:22:54 pm »

Agree; I import directly from my Sandisk Firewire reader.
Eric Chan

fennario

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 03:53:19 am »

For me direct import from card takes much longer than copying to the RAID from the firewire 800 reader using Finder, and then using LR3's "move" import function, not "copy", to import the images. This is from the time the card is inserted to when all of the 1:1 previews are generated.  There seems to be some slowdown during the auto-copy from card routine that is not present when done in 2 stages. Also, when you set up a drop-folder for imports, LR3 runs the 1:1 processes in parallel vs. one at a time as a single process as when you do a card import (the multitude of parallel operations is why I wonder if it is using the CPU cores/power more efficiently/effectively than would be the case with a regular import)

Have also just upgraded by adding a 6gb eSATA card and DroboS. Migrated the RAW/DNG to the Drobo; with the catalogue, cache, preferences, templates, and settings on the RAID; and LR itself on the boot. Auto-import folder is on the Drobo.  Net result is that things are starting to fly... no more delays moving between images while waiting for the next one to read/render and a very worthwhile upgrade so far.  Willing to attribute some of the gain to unloading the RAID which was getting overstuffed and undoubtedly affected performance as a result, but there is still a remarkable difference in the amount of time it takes to import and render with the auto-import folder as a move function on the same drive as the image repository vs. card import.

Willing to put it up to a quirk of my system, but was wondering about the multi-core usage.  Answer is beyond by technical expertise so wanted to seek a definitively answer from those that would really know. Thank you both for your replies and if you have any insight into the multi-thread aspect it would be most appreciated.

Best,
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up